Voyager. Oh, shit.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x14 "Bliss" - The Voyager crew believes they have discovered a wormhole that leads all the way back to Earth, but Seven and Naomi learn the truth: the ship has been swallowed by a massive space creature that eats starships. This one is a lot of fun, I really liked it. W. Morgan Sheppard is fun, and even though I feel like I should be annoyed by the Naomi character, I actually quite like her; though she's obviously far more mature for her age than she should be.

5x15/5x16 "Dark Frontier" - Voyager plans to steal a transwarp conduit from a Borg ship, and the Queen threatens to assimilate the entire crew unless Seven rejoins the Collective. Aside from the obvious continuity errors, 'Dark Frontier' is just freaking boring. None of the action sequences are all that impressive, the musical score is boring... there's just no energy to any of it. Voyager usually does pretty well with its two-parters, but this one is a big fail.

5x17 "The Disease" - Kim disobeys protocol and has sex with an alien woman, and subsequently becomes biologically linked to her. This one's pretty cool. The special effects are quite good, and it's nice to see Kim showing a little backbone. But at this point, Voyager is only something like 40,000 light years from home and yet Janeway is talking about Voyager possibly being a generational ship, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x18 "Course: Oblivion" - After Tom and B'Elanna get married, the crew begins to dissolve... and so does the ship. I like this one a lot; it's sort of a twist on an alternate universe story, but also a sequel to a previous episode. It's better than the original 'Demon' episode, and has some nice special effects and make-up work.

5x19 "The Fight" - Chakotay starts to go insane and must participate in a hallucinatory boxing match while the ship is caught in something called 'chaotic space.' .......................the fuck? Like, seriously. This might be one of Robert Beltran's worst performances as Chakotay. Ray Walston appears as a fake Boothby once again, but is mostly wasted.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I don't think it takes away from the character, really, since he IS a computer program and programs can be easily copied.

As much as I like the Doctor, I think they go too far trying to humanize him. In "Living Witness" he actually struggles to remember someone's name, which honestly is a little bizarre to me since he's a computer program.
I'm sure the machinery needed to run the Doctor took up a lot more physical space and power, but his software was obviously more advanced than Data's. They really should have been more impressed by how sophisticated an AI he actually was, especially as he developed and began to display genuine creativity and a capacity to form authentic emotional bonds with people.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
5x17 "The Disease" - Kim disobeys protocol and has sex with an alien woman, and subsequently becomes biologically linked to her. This one's pretty cool. The special effects are quite good, and it's nice to see Kim showing a little backbone. But at this point, Voyager is only something like 40,000 light years from home and yet Janeway is talking about Voyager possibly being a generational ship, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Have you seen how fast Janeway is getting these people home? If it weren't for the large gaps they've closed in Timeless and Dark Frontier, Janeway would only actually be about 2 months closer to the Alpha quadrant.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x20 "Think Tank" - George Costanza hires some alien bounty hunters to attack Voyager so he can steal Seven of Nine. Not a poorly written episode by any means, but not spectacular. The concept of alien bounty hunters closing in on Voyager is one that could have been stretched out over more than one episode, but it's not really the focus here. Instead, we get a lot of Jason Alexander just sort of being weird. His performance is distracting, but otherwise this is a decent enough entry.

5x21 "Juggernaut" - The Voyager crew attempts to stop an out-of-control Malon freighter from exploding and irradiating a vast area of space. Again, not a bad episode, but one thing just bugs me: Voyager left the Malon 20,000 light years behind them in "Dark Frontier," but here we meet them again and they talk about how this is only a seasonal job for them. This episode doesn't make sense after "Dark Frontier," but it's fairly decent beyond that.

5x22 "Someone to Watch Over Me" - The Doctor begins to realize he has romantic feelings for Seven when he begins to help her develop her dating skills. There's not one iota of science fiction or action in this episode, but it works. The Doctor is easily the show's most likeable character, and the script for this episode allows that to shine. Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan are clearly having a good time in this episode, and there's a general warm atmosphere that makes the whole thing easy to watch. It's one of the few times that 'Voyager' has aimed for comedy and actually gotten it right.

