Why Can't I Do It?

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Why the hell can't I write a personal essay? 500 simple words on why I should be accepted. I could write double the number of words selling real-estate on the sun. I could publish a pamphlet for my exclusive line of submarine screen doors. I could do an illustrated graphic showing the importance of giving a drowning man an ancor.

Why is it I can sell just about anything, except myself?

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
Because we were brought up that it is impolite to talk about yourself positively that it would seem like bragging. you must be modest, right?

I went through the same thing about a year ago. In order to get a promotion I wanted, I had to basically whore myself out. I had to make appointments with Senior executives and tell them why I am an asset to the company. It is the most uncomfortable thing in the world to do.

If you really get stuck, there is a book called "Brag: The art of tooting your own horn!" by Peggy Klaus. This book was a HUGE help in getting around that whole inabaility to talk about oneself without thinking you are bragging. I recommend it totally.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I like to think that it's cause we spend our entire lives taking our own usefullness for granted. When you go to buy a stereo, you have to weigh the pros and cons of it. When you buy a car, you have to think about it. Even when you pass by these things, you sometimes go over in your head why you would want it, orhow you could obtain it.

YOU on the other hand, are not something that you can turn down, or decide not to have. So you never think about WHY you should want you. It;s just a given that you're stuck with YOU so there's no need to think about it.

One of the questions on the standardized hiring interview I use is (paraphrasing of course)
"Other than previous work experience and education, why do you think you'd be a good choice as a new employee with this company?"

And the truth is, I don't even listen to the answer. I'm not supposed to. Essays and questions like this one in hiring situations are meant to throw you off guard. To see how you cope with an unusual situation/ To tell you the truth, the answers to every question on the standardized test don't matter one bit. It's how you react to being asked, and how you deal with the unexpected. We want to see if the employee is gonna react in a way that sets him apart from the rest of the candidates.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, maybe they actually do care about the specifics of your response, but personally I would worry about it too much. Just write what you believe. If you think you're the best candidate they could hire, write it.

I hope that all made sense. I have deep thoughts sometimes, I just have trouble articulating them :D

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
One of the questions on the standardized hiring interview I use is (paraphrasing of course)
"Other than previous work experience and education, why do you think you'd be a good choice as a new employee with this company?"
Yeah, but it's easy in a verbal situation. Like you say, they're looking for reactions, not responses. In a written situation, especially when writing was a key componant of your degree, they're not just looking at the answer (and yeah, people have been tossed based solely on their response), but also on how you organize/present the information.

The fact that I basically took my last year of college off isn't a good thing, either. :rolleyes: