Worlds of the Astro Repbulic

Halchiron, a desolate world of storms. Sometimes used by smugglers and pirates as a base, due to it's dangerous climes. Halchiron is in an out of the way place in the Hinterlands, and the route's too it have fallen into disuse with the later discovery of newer route's between the major worlds of the Hinterlands. To say Halchiron is on a "backroad" is being generous, a "dirt road" in the middle of a forrest would be more accurate.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
This is one of Argosia's favourite tourist spots. It's in a Natural Protection Zone, to protect the landscape mostly, as very few animal species live on Argosia.

Hey Lens, I'll assume for a minute you did the one ith trees in Bryce, but I gotta ask, how did you get that planet into it?
I'm using Bryce5 (thank you Kazaa) but putting planets in should be no problem with Bryce (any version), as opposed to Terragen (which is more photo realistic). To do it, just create a sphere, texture it, then enlarge it and move it WAAAAAY in the background so that the natural fog and distance FX give it the appropriate look. Tweak size and placement as needed. Simple process, looks cool. :D

The trick on that particular one was getting the rings and to make them look right. I'm not familiar with the finer details of Bryce, so I don't know how to make them semi-transparent. Can prolly do it in Photoshop when the need arises.

Nice pic, by the way. Terragen right? Avernus was done with Terragen, as was another world (not seen) named Caradon.

The program that I really want to use is Vue D'Spirit. I have it (again, thank you Kazaa) but Win2000 won't, for some reason, run it. It's easier to use than Bryce, IMO, and I think the overall quality is better. In Bryce, I can never have any land close up that doesn't look fake.

Sirgets

AKA SIRGETS
Jan 1, 1970
CANADA EH!
I think i am going to download these programs too guys and give this whole world building thing a try.....mind you i am nothing even close to artistic but it is worth a shot.

think i am going to download these programs too guys and give this whole world building thing a try

The quickest and easiest program to find and use is Terragen. That's what Cymro looks to be using. Like most programs, you can just hit the "generate landscape" button and it'll do that for you. You can raise or lower the land in Terragen, texture the landscape with snow or grass, put water in (the best water fx is Terragen, imo) and place and resize the lightsoure (sun). But Terragen won't allow you to create other objects if I recall. So you won't be able to add in planets or moons. Unless you use Photoshop, but that get's tricky when you want clouds in to establish depth.

But, as I said, it's quick and easy to find and use. It's freeware. If you have a file sharing program, I'd just go find Bryce or Vue. More freedom there.

Deslok

regruntled and reemployed
Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
These are really nice pictures you guys. They all make great wallpaper BTW.

Cymro, I think it would be cool if you post all your pictures in their own thread, that way a user can skim the Astroverse archives more efficiently. Nice job though.

EDIT: Just d/loaded Terragen. Not a resource killer. I like it. Fast download too. Reading thru the tutorial.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I did use terragen, And I think it's great at making water, which is why I had to make alake with it, I mean, you could almost mistake that picture for a real one it looks so fucking real.

I had Bryce 5 on my old machine, but I promptly deleted it because it was running very slow, and rendering was a long long drag, but I'm downloading it again now, since my new machine has something like 8 or 9 times the processing power, 16 times the RAM, 64 times more Video RAM, and 44 times the ard drive space :)

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I think you can merge LW with the landscapes produced in TG
Yeah, but it won't export anything but the basic terrain model, no surfaces, no water, and none of the bump maps, it's pretty useless unless you''re skilled in LW at making such things.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010

Cymro, I think it would be cool if you  post all your pictures in their own thread, that way a user can skim the Astroverse archives more efficiently.  Nice job though.
Des,

You're the moderator 'round here. You have the power to separate posts out of a thread, and to create a new thread based on those posts. Check out the 'split' feature.

On another note, Teragen ROCKS!

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, it's not hard to do some real good work...and it's also not hard to completely screw it up.