TOS reboot poster

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I'm improving, check out my latest:

I like the lower half and the overall layout but the character photos (obviously) leave much to be desired :p

One thing I'd have done would be to do something with the Brightness/contrast on flannery's face to make it look more dramatic.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I thought about adding a couple of words above the characters: "Lonely" above McCoy, "Ashamed" above Spock and "Unprepared" above Kirk, but that might be a bit too much.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Cymro: In Photoshop 7, in "Layer --> Layer Style", I turned on "Inner Shadow," "Bevel and Emboss," "Satin" and "Stroke".

Under "Bevel and Emboss," I chose "Style: Inner Bevel" and "Technique: Chisel Hard", and set "Depth" to 230% and "Size" to 5 pixels.

NX-47: The font is "Friz Quadrata"

Deslok

regruntled and reemployed
Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
Cymro said:
May I ask how you made the 3D effect on the "STAR TREK"?
Here's a site with photoshop tutorials. http://www.tutorialoutpost.com/text-effects/

It's good if you understand how the layering process works. I use the GIMP, but It's awkward. But it's basically a process of laying down the text, giving it the color you want. Selection to alpha--->shrink, fill with reflective color, gaussian blur, select all, add layer, color new layer, move new layer to bottom of stack, etc. Or something like that.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I've got a rather hamfisted style in photoshop, I basically use any tool i can find to get the desired effect. But most of the time I use photoshop to paint rather than to make graphics and photomanipulations.

Deslok

Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
I use the GIMP, and it's almost just like photoshop, except that its not going to win any awards for design as far as the user interface is concerned. I just recently learned how to use th features, esp. the layering thing. You saw one of my results with that Astrobar thingy that I made a few weeks ago (with the glaring flaws).

Try using the procedures according to the directions a few times. After that it will become second nature and you should be able to do the process from memory. I think Cujo used the 3d process when he designed TWs new logo a few years back.

Deslok

Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
NX-47 said:
Hmmm... know of a way I can get my paws on it? I found lots of places to d/l it from, but for $... I'm on a beer budget... we're talkin' Shaffer Light....

LLaP
If you're asking about the GIMP, you can get it here.

Some photoshop plugins (which can be found as free downloads across the net) work with the GIMP, or so I've heard. Haven't tried them yet though.

Deslok

Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
NX-47 said:
Nah, I have the GIMP (and find it about as friendly as you do)... I was referring to the font.

Thanks anyway. :)
I've actually found the GIMP to be quite workable, but it took some patience. Initially, I just used it as a picture viewer. But I've learned to do 3D text and a lot of other cool stuff. But it is a bit quirky sometimes.

I like learning the processes though, just pressing the script-fu process button is cheap.