5x23 "11:59" - Captain Janeway discovers that the stories her family told her about an ancestor may not be true. I like what the show was going for in this one, but honestly I don't think it really works. The scenes of the crew just sort of socializing together are nice, and really show off the cast's chemistry with each other, but the flashbacks to the year 2000 aren't all that interesting. The actor cast as a romantic interest for Kate Mulgrew just seems too old for the role.

5x24 "Relativity" - Captain Braxton returns from the future and recruits Seven to find and stop a temporal saboteur from destroying Voyager. This episode is a lot of fun, although it ignores the ending of "Future's End." The special effects for the shipyards over Mars are pretty impressive, and jumping back and forth to different time periods is fun and the revelation of who the bomber is works well.

5x25 "Warhead" - The Doctor's program is taken over by a sentient missile intent on using Voyager to deliver it to its target. Robert Picardo gives a good performance, but otherwise this episode isn't anything to write home about. The problem is that there rarely feels like an element of danger. The ship is still under Janeway's control, so much so that she even stops the ship to talk with one of Neelix's friends to beam him aboard and ask him for help. It's just too slow-going and lackadaisical an episode to really have an impact.

5x26 "Equinox, Part I" - Voyager encounters another Federation starship, the Equinox, which was also brought to the Delta Quadrant five years earlier by the Caretaker. If this episode had occurred a couple years earlier, maybe it would've worked better. But even separated by a few months, it seems highly unlikely that it would take five years for these two ships to catch up to one another. To make matters worse, one of the Equinox crew is Torres' ex-boyfriend, which stretches credibility even further. Despite these problems, it's a reasonably entertaining episode, though not quite up to some of Voyager's other cliffhangers.

Jun 13, 2006
5x21 "Juggernaut" - The Voyager crew attempts to stop an out-of-control Malon freighter from exploding and irradiating a vast area of space. Again, not a bad episode, but one thing just bugs me: Voyager left the Malon 20,000 light years behind them in "Dark Frontier," but here we meet them again and they talk about how this is only a seasonal job for them. This episode doesn't make sense after "Dark Frontier," but it's fairly decent beyond that.

Wasn't there something about a wormhole or other space/time portal in here?

5x22 "Someone to Watch Over Me" - The Doctor begins to realize he has romantic feelings for Seven when he begins to help her develop her dating skills. There's not one iota of science fiction or action in this episode, but it works. The Doctor is easily the show's most likeable character, and the script for this episode allows that to shine. Robert Picardo and Jeri Ryan are clearly having a good time in this episode, and there's a general warm atmosphere that makes the whole thing easy to watch. It's one of the few times that 'Voyager' has aimed for comedy and actually gotten it right.

One of my very favorite Voyager episodes. Picardo and Ryan are magic on-screen together.

5x24 "Relativity" - Captain Braxton returns from the future and recruits Seven to find and stop a temporal saboteur from destroying Voyager. This episode is a lot of fun, although it ignores the ending of "Future's End." The special effects for the shipyards over Mars are pretty impressive, and jumping back and forth to different time periods is fun and the revelation of who the bomber is works well.

Wasn't that Braxton from a point before "Future's End," or an alternate timeline version, or something of the sort? I thought they tried to explain it in the ep.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
The Malon use a subspace vortex in "Night", perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

As for Braxton, he says that he spent 30 years in the 20th century even though at the end of "Future's End," the Braxton that appears tells Janeway that he never experienced that timeline.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x01 "Equinox, Part II" - As Janeway grows more obsessed with finding Ransom and the Equinox, Ransom begins to have a crisis of conscience about killing aliens to get home faster. More of the same from the last episode; a couple of cool action sequences, but it still suffers from credibility problems of the first part. There's also the perfunctory argument between Janeway and Chakotay; the two actors perform it well, and there's a nice scene with Voyager's dedication plaque at the end, but it's not quite as interesting this time as it was in "Scorpion."

