Voyager. Oh, shit.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
We should start a pool; the winner is the person who guesses the closest to the episode that finally drives Brikar nuts enough to make him give up the Voyager marathon.

Any takers?

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I'll go with Threshold.

What's this you say? He's already watched it you say?

Ahh, but see there's the true monstrosity of Threshold. It's not just one of (if not THE) worst episode of the entire franchise, it's insidious as well. You see, you're brain doesn't immediately explode upon watching it. It takes days sometimes. As you cruise through the rest of the season, you'll find yourself wondering why they never tried to figure out specifically what happened. Why they never tried to break the warp 10 barrier again. All sorts of questions. THIS is when Threshold finally breaks you down. Weeks later.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Honestly... 'Threshold' was bad, sure. It makes no sense, the outcome is absurd and the dialogue is lame, but 'Maneuvers' royally pissed me off. So while 'Threshold' is a plain bad episode, 'Manuevers' goes out of its way to make the entire crew seem like incompetent morons, which I found to be far more offensive.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x22 "Innocence" - Tuvok crash-lands on an alien moon and finds himself caretaker to several children who say they were sent there to die. A nice Benjamin Button twist at the end, and a very 'Star Trek' "let's all be friends" theme at work. There are some really shoddy special effects in this one, though. The shots of Tuvok's shuttle under attack look terrible.

2x23 "The Thaw" - Harry Kim is trapped in a virtual reality world run by a sadistic clown who preys on fear. This episode is... bizarre. With the crazy sets and costumes, it looks a lot like an episode of the original series. Michael McKean does a good job as the clown. The last scene, with the clown fading into the darkness is quite well done.

2x24 "Tuvix" - A transporter mishap melds Tuvok and Neelix into a single being. But when it takes longer than expected to figure out a way to split them back up, Janeway is faced with making a difficult decision when Tuvix claims he doesn't want to die. Y'know, I feel like I'm supposed to hate this episode... but I don't. I think I actually like the Tuvix character much better than either Tuvok or Neelix by themselves (and the show even goes so far as to indicate the crew may have felt the same, as well). And the ending is pretty harsh. It's certainly a no-win scenario... does Janeway have the right to essentially murder one person to save two others? I don't know; and the show doesn't present it one way or another, either. Of course, the consequences of such a decision are never explored anyway.

2x25 "Resolutions" - Janeway and Chakotay are infected with a deadly virus and left behind on an uninhabited world. Meh. Some nice continuity with the earlier Vidiian episodes, and a decent space battle. But the stuff with Janeway and Chakotay on the planet's surface is like the rest of the show's attempts at sentiment: too basic and obvious to be all that effective.

2x26 "Basics, Part I" - Voyager attempts to rescue Seska's child from the Kazon, but the ship is captured and the crew marooned on a dangerous world. This one didn't piss me off as much as 'Maneuvers', it's not bad... but there's still some element of making the Voyager crew stupid in order to make the Kazon seem like a more effective villain. I find it hard to believe no one would notice that the 'secondary command processor' would control a vital system like the self destruct. I also have difficulty believing that the Kazon would be so quickly able to control Voyager's systems. Still, this is an entertaining installment with a good cliffhanger. It's nice to see Suder again, as well.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x01 "Basics, Part II" - With the crew trapped on a dangerous planet, the Doctor and Suder try to retake the ship from the Kazon with the help of Paris and the Talaxians. The highlight of this episode, beyond the big action sequences, is totally Brad Dourif's performance as Suder. The scene where he collapses on the floor in sickbay after killing a Kazon is some excellent work and I enjoyed this aspect of the show.

3x02 "Flashback" - When Tuvok starts to suffer a mental breakdown due to a traumatic repressed memory, Janeway enters his mind and is taken back to an old mission aboard the USS Excelsior under the command of Captain Sulu. This is a fun episode. Not as good as 'Trials and Tribble-ations,' but it's fun to watch. The show did a good job recreating the Excelsior and the events surrounding 'The Undiscovered Country.'

