Wrote a story.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
Haven't really written anything in years. I just finished this one up, and though I'll peruse it again tomorrow, I'm fairly happy with my initial results. The title, on the other hand, is currently rather wretched, and I'll probably change it sometime when it's not 5 in the morning. Read it anyway.

Sixteen Minutes

It was midnight. Adam’s 20th birthday had arrived. Celebrations, however, would have to wait until after he had completed the night’s duties. Still, the bottle of wine he removed from its spot between the small puddle of blood and the overturned table would likely come in handy in a couple hours. He glanced at the label before discretely placing it in his rucksack. A riesling. A good German wine. The previous owners, he decided, wouldn’t have much use for it anymore. Not where they were going. He slung is rifle around his shoulder and followed the rest of his compatriots out of the humble abode and into the streets, where he was greeted by shouts and cheers.

One of the men Adam’s regiment had been sent to deal with, a short, pig-faced bastard wearing a tattered brown jacket and flannel trousers, had escaped a neighboring house. A moment later, it must have been only a fraction of a second, one of Adam’s compatriots stormed out after him, pistol in hand, and tackled the escapee rather fiercely, striking the back of his head with the butt of his weapon. Adam recognized the other soldier as Heinrich, one of the few people from his youth he ever saw anymore. That he had gained enough respect to be given a leadership role didn’t surprise Adam much; his taking charge of the situation now was not a unique occurrence.

The pig-faced man’s body crumpled as he fell unconscious. Cheers erupted from the soldiers patrolling the street. “Hit him again, Heinrich!†someone yelled. Without hesitation, Heinrich complied, beating the back of the man’s head till his hair was matted with blood.

Adam looked at his watch. 12:04. Heinrich must have pummeled that bastard for a full three! The assailant rose to his feet and dusted off his trousers, spitting on the bloodied lump lying in the reddened dirt, which, by this time, was surely a corpse. Heinrich bent down to retrieve his helmet, which had fallen to the ground in the excitement. He brushed off the lightening bolts displayed on the front and put it on, laughing and bragging about his latest accomplishment.

Such a display of superiority reassured Adam of a great many things, not the least of which was the purpose of this particular expedition. He smiled, shouting, “Way to show him who’s boss, Heinrich!†He’d be sure to allow Heinrich an extra swig from the bottle when they returned to camp.

It was midnight. Adam’s 18th birthday had arrived. Though his party would have to wait until tomorrow, Adam had stayed up in his bedroom all night, waiting for this moment. He enjoyed birthdays. Another year of life. “And what a beautiful life it is!†he thought to himself. Everything about it was simply wonderful; his family, his friends, his small flat in the city. Even school, which Adam had never excelled at, was going quite well for him.

He had always been quite the optimist. He had never had an ounce of ill will towards any of his schoolmates, he found hope in even the darkest of situations, and, even when he was a child, he was the last boy to scurry inside when the weather turned foul. He deserved this smallest of celebrations before the party in the morning. He relished the opportunity to sit in the privacy of his own bedroom and reflect upon his past and, more enthusiastically, his bright future.

He popped the cork of the bottle of riesling he bought earlier that day and poured himself a glass. Just one glass tonight. He’d share the rest with friends tomorrow, but this was his moment and his alone. He brought the glass to his mouth, allowing the aromatic fragrances of the beverage to caress first his mouth, then his eager nostrils. Finally, he allowed the sweet, dry liquid to grace his lips.

Before he could take a sip, however, he heard a loud knock at the front door. “Bloody hell,†he muttered as he glanced at his watch. 12:01. Another knock, but this one was more frantic than the last. He quickly left his seat and went to the door in time to see his mother poke her head from her bedroom door.

“Who could that possibly be this late at night?†his mother fumed as the knocking started yet again.

“Don’t worry, mother, I’ll handle it. Go back to sleep.†Adam opened the door quickly and, though he felt only a mild annoyance, he allowed his face to feign a look of anger, a skill he was sure he had gotten from his father, God rest his soul. “What the hell is your problem, knocking at this -â€

Despite the look of absolute terror on his face, Adam recognized the man at the door. “Christoph?†he asked, puzzled.

“Adam, Adam you’ve got to help me!†He rushed in before Adam could invite him and slammed the door. “Please, Adam. Hide me! Tell them I’m not here!â€

“Christoph, who? Tell who you’re not here?â€

“Haven’t you heard? Don’t you read the papers? Please, they broke into my father’s shop, they broke into our home! My parents, my sister, I think they’re...oh, God, Adam, please help!†Christoph’s contorted facial expressions had grown only more fiercely terrified since he had entered. He started frantically toward Adam’s bedroom, but Adam grabbed his arm.