6x02 "Survival Instinct" - Members of Seven's old unimatrix arrive on Voyager looking to discover blocked memories of a time when the entire group was disconnected from the Collective years earlier. This episode is... surprisingly... great. Perhaps it's because it's the only episode written by Ron Moore, but the dialogue is snappier and the episode feels like it has real emotional weight. I just think it's a little weird that no one noticed a Bajoran coming aboard the ship...

6x03 "Barge of the Dead" - Torres has a near-death experience and finds herself on the mythical Barge of the Dead, on her way to Gre'thor, the Klingon Hell. Apparently this episode was repurposed from an unproduced idea for 'Deep Space Nine,' and that's basically how it feels. It's not a bad episode, and its technical production is quite good, but it doesn't feel much like a 'Voyager' episode.

6x04 "Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" - Aliens spying on Voyager to determine an avenue of assault mistakenly tap into the Doctor's daydreams and think they're reality. This episode is hilarious. Robert Picardo once again steals the show; his daydreams are absurdly fun and funny. The fat aliens are a little weird, but overall this episode is a riot. Well-done.

6x05 "Alice" - Tom Paris falls in love with a shuttlecraft he buys from an alien junk dealer. ...Ugh. Just a lame-ass episode all around. Robert Duncan McNeil's performance is decent, and pretty good when he's full-on crazy toward the end, but otherwise this episode is a waste, like a shitty sci-fi version of "Christine." It seems like the only thing the writers are capable of doing with the Tom and B'Elanna relationship is to make them argue about things. It was a lot more fun when they were flirting and getting it on.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I just think it's a little weird that no one noticed a Bajoran coming aboard the ship...
Over the years we've seen dozens of Trek aliens that are indistinguishable from humans, and plenty of aliens that look like other aliens, so I don't think it's that strange. TNG's "Who Watches the Watchers" featured a race that looked exactly like Vulcans, for example.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x06 "Riddles" - Tuvok is injured by an invisible alien species, and Neelix tries to help him recover his memories. The idea behind the episode, involving the alien species and the investigator who believes they're real when everyone else thinks they're a myth, is pretty interesting. The execution of the episode, and the focus on Neelix essentially playing nurse and mother to a child-like Tuvok is just annoying and painful to watch. There are some cool special effects at the climax, but otherwise this episode didn't do anything for me.

6x07 "Dragon's Teeth" - Voyager forms an alliance with a group of alien survivors on a decimated world, only to discover that their new friends are the remnants of an evil ancient empire. This episode works quite well; the special effects are cool and the story is pretty well-written. I liked how Neelix discovers the nature of the Vadwar through his old folk tales.

6x08 "One Small Step" - Voyager encounters a subspace phenomenon that swallowed an early Earth mission to Mars. Just kinda dull, this one. Phil Morris does a good job as the Mars astronaut, and I'd almost rather have watched an episode of that than what we do get, which has Tom, Seven and Chakotay trapped aboard the Delta Flyer inside the anomaly.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x09 "The Voyager Conspiracy" - Seven of Nine's attempt to download data into her brain causes her to develop increasingly paranoid conspiracy theories regarding Voyager's presence in the Delta Quadrant. This episode isn't bad, it seems to go by pretty fast and the crew is fairly quick to determine that Seven's theories are mostly bunk. But it feels flat, not as dramatic as it should or could be. Seven's lengthy speeches describing her theories grow tiresome.

6x10 "Pathfinder" - Lt. Barclay disobeys orders to utilize an experimental Federation technology to contact Voyager. Fun episode. It's nice to see Barclay and Troi again, and the scene where they finally talk to the Voyager crew is well done and emotional. It's a big moment for the series, and it doesn't falter.

6x11 "Fair Haven" - Janeway falls in love with a holographic Irish bartender. Yawn.

6x12 "Blink of an Eye" - Voyager becomes trapped in orbit of a planet where minutes passing aboard the ship are equal to years down below. I liked this episode, even though the structure of jumping from timeframe to timeframe doesn't really allow the show to explore any one of them in particular. It's an idea that probably could be expanded into a two-parter, but also doesn't feel important enough for that.