3x03 "The Chute" - Harry and Tom are convicted of a crime they didn't commit, and are sentenced to a maximum security prison full of vicious, nearly-insane inmates. This episode is pretty good if only because it has some fairly shocking violence. The scene where Harry nearly beats Tom to death with a pipe is pretty insane for this show. Otherwise, it's a fairly straight-forward prison story.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
(or obnoxiously angry... the ongoing storyline regarding his jealousy of Paris and Kes is seriously grating).
Honestly, I think that Neelix's jealousy would have been better handled had the writers actually spent time establishing Neelix and Kes as a couple, instead of just hinting at it in random scenes and having Neelix fly off the handle at Paris for liking Kes.

2x15 "Threshold" - Tom Paris begins to mutate after breaking the warp 10 barrier. What... the... fuck. This episode is just bewildering. Nothing that happens seems to make any damn sense whatsoever and the salamander thing at the end is just freaking bizarre. I have no idea what anyone was thinking when they were making this episode, and I'm not entirely certain they did, either.
This is the first of (as far as I am) three episodes that established a clear path for Voyager to get home, but there was absolutely no follow up on it. Sure, you mutate into Salamandars, but that takes time. And, the Doctor has a cure. So, why not do it, appear in orbit around earth, explain what's going on, and let the doctors fix you up?

Oh, it'd be a very short series if they did that. Damn.

2x18 "Death Wish" - A Q requests asylum aboard Voyager with the intention of committing suicide, forcing Janeway to arbitrate over a hearing to help determine his fate. Y'know, aside from John De Lancie's overt sexism, this episode is pretty fun. A guest appearance by Riker is cute, but short-lived. There are some pretty humorous bits throughout and the script has some solid ideas and good performances supporting it.
My favorite part of this episode was Q promising no theatrics in the courtroom. Then proceeding to call himself as a witness.

2x23 "The Thaw" - Harry Kim is trapped in a virtual reality world run by a sadistic clown who preys on fear. This episode is... bizarre. With the crazy sets and costumes, it looks a lot like an episode of the original series. Michael McKean does a good job as the clown. The last scene, with the clown fading into the darkness is quite well done.
McKean was the best part of this episode, as was the framing at the end. I'm concerned that the aliens think they'll be able to rebuild their society with only 5 survivors (cut down to 2 by the end of the episode). Doesn't seem to be enough genetic material to be fruitful and multiply.

2x24 "Tuvix" - A transporter mishap melds Tuvok and Neelix into a single being. But when it takes longer than expected to figure out a way to split them back up, Janeway is faced with making a difficult decision when Tuvix claims he doesn't want to die. Y'know, I feel like I'm supposed to hate this episode... but I don't. I think I actually like the Tuvix character much better than either Tuvok or Neelix by themselves (and the show even goes so far as to indicate the crew may have felt the same, as well). And the ending is pretty harsh. It's certainly a no-win scenario... does Janeway have the right to essentially murder one person to save two others? I don't know; and the show doesn't present it one way or another, either. Of course, the consequences of such a decision are never explored anyway.
What pissed me off about this episode was the fact that they so readily turned it into a Janeway episode. I'm noticing that with my runthrough of the show...the writers seem to salivate at the prospect of dumping Janeway into any part of any show...regardless of the logic. It's like, at a writer's meeting, someone said "We've got the first woman captain in the history of Trek, and we're going to use her, damnit!"

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x04 "The Swarm" - While Voyager attempts to traverse a dangerous area of space, the Doctor begins to experience drastic memory losses. Not bad; another fun action episode with some cool special effects. I believe this is the first time Voyager has encountered aliens other than the Caretaker with transporter technology. The intrusion on the bridge has some pretty cool effects. The Doctor's story is interesting, but some of the scenes seem redundant, but I'm glad they decided to address the fact that the Doctor has long outlasted his initial expiration date.

