Voyager rewatch. Random thoughts.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Just finished "Half A Life". I never much liked this when I was a kid, but watching as an adult, I feel it's a lovely little episode. It doesn't quite have the "holy shit that was good!" magic of a five-star episode, but save Michelle Forbes' hair, it doesn't really have any flaws. It's just a nice little drama about a late-middle aged couple that meditates on an increasingly relevant social issue. It gets extra points for taking the ridiculous, over-the-top character of Lwaxanna, and believably turning her into a three-dimensional, vulnerable, and very identifiable human being in the course of forty minutes. Bravo.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2006
I think Bashir's reaction to Data was quite telling in that regard. He was fascinated in him as a piece of bio-mechanical equipment, and required some prodding to remember that he was dealing with a sentient being.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Bashir's reaction was perfect for his young, ambitious character. It was almost a child like waonder. This is the guy who wanted to get out onto the frontier and experience new things etc..

Meeting Data was probably a dream come true for him, and he treated him with respect the entire time.

Unlike Pulaski who I believe compared him to a replicator at one point.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Bashir's reaction was perfect for his young, ambitious character. It was almost a child like waonder. This is the guy who wanted to get out onto the frontier and experience new things etc..

Meeting Data was probably a dream come true for him, and he treated him with respect the entire time.

Unlike Pulaski who I believe compared him to a replicator at one point.
Yeah, the Data and Bashir interaction was one of the better implementations of their intentions to have Bashir be a young, inexperienced but energetic officer.

And despite the fact that he was fascinated with Datas artificial nature, he still seemed to recognize him as a sentient being.

Also, fuck Pulaski.