“Christoph, we’ve not talked in nearly two years. Two years! You want my help, I don’t even know what’s going on, and we don’t even know each other anymore. Please, Christoph, I think you should leave.â€

“Don’t you understand! They’re coming after me, they’re coming after all of us! They burned down our -.†He broke free and, rather than finishing his sentence, jumped into Adam’s room. “Look, hide me under your bed, something. When they come asking for me, tell them I’m not here! Tell them...tell them something! Anything! Anything, Adam!â€

Adam followed Christoph into the small bedroom, but this time his angered expression was hardly a fake. “We are no longer friends, and we’ve not been friends for a very long time. Get out of my home, now, before I call the police.†He once again grabbed his unwelcome guest’s arm, only this time forcefully enough to mix a bit of pain into Christoph’s terrified expression. With his free hand, Christoph shoved back at Adam, yelling, “I used to able to trust you! Don’t you understand what’s happening?â€

“I said get out!†Adam balled his fist and threw a mighty punch at Christoph, hitting him squarely in the nose with a force so powerful, he fell back into the end table on which the freshly-opened bottle of riesling sat. Table, bottle, and Christoph toppled to the floor, and both men stared angrily at each other for what seemed an eternity. Christoph’s eyes were so familiar to Adam, but he had never seen them filled with such hatred and rage. But there was something else there, a sense of disappointment that had never been directed at Adam before. A brief pang of guilt struck at Adam’s heart, though he was unsure why; Christoph was one of them. After an eternity of uneasy silence, Adam finally muttered, “Leave, Christoph. I can’t help you.â€

Christoph rose to his feet, watching Adam over his shoulder as he shuffled first out of the bedroom, then to the front door of the flat, ignoring the steady stream of blood spewing from his nose. Adam shut the door behind him and, upon turning around, noticed his mother watching him, still in her bright white nightgown. “You did the right thing, Adam,†she said quietly. “The right thing. Now g to bed, please.â€

Adam looked at his watch. 12:04. That fiasco had lasted only three minutes, but it had ruined his special moment. He walked into his room and, sighing, removed the bottle of wine from its spot between the small pool of blood and the overturned table.

(cont.)

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
It was midnight. Adam’s 16th birthday had arrived. He was not yet asleep. He and his friend Christoph were too busy having an enthralling conversation to sleep. Camping was too thrilling a concept for both boys for them to be tired now!

“Just last month,†Christoph was saying, “I went camping with my uncle. It was an incredible experience, the forest and the animals. And one day, the weather was clear enough for us to even see the mountains in the distance!â€
(cont. from above)

Adam smiled excitedly. Next week, he was going camping for the first time with a youth organization his father had signed him up for. “Oh, wow, I hope this camp is like that. The older boys told me about lots of great things they do at these camps. Races and swimming and football and archery and everything, I’m very excited!â€

“Hey, remember when we were playing football in the alley a couple years ago and Heinrich fell and scraped his knee?†Christoph laughed.

“Oh, yeah, and he was crying about it for almost five minutes until Herr Binder came out and wiped off his knees and put his cap back on for him! Still, I almost wish we hadn’t laughed at him so hard. He’s a good kid now, he’s helping me with my schoolwork on weekends.â€

At that moment, the boys heard an unexpected commotion from the living room. “What did you say?†Adam heard his father exclaim. Both Adam and Christoph turned their heads to the door in confusion. “You’re what?†Adam stood from his bed and silently cracked open his bedroom door so he and his friend could better hear the conversation. “Listen, Elias, I think you should leave. Take your boy and leave.â€

“But why?†Elias asked, confused. “Eduard, we’ve been friends for two years. Two years! Why would you allow this to affect our friendship? And what about the boys?â€

“I don’t want my boy hanging out with your boy any longer!†Adam’s father had raised his voice considerably. “Had I known you were one of them, I would have never allowed you into this house! And I would have certainly not allowed my son to associate himself with yours!â€

Adam and Christoph exchanged confused glances. “Why are they fighting?†Christoph whispered. “Weren’t they having a glass of wine together just a few minutes ago?â€

“Yeah, I don’t know what’s going on,†Adam answered.

From the living room, they heard Elias’s voice again, only slightly louder than before. “Why should it matter, Ed? Because they say it should? You don’t have to listen to them! You don’t have to -.â€

“What was that, you son of a bitch?†Adam’s father yelled. Adam had never known his father to be an angry man. He had never been anything short of congenial to anyone before, and even when his son had gotten in trouble, Adam could tell the anger was only an act. “You dare speak of the government like that? They’ve done nothing, nothing, but help this great nation rebuild, despite constant interference from the likes of you! Get out of my home now, before I call the police!â€

Christoph had begun to cry, but his soft sobs were drowned out by the retort of his father. “They’ve done nothing but create a frenzy! Where there was once peace and calm, there is a bloodlust brewing, and it’s the fault of people like you, Ed, who refuse to believe your own beliefs, who refuse to -!†His rant was cut short by a dull smack, followed by a loud crash.

“Oh, God, Adam, I think your father just hit mine!†Christoph stormed from the room to check on his father, a terrified look painted on his face. Adam followed more slowly, cautiously approaching one of the most horrifying scenes he had ever witnessed. Christoph’s father was hunched on the floor, holding his nose as it was profusely bleeding. Christoph, probably wisely, had opted to make sure his father wasn’t injured badly instead of offering his own voice in the argument. The table the two men had once sat behind was on its side, the wine that had once sat upon it already soaking into the carpet.

Christoph helped his father up. Elias looked at Adam’s father with a fierce hatred in his eyes. But beneath the hatred, Adam noticed something much more subtle. A sad disappointment escaped the blinding veil of anger, a disappointment much deeper than anything Adam had ever seen. Christoph’s bloodied father backed to the front door, opened it, and waked out, not taking his eyes from Eduard until he was out of sight.

Adam and Christoph stared at one another as if to ask, “What now?†Adam felt a brief pang of guilt struck at Adam’s heart, though he was unsure why; after all, it was his father raving about Elias being one of them, not Adam. After an eternity of silence, Eduard grabbed hold of Christoph’s arm and pulled him towards the door. Christoph offered a hint of resistance, not wishing to leave his friend, but Adam knew his head was cooler than that. “Leave, Christoph. I can’t help you.â€

Eduard closed the door, shutting out both Christoph and Eduard, probably forever. He turned slowly to see his son, still in the living room, his face ghostly white. “I did the right thing, son,†he said shakily. “ The right thing. Now go to bed, please.†As he backed out of the living room, he saw his father pick up the wine bottle, the word, “riesling†visible behind his fingers, from the place on the floor between the spot of blood and the overturned table. Adam looked at his watch. 12:04. The fight had lasted only three minutes, yet Adam somehow felt this incident would have implications for the rest of his life.

It was midnight. Adam’s 14th birthday had arrived. He didn’t notice. He was too busy playing football in the alley next to his building. Typically, it was unusual for he and his friends to be out this late, but today wasn’t a normal day. Adam’s parents were throwing a house party, and had allowed the guests to bring their children so Adam could celebrate his birthday with his friends. This particular game of football had been going for a good two hours now, with only the occasional interruption from one of the parents, either to check on their well-being or to tell them to try and be a bit quieter.

Adam’s team was winning by quite a large margin, supposedly because the other team’s goaltender had trouble seeing the ball against the streetlight in front of him, though both Adam and his new friend Christoph suspected it was actually because they were forced to play with Heinrich on their team. “What a wuss,†they had agreed earlier. “It’s too bad Herr Binder had to bring him along. He must’ve thought we actually like him.†He was short, scrawny, and quite clumsy, known in school more for his intelligence than any kind of athletic ability. So it was really no problem for Adam to dribble past him and score another goal for his team. Even though he’d not touched Heinrich, he heard a thud from behind him, but he didn’t let the loud, infantile cries of pain detract from his celebration as the football bounced off the old sideways table they were using as a goal.

“Oh, hell, what’s wrong with you this time, Heinrich?†an older boy named Gustav complained.

“I hurt my knee-hee-hee!†Heinrich screamed through a stream of sobs. “It hurts! Oh, no, my new trousers -.†He let out another steady burst of childish sobs. “They’re ripped. And I’m bleeding! Ow, ow-how!â€

“Oh, God, you’re such a baby,†Christoph said. “Come on, get up, you baby!â€

Adam laughed. “Yeah, you’re not going to be a wuss forever, are you? You’re almost fourteen now, it’s time to grow up! Grow up, little boy!†He laughed again, partly to drown out Heinrich’s ever-louder crying.

At that moment, Herr Binder, Heinrich’s father, rushed around the corner, hearing his son’s cries of pain even through the thick windows and stone masonry of the building. He quickly jogged to his son’s side, pulled his handkerchief from his breast pocket, and, kneeling, began to wipe the blood from his son’s bruised knee.

After a brief moment, he looked up at the rest of his children, his eyes filled with anger. “Why did none of you help him? You could do nothing but stand there and laugh at him? You’re all spoiled little children, rotten children!†But Adam saw something else in his eyes. A painful disappointment, directed towards the children he thought were his son’s friends. Adam had never been looked at that way before. A brief pang of guilt struck at Adam’s heart, and he knew why. He should have helped Heinrich. He should have felt compassion for the other child’s misfortune, even though he and his friends didn’t feel Heinrich was one of them. “I’m telling all of your parents what happened here, all of them,†Herr Binder said softly as he and his son stood. They began to walk away hand-in-hand, Herr Binder’s eyes never leaving the now-silent group of children. “We’re leaving. Couldn’t any of you have helped him?â€

Christoph leaned over to Adam. Both boys were visibly shaking. “Adam, he’s doing the right thing, telling our parents,†Christoph whispered. “The right thing.I think...now we should go in and to bed, please.†Adam reached down and picked the ball from its resting place between the streak of blood on the ground and the overturned table. As he began to walk away, he glanced at his watch. 12:04. In only three minutes, he had gone from a victorious football champion to a poor, wretched soul. Feeling awful about himself, he vowed to be a better person in the future. Never again would he allow himself to hurt people like Heinrich. Never again.

Jan 1, 1970
Columbus, Ohio
Damn! read the first few paragraphs... gonna print this off and read it when I get home. So far looks great. Spen, have you ever read the Jaz Parks novels by Jennifer Rardin? You'r style of writing is simular to her's. BTW, if you haven't read the Jaz Parks series, you should check it out I think you'd get into them.