3x05 "False Profits" - Voyager discovers a planet where two Ferengi have installed themselves as sacred 'Sages' and are exploiting the populace. Meh. There are some funny bits, but overall this episode doesn't do anything surprising or particularly original. DS9's writers were much better at mining the Ferengi for sharper comedy.

3x06 "Remember" - While Voyager is transporting telepathic aliens back to their homeworld, B'Elanna experiences vivid dreams of an illicit relationship. I like the idea behind this episode, the ultimate 'twist' regarding what's really happening to the 'regressives' is interesting. But the whole thing feels so much like some kind of daytime soap that it's difficult to really get into this one. Another 'meh'.

3x07 "Sacred Ground" - Kes is injured by an energy field while visiting an alien temple, leading Janeway to undertake a spiritual journey to save her. Boring. Janeway's spiritual journey is repetitive to say the least, and the idea that she's supposed to be learning is so simple that it's aggravating to watch her not getting it for 30 minutes.

3x08 "Future's End, Part I" - Voyager is attacked by a Federation timeship from the 29th century, and accidentally ends up transported to 1996 where the crew runs afoul of a corrupt business man intent on stealing technology from the future. Y'know, this episode has problems, but damn if it isn't fun. I enjoyed this one, despite myself, and the cast is clearly having fun, too - and there are good guest performances to add.

3x09 "Future's End, Part II" - The Voyager crew races to stop Starling's timeship launch, which they've learned could destroy Earth's entire solar system. Again, this one is messy, but fun. There are a couple of good action sequences, a solid musical score, and the Doctor gets his fancy-schmancy mobile emitter.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x10 "Warlord" - Kes' body is possessed by an alien consciousness intent on conquering its home planet. The highlight of this episode is watching Jennifer Lien being mean, a total reversal from her usual warm characterization of Kes. She actually handles the role fairly well, and even seems to relish doing something new. Since the characters of Voyager rarely ever ever get to branch out in such a fashion, I can imagine why this would be so appealing.

3x11 "The Q and the Grey" - Q returns to Voyager, intent on making Captain Janeway his mate. Ok, I have to admit, this one got me laughing. Some of the jokes fall flat, but there are a number of really great line deliveries here. The cast is having a ball, and John de Lancie plays up his absurd attempts at seduction to all their worth. I should also note that Suzie Plakson is a friggin' riot (her joke about having a fondness for Klingon females is a nice nod to her role on TNG).

3x12 "Macrocosm" - Janeway and Neelix return from a trade mission to find the ship adrift, the crew incapacitated by a virus which has grown to macroscopic proportions. This episode feels like a total rip-off of TNG's "Genesis." It's not bad, though I preferred "Genesis." This is a solid action/adventure episode with some nifty effects. It's the most obvious example of something I've noticed about "Voyager" - it doesn't seem to have a problem introducing newer versions of props, like smaller tricorders and hand phasers; here the show uses the 'First Contact' phaser rifle instead of the rifles used in earlier episodes.

3x13 "Fair Trade" - Neelix grows desperate as the ship nears the edge of his knowledge of space, and gets involved in a dangerous deal with a nefarious Talaxian. There's a nice idea here, but the episode itself is nothing special. Most of the problem is the script, which is just flat. There's nothing for the cast to grab on to, and it's literally impossible to deliver dialogue like, "You are in violation of station protocol chapter 15 subsection 35-A" in a dramatic manner without sounding like a fool.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x14 "Alter Ego" - Harry Kim goes to Tuvok when he believes he's fallen in love with a holodeck character, but becomes jealous when he finds Tuvok spending more and more time with her. Fuck this shit. I dig the use of the resort holodeck program, it seems like the perfect place for this crew; far more fun and relaxing than the smokey French bar. But this episode is crap. I don't care about anything that happens to anyone in this episode. The effects for the nebula are pretty impressive, though.