6x13 "Virtuoso" - The Doctor becomes a celebrity on a world which has never before heard music, and contemplates leaving the ship. Another fun showcase for the Doctor. Robert Picardo is clearly having fun, and gets to show off more of his singing skills. In the end, though, this episode takes the obvious route. Still, there are some really great scenes in this one as the Doctor's fame grows to epic proportions.

6x14 "Memorial" - After returning from an away mission, Chakotay, Neelix, Paris and Kim suffer horrific memories of fighting in an alien war. This one reminded me of "Nemesis," but with much better technical execution. The alien battle sequences are pretty well directed, much more energetic than the dull combat in "Nemesis." The dilemma as to whether or not the memorial device should be shut down is also a pretty interesting one.

6x15 "Tsunkatse" - Seven of Nine joins the WWE and fights the Rock. In space. Some good performances from DS9 mainstays Jeffrey Combs and JG Hertzler. Now, I do have to say, that I enjoy the Rock as an actor. He may never win any Oscars, but he's got presence and good comedic timing. His role here is too small to really be of note, but it is fun to see. Overall, though, there's nothing particularly great about this episode. It's an obvious marketing nod for Paramount, which at the time was making a big stink about wrestling on UPN.

6x16 "Collective" - Paris, Chakotay and Neelix are captured by a group of Borg children. Meh. Even Borg, I feel like the crew shouldn't have this much trouble defeating a group of kids. There are some cool special effects at work in this one, especially the Delta Flyer's battle against the cube. The concept of having more Borg children aboard the ship is an interesting one, too, though I'm not really a fan of the actors they got.

6x17 "Spirit Folk" - The holographic characters of Fair Haven begin to suspect something is wrong when they observe the Voyager crew interacting with the holodeck computer. Reminding me a lot of TNG's Moriarty episodes only way more annoying, this is another one of Voyager's failed attempts at comedy. As usual, the best stuff comes from the Doctor. I don't know why the writers are so spot-on with him, but can rarely ever manage to do the same with the other characters.

6x18 "Ashes to Ashes" - A crewmember killed years before returns to Voyager, having been resurrected and genetically altered by a species that procreates by salvaging the dead. Intriguing premise, but somehow it seems rushed at the end. Interestingly, as Ensign Ballard becomes more human, physically, her performance becomes less so. She's more animated and energetic as an alien than in her human form, which is a nice touch.

6x19 "Child's Play" - Voyager locates Icheb's parents, but Seven is reluctant to let him go. I was excited to see Mark Sheppard's name in the credits for this one, but the role isn't anything that allows him to have any fun. It's a pretty interesting episode, especially the revelations regarding Icheb's origins, but the performances don't reflect the interesting ideas in the script.

6x20 "Good Shepherd" - Janeway takes three under-performing crewmen on a dangerous away mission. This episode wants to be "Lower Decks," but features none of the emotional weight of that episode. Janeway spends much of the episode running roughshod over these annoying crewmen, even belittling them in some kind of reverse-psychology attempt to expand their horizons... or something. This episode is just too lame, though there are some nice special effects at the climax.

6x21 "Live Fast and Prosper" - Alien con men pose as Janeway and Tuvok and begin ripping off people across the sector. What should be a fast-paced, funny episode is just lame. The guest actors are terrible, most of the humor falls flat, and only the special effects are a saving grace. What a waste of a fun premise, too.

6x22 "Muse" - Harry Kim and Torres crash-land on a primitive world where a poet uses their story to impress his audience. A very 'Star Trek' message of peace in this one, but the whole 'Delta Flyer crashes/is dangerously damaged' has grown really, really stale. Some interesting use of stage actors and some very old-school looking mask props.

