Voyager rewatch. Random thoughts.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Unimatrix Zero: Janeway, Tuvok and Belanna all get assimilated on purpose and because of *insert plot device I missed* they manage to retain their individuality. My god... I mean... wow...

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
And do you know what REALLY bugs me about the whole magic assimilation resistance shit? At the end of the episode, *magic plot device, blah blah blah* they're all saved.

That doesn't bother me so much. The Doctor was able to remove all of their implants, and THAT doesn't bother me so much either. No, what really bugs me is that somehow, magically, without explanation, ALL OF THEIR HAIR IS BACK TO NORMAL! Same length, same color, same style etc... WHAT THE HELL???

*bangs head off wall repeatedly*

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Holy hell.. First episode after the Unimatrix Zero crap. In that two parter the Delta Flyer was destroyed. I don't mean damaged, I mean it exploded after being shot by two or three Borg torpedoes.

This episode, it's magically repaired and in full working order. *sigh*

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Unimatrix Zero is proof that Brannon Braga's style is to just take a whacky idea and run with it, without thinking it through. He also has no understanding of science, yet still writes about it.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Unimatrix Zero is proof that Brannon Braga's style is to just take a whacky idea and run with it, without thinking it through. He also has no understanding of science, yet still writes about it.
Exactly. He takes what's usually a great idea (Breaking the warp 10 barrier, a Borg resistance due to a glitch etc..) and it starts off ok. Then it seems like he has no idea where to go with it so it totally loses steam.

In all honesty, the first 3 quarters of the first part of Unimatrix Zero were actually half decent. But then in the last 15 minutes of part one, and all of part 2, it was pure nonsensical crap.

Threshold, arguably in the top three worst episodes of all of Star Trek, was actually a fantastic premise, it was just executed so horribly.

I'm willing to bet that most of these ideas are taken from other writers. It would explain the utter lack of consistency in quality from premise to execution.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Well, the guy's biggest problem is that he has no idea about how to be entertaining. I'm not a writer, but with some analasys, I can look at why the films, TV shows and books I like work so well, and why they're so popular, and why the things he writes are usually so bad.

He never got character interactions, involving the audience in the story emotionally, or why it's good to give hero characters limits.

And he never understood that when you have a cool idea, but there's no way to make it work with the story and characters you have, you should just give it up. Which is an especially bad problem for someone who's really into big mindfuck ideas.

Threshold is a perfect example. He takes breaking the barrier of infinite speed, which has a lot of potential, then uses it to answer his stupid mindfuck question of "What if we're actually evolving backwards?". Well Brannon, you have no idea how evolution works, so maybe you should do some fucking research before writing the story, but I'll give you a hint: the speed at which a creature travels has no relation to it's evolution.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
And yes Cymro, I agree with everything you said there. He always seemed to think that entertainment equalled "you know what would look cool?". Now that I think of it, most of the Voyager episodes aren't coherent stories, but bland generic conversation between a few moments of "Oh that's SO cool!" or "Oh did Janeway REALLY say that??".

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Holy flying fuckballs Batman!

Harry gets laid with an alien, something that poses no danger to the crew or the aliens, breaks no alien laws etc.. and he gets the lecture of a lifetime, a massive fucking guilt trip and a formal reprimand leaving a permanent black mark on his record.

The Doctor sides with renegade holograms that Janeway is trying to shut down, provides them with tactical information that allows them to evade Voyager, not to mention kidnap Belanna (and could allow them to destroy the ship). Janeway's response when the Doctor (rightfully) suggests he should be punished? "How can I punish you for being what you are?"

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK!!! It hurts, I swear to Christ, it fucking hurts!

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
So even floor plans are subject to inconsistencies. In every single episode I've watched, the captains ready room opens up directly onto the bridge. No alcove between them, nothing.

In season sevens Shattered, it opens up onto a corridor. But moments before that when they walked INTO the room, there was no such corridor.

Yup guys, I'm that bored.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The Void. An entertaining episode if not a paint by numbers predictable. Still, noting in the episode stood out as a glaring irritant, which I suppose has become my measuring stick for this goddamned show.

I'm skipping Workforce 1 and 2. Not because it's bad, but because I remember it very well and it just bored the shit out of me. Also, Q2.. I refuse to watch it. They raped the Borg, I'm not going to submit myself to the degradations this series wrought on Q.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Author Author.

This is a perfect example of what Cymro and I were talking about earlier though the credits go primarily to two other writers. Braga only gets story credit.

The episode takes the premise of Measure of a Man, which was a great premise, and turns it into comedy relief. Horrible, horrible comedy relief..

Thank God.. I'm almost there.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Homestead. (Neelixs big goodbye)

Nothing really standout about this episode, though the Delta Flyer's emergency landing does bring an interesting thought to mind. Why are there so many "emergency landings" in this series. Why would a spaceship have to make an emergency landing? Particularly in a case like this where they're landing on an asteroid with no atmosphere?

Also, the Talaxians in this episode are some of the most boring, unconvincing characters in the entire series. It's like the actors were told to be boring and mundane to focus more attention on Neelix. And I can actually believe that scenario happened.

I'm skipping the penultimate episode "Renaissance Man". I remember it. I also remember it being stupid. Absolutely stupid.

I was gonna go to bed but fuck it. Onto Endgame. Let's get this shit over with.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I'm watching TNG in HD and I'm actually enjoying season 1 a lot more than I thought, reading your Voyager reactions might have something to do with that. At least with early TNG you can appreciate what they were trying to do, and Wesley gets less obnoxious as the show goes on.