3x15 "Coda" - Janeway appears to be trapped in a time loop that always ends in her death. This episode doesn't make a lot of sense. At first it seems like a time loop, riffing on TNG's "Cause and Effect" and then it turns into she can walk through walls and might be a ghost like TNG's "The Next Phase" and then it becomes some kind of thing about an alien trying to eat her spirit. Who knows. The scene where Chakotay is desperate to revive Janeway is nice, he gets to break out of his fairly wooden routine for a moment. Otherwise, this one is a jumbled mess.

3x16 "Blood Fever" - Vorrik experiences the Pon Farr, and tries to mate with Torres, only to have her start to go through it as well. Then, she gets trapped in a cave with Tom Paris, and must mate or die. Y'know, this episode could have been a huge misfire, but for the most part I found that it actually works fairly well. It pushes the Paris/Torres relationship forward, they'd been flirting for a few episodes now. And the revelation of the alien invaders' identity at the end is a nice look into the future.

3x17 "Unity" - Chakotay finds a group of former Borg living on a planet inside a nebula while Voyager investigates a damaged Borg cube nearby. Also a better episode than I thought it would be; it manages to skirt the "been there, done that" feel for the Borg. Some of the guest actors aren't all that spectacular, but they seem eager. Some nice special effects, too.

3x18 "Darkling" - When the Doctor tries to graft parts of other personalities onto his, the unexpected results create a new, evil identity. Meh. The real draw here is watching Robert Picardo go nuts. At the end of the episode, he goes a little too overboard with it, but for a few scenes, he does really shine as his more vicious self. The script, otherwise, isn't particularly interesting other than for the shock value of the Doctor's behavior.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
3x14 "Alter Ego" 3x17 "Unity" - Chakotay finds a group of former Borg living on a planet inside a nebula while Voyager investigates a damaged Borg cube nearby. Also a better episode than I thought it would be; it manages to skirt the "been there, done that" feel for the Borg. Some of the guest actors aren't all that spectacular, but they seem eager. Some nice special effects, too.
I only had two issues with this episode.

1. I hate Chakotay. Horrible character. No real depth to him at all. The only time they've ever shown any real character to him is the episode where Tuvok is giving additional training to some of the Maquis and Chakotay knocks the troublemaker on his ass. Aside from that they've always fallen back on his "spiritual side" which is not only done badly, but too blatantly.

2. There was no follow up. I always wished they would have had at least ONE follow up episode to this one, as the actual story idea was really good. Not just good when you compare it to the rest of Voyager, but as a trek story idea in general it was a great one.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2. There was no follow up. I always wished they would have had at least ONE follow up episode to this one, as the actual story idea was really good. Not just good when you compare it to the rest of Voyager, but as a trek story idea in general it was a great one.
The obvious follow-up is 'Scorpion'. But in terms of doing an actual sequel to that episode, I'm not sure where you'd go with it; the Cooperative had no interest in leaving their planet, and in fact had destroyed their only means to do so when they detonated the Borg cube. They just wanted to live out their lives in peace on their own planet, and Voyager moved on. It's not like with the Kazon or the Vidiians or even the real Borg where their territory is vast so the chances are greater of running into them again.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x19 "Rise" - Tuvok and Neelix are stranded on an alien planet under attack and must use a space elevator to get back to the ship. Booooooooooring. And the fight sequence at the climax is laughably bad.

3x20 "Favorite Son" - Voyager becomes embroiled in a conflict between two races when Harry Kim is revealed to be an alien. Even worse than the last one, and yet somehow more entertaining just because it's so fucking bonkers. Watching Harry Kim beating up women and running around in his weird bathrobe outfit isn't nearly as good as the back half of the Nicolas Cage version of 'The Wicker Man,' but it's sort of in the same vein.

3x21 "Before and After" - Kes finds herself moving back through her life, but only remembers things from the future as she moves into the past. Much better than the last few episodes. Kind of a riff on "All Good Things..." it has some nifty bits, but the best sequence is definitely the hints at "year of hell" and the Krenim.