6x23 "Fury" - Kes returns to Voyager and travels back through time in order to ambush the crew and give them over to the Vidiians. There are some really great effects in this episode, and Tuvok's premonitions are cool. But god, what a shockingly insulting way to send off the Kes character. And then the fact that it becomes part of the timeline! Janeway and Tuvok would have known from season one what was going to happen years later, but she "almost forgot!" Guhh.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
6x23 "Fury" - Kes returns to Voyager and travels back through time in order to ambush the crew and give them over to the Vidiians. There are some really great effects in this episode, and Tuvok's premonitions are cool. But god, what a shockingly insulting way to send off the Kes character. And then the fact that it becomes part of the timeline! Janeway and Tuvok would have known from season one what was going to happen years later, but she "almost forgot!" Guhh.
At least now we all know why Janeway is so damned confident. She knows the ship will survive.

There were some interesting special effects in this episode (I particularly liked the computer effects they used to give Chakotay acting ability when he was in command during the Vidiian attack), but the blue screen with Kes walking down the hallway, bulkheads blowing behind her...that was just God awful.

And, I'm shocked to discover that they actually got the holo-emitters working in Engineering. I thought they had forgotten about those since the doctor has free range of the ship.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
The actual effects for the walls blowing out is pretty cool, but the compositing is pretty terrible. It looks exactly like you imagine they made it: They put her in front of the blue screen and told her to pretend to walk, but also to pretend to walk like she's an old woman, and then they couldn't figure out how to match her pretend walking speed to the movement of the CGI camera.

And the holo-emitters in Engineering is totally random. The Doctor is in Engineering all the time but has to wear his mobile emitter. There are other weird things about this episode - like once again Season 1 Tuvok is referred to as "lieutenant" even though he's wearing his Lt. Commander rank pips. Kes' behavior is just too far outside of her established characterization for this kind of petty bitchiness; the whole episode is just totally unbelievable.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen "Unimatrix Zero," this episode might win the contest for the flat-out worst episode of the season.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Ugh... Unimatrix Zero...

A civil war within the Borg as vast amounts of drones start to regain their individuality..

How could that POSSIBLY be a bad episode.

How? Give it to B&B, that's how.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
The actual effects for the walls blowing out is pretty cool, but the compositing is pretty terrible. It looks exactly like you imagine they made it: They put her in front of the blue screen and told her to pretend to walk, but also to pretend to walk like she's an old woman, and then they couldn't figure out how to match her pretend walking speed to the movement of the CGI camera.

And the holo-emitters in Engineering is totally random. The Doctor is in Engineering all the time but has to wear his mobile emitter. There are other weird things about this episode - like once again Season 1 Tuvok is referred to as "lieutenant" even though he's wearing his Lt. Commander rank pips. Kes' behavior is just too far outside of her established characterization for this kind of petty bitchiness; the whole episode is just totally unbelievable.

Honestly, if I hadn't seen "Unimatrix Zero," this episode might win the contest for the flat-out worst episode of the season.
Actually, Tuvok wore Lieutenant Commander pips through about the first half of the first season. Then they took the one away.

re: Kes. Yeah, she actually looked annoyed more than angry in the shot. Like she had done it 100 times that day already and they still couldn't get it right.

Everything Voyager did with holograms was totally random. In the first season, there was the episode where Neelix got holographic lungs. Seriously? The ship can project light and force-fields inside a person's body? There isn't a gap in that logic wide enough to drive a train through?

Or when the doctor got his holo-emiter. He's standing in the compound, holding a phaser, and the bad guys are shooting straight through him. He's either solid, or he's not.

Or the episode where his program is stolen and sold to the hospital. He dematerializes and rematerializes holding a tricorder-like device. Or the episode where Seven has her holo-romance. He materializes in the holodeck holding a tricorder.

Or the episode where the Doctor travels to the Alpha quadrant and Tom & Harry try to program a replacement. They can't do it. But, the Doctor can create a fully functional Cardassian consultant with a few simple commands when B'elanna has an alien stuck to her torso.

Voyager used holo-technology as a crutch so much it wasn't funny.

Jun 13, 2006
Or when the doctor got his holo-emiter. He's standing in the compound, holding a phaser, and the bad guys are shooting straight through him. He's either solid, or he's not.
I don't think that's such a stretch, he simply made part of himself non-solid. I think TNG showed some holograms doing the same thing.