3x22 "Real Life" - The Doctor creates a family for himself on the holodeck, but their obnoxious over-perfection leads Torres to rewrite the program to be more realistic. Meanwhile, the ship encounters strange subspace anomalies that may have destroyed an alien science station. The anomaly B-plot has some nice effects and ups the action quotient of the episode, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the Doctor's plot, which is one of the rare moments of actually effective drama on Voyager. Sure, the son character and his association with Klingons is far too obtuse, but the story regarding the daughter and her injuries is quite well done. And, as always, Robert Picardo proves he's the best actor of the bunch.

3x23 "Distant Origin" - An alien scientist kidnaps Chakotay to prove to his people that they both evolved on the same planet. Dinosaurs. Frickin SPACE DINOSAURS, man! -sigh- This episode has a fun idea, absurd as it is, and even though Chakotay's impassioned speech about not letting doctrine get in the way of truth is nice, this one really should have just been a ridiculous action episode. Because, really, SPACE. DINOSAURS. And at the end of it, the dino-doc doesn't even give Voyager the secret to transwarp. What a cock-up.

3x24 "Displaced" - The Voyager crew begins to disappear, one at a time, each one being replaced by an alien who claims to know nothing of what is going on. Meh. It's not bad in the beginning while it's still sort of a mystery what's going on, but ultimately this one just kind of goes through the motions. It has a couple of nice moments for Tom and B'Elanna, though.

3x25 "Worst Case Scenario" - Torres discovers a holodeck program simulating a Maquis rebellion aboard Voyager which becomes quite popular with the crew. This is a fun episode. I have to admit, though, I preferred the more comedic tone of the episode before it turns into a life-or-death situation. The scene where the Doctor injects acid into Paris and then hurls him and Tuvok out of Sickbay is funny, but otherwise I think this episode would have been better served without the danger and we'd just seen the crew having fun with this holodeck story.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x26 "Scorpion, Part I" - Voyager enters a region of space controlled by the Borg, but unwittingly become embroiled in a war between the Collective and a powerful species from another dimension. Just awesome. Going for the balls action, fast-paced, great special effects. Easily VOY's biggest, most epic episode yet.

4x01 "Scorpion, Part II - Chakotay disobeys Janeway's orders, and dissolves the alliance between Voyager and the Borg just as Seven of Nine puts Voyager right in the path of Species 8472. A very worthy second part, with more great action and special effects. Janeway and Chakotay's arguments are highlights, with the two actors really putting everything they've got out there for these ones.

4x02 "The Gift" - Separated from the Collective, Seven of Nine's Borg implants begin to slowly kill her. Meanwhile, Kes' mental abilities make a massive leap forward, endangering the ship. A lot like 'Family,' this episode is the more emotional/dramatic 'clean-up' episode after a big Borg two-parter. Unlike 'Family', this episode really isn't all that good. Kes' departure is rushed and mostly unexplained, and Jennifer Lien doesn't seem to be putting all that much effort into her performance.

4x03 "Day of Honor" - After Voyager is forced to dump the warp core, Torres and Paris are stranded in space suits waiting for rescue, forcing them to confront their feelings for each other. Not bad; not great, either. The best scene is definitely when Torres finally admits she's in love with Paris. The animosity of the crew towards Seven of Nine is well-played, but also seems fairly tame.

4x04 "Nemesis" - Chakotay crash-lands on an alien planet and conscripted into a war against a vicious enemy. It's weird to see characters firing guns with bullets on this show. The aliens' strange speech patterns are kind of annoying, though I applaud the idea since it's so rare in this franchise. The twist at the end regarding who the bad guys really are is cool, too, and the final scene is good. But otherwise, this one isn't all that great. It feels very cheap; all the stuff in the jungle looks like fake soundstage jungle rather than an actual outdoor environment, and the soldiers fire one shot every couple of seconds, so the battle sequences feel slow and clumsy.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x05 "Revulsion" - Torres and the Doctor board a ship to help a holographic lifeform who claims his organic crew died of a mysterious plague. Meh. Honestly, I don't mind Leland Orser, but his shtick gets old sometimes. He's constantly playing the same character, and here he ratchets it up to eleven. Sure, it fits the story, but it's a little aggravating to watch.

4x06 "The Raven" - Seven of Nine announces her intentions to rejoin the collective, steals a shuttle and disappears into a realm of space claimed by a paranoid species. Not bad; some hints at Seven's backstory, the weird dreams she has are fairly well-directed, including one particularly creepy shot of a Borg emitting a bird-like screech. Nothing spectacular, but also not outright terrible, either.

4x07 "Scientific Method" - The crew discovers they are being experimented on by aliens who are invisible. I didn't much care for this episode. It's a nice idea, but I just couldn't really get into it. Some nice special effects at the climax, though.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x08 "Year of Hell, Part I" - Voyager encounters the Krenim, and an obsessed man with a weapon that can erase objects and entire races from history. Though this episode thoroughly ignores the events of season three's "Before and After" and has some bizarre logic gaps in the dialogue, it's still a lot of fun. There are lots of great special effects on display, too.

4x09 "Year of Hell, Part II" - With Voyager falling apart around them, Janeway's behavior becomes more erratic and suicidal while Chakotay and Paris attempt to sabotage Annorax's temporal weapon. Still more fun, with more special effects and a better-than-usual musical score make this episode. Some of the time travel logic is pretty nonsensical, and Chakotay's subplot is dumb, but there's enough cool stuff going on elsewhere. And, of course, Kurtwood Smith is always fun.

4x10 "Random Thoughts" - Torres is arrested on a world where violent thoughts are banned, but Tuvok's investigation uncovers something more sinister. This episode has a decent idea behind it, but the execution is dull. Tuvok once again throws out mind-melds like a sex offender with candy at a playground, and the scene where he overwhelms the alien with his dark emotions is lame as hell.

4x11 "Concerning Flight" - Voyager tracks down technology stolen from the ship, including the Leonardo da Vinci hologram. I'm the first to say that I welcome any participation by John Rhys Davies... but even he can't save this episode from being quite dull. His enthusiasm helps bolster the scenes he's in, but ultimately they can't overwhelm the fact that this is just a very uninteresting script.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x08 "Year of Hell, Part I" - Voyager encounters the Krenim, and an obsessed man with a weapon that can erase objects and entire races from history. Though this episode thoroughly ignores the events of season three's "Before and After" and has some bizarre logic gaps in the dialogue, it's still a lot of fun. There are lots of great special effects on display, too.

4x09 "Year of Hell, Part II" - With Voyager falling apart around them, Janeway's behavior becomes more erratic and suicidal while Chakotay and Paris attempt to sabotage Annorax's temporal weapon. Still more fun, with more special effects and a better-than-usual musical score make this episode. Some of the time travel logic is pretty nonsensical, and Chakotay's subplot is dumb, but there's enough cool stuff going on elsewhere. And, of course, Kurtwood Smith is always fun.

4x10 "Random Thoughts" - Torres is arrested on a world where violent thoughts are banned, but Tuvok's investigation uncovers something more sinister. This episode has a decent idea behind it, but the execution is dull. Tuvok once again throws out mind-melds like a sex offender with candy at a playground, and the scene where he overwhelms the alien with his dark emotions is lame as hell.

4x11 "Concerning Flight" - Voyager tracks down technology stolen from the ship, including the Leonardo da Vinci hologram. I'm the first to say that I welcome any participation by John Rhys Davies... but even he can't save this episode from being quite dull. His enthusiasm helps bolster the scenes he's in, but ultimately they can't overwhelm the fact that this is just a very uninteresting script.