TNG. Let's do this shit.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
7x05 "Gambit, Part II" - Picard and Riker pretend to be pirates, while Data pursues them aboard the Enterprise, in search of an ancient Vulcan weapon capable of killing via thought. Second verse, same as the first. This episode is cheesy, over the top and absurd... and totally fun. Patrick Stewart is obviously having a lot of fun playing against the pirate captain, who manages to hold his own in a cartoon villain sort of way.

7x06 "Phantasms" - The ship's new warp core suffers strange failures. At the same time, Data's dreams begin to take on nightmarish qualities. This is another fun episode. Data's nightmares are bizarre, and his continued exploration of them is intriguing. The scenes of Worf stuffing his mouth with cake are pretty hilarious, as is Data's encounters with Sigmund Freud.

7x07 "Dark Page" - Lwaxana Troi falls into a coma after her work with a deeply telepathic species uncovers a horrific tragedy in her past. This is a great episode with one flaw that nearly topples it: one of the signs of a show on its way out is trotting out previously unknown family members. Well here, Deanna Troi gets a sister we never knew she had. Ultimately, the episode is good enough - especially Majel Barrett's performance at the climax, to overcome this. It's also problematic in that it's the second episode in a row to feature lengthy trips into a character's mind - in this case Lwaxana instead of Data.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Indeed. "Best of Both Worlds" picks up on elements in "Q Who" (obviously) but also in "The Neutral Zone," while "Redemption" is really the culmination of "Sinsof theFather" and "Reunion," though all of these stories are seasons apart
Yeah, and more than the build up I think you could mine a lot more material out of a Klingon civil war or a Borg invasion while they are in progress. Just like those ds9 episodes.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
7x08 "Attached" - Picard and Crusher are kidnapped by paranoid aliens who believe the Federation will give military aid to their enemies. They are both given implants that allow them to hear each others' thoughts. This is a decent episode; Picard and Crusher finally come out with their feelings for each other, but at the end of the episode, frustratingly, decide not to take the relationship further. The subplot involving Riker trying to negotiate with the aliens is pretty humorously well done.

7x09 "Force of Nature" - The Enterprise is assaulted by aliens who believe that warp drive is damaging space and endangering their world. This episode has a fine idea behind it, but the execution is messy. Too much time is spend on a subplot involving Data trying to train his cat, which, while funny, really doesn't have much to do with anything.

7x10 "Inheritance" - Data meets a woman who claims to have been the wife of Dr. Soong, making her, essentially, Data's mother. I'm not a fan of this episode; I had a hard time caring about pretty much anything going on, especially Data's previously unknown or unseen family member. As always, Spiner seems to have a good time playing Soong, even just in a brief appearance as a holodeck character.

7x11 "Parallels" - After returning from a Klingon combat tournament, Worf finds himself jumping between parallel universes, and the walls between realities may be breaking down. I always enjoy alternate universe stories, and this one has some pretty fun bits going on; Worf's confusion at the birthday party is funny, and I like how the episode is paced so that the differences between universes continue to grow more pronounced.

7x12 "The Pegasus" - Riker's old commanding officer, now an admiral, comes aboard the ship to undertake a mission to locate the wreck of the starship Pegasus. Not a bad episode, but not a great one, either. It's certainly bolstered by performances - Jonathan Frakes does a good job with being pulled between loyalty to Picard and orders from Pressman. And Terry O'Quinn is just a great actor, and I'm always happy to have him around.

7x13 "Homeward" - Worf's step-brother (ugh) defies the Prime Directive to save a group of aliens whose planet is no longer capable of supporting life. So, Troi gets a sister, Data a mother and Worf a brother in this season... none of whom we'd ever heard of before. Another one of those signs that a show is on its way out when it starts dragging in new family members for the cast. It's too bad Paul Sorvino is so wasted in this role.

7x14 "Sub Rosa" - Beverly Crusher and the crew of the Enterprise encounter strange goings on at a colony modeled after old Scotland when they arrive to attend the funeral of Crusher's grandmother. ...Oy. I dunno where to start with this one. I just want to know which writer thought to themselves, "You know what would be a great idea? ZOMBIE CRUSHER GRANDMA." And the next guy obviously thought that a scene where Picard walks in on Crusher masturbating would be totally awesome, too.

7x15 "Lower Decks" - Several junior members of the crew struggle with an upcoming promotion, and one of them is assigned a dangerous mission into Cardassian territory. This episode could have been a total disaster, but thankfully it's not. The guest cast is all likeable, and the subplot involving Ensign Sito is extremely well-done. The two scenes with Sito and Picard in the ready room are excellent, and the end of the episode is a pretty solid sucker punch.

7x16 "Thine Own Self" - Counselor Troi decides to take the bridge officer's test. Meanwhile, an accident erases Data's memory, leaving him stranded on a primitive world where the people begin to fear him. Another good episode; both plots are intriguing and well-written and the premise for Data's story is pretty inspired.

7x17 "Masks" - An ancient alien probe begins to convert the ship into a temple, and Data begins acting out some kind of religious program. This episode is plain bizarre; Spiner gets to chew the scenery. While normally I think that's fine, here it doesn't quite work.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
While not quite in the same vein as the other three episodes that did it, I think Sub Rosa was bad enough that we can count Crushers grandmother as a "family member we never knew about". So I'd bump your tally up to 4 for the season.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
"Masks," is perhaps my least favorite episode of Trek ever. The only redeeming quality is Spiner's acting, which is miraculous when you take into account what he was given to work with. Everything else, from the sets to the acting of the rest of the cast to the muddled and illogical story progression to the basic premise of the episode, is little better than a stinking pile of burning garbage in the middle of the New Jersey turnpike on a humid day in July.

At least other bad episodes are bad to the point of hilarity, but this might be the only hour of Trek I'll never, ever watch again.

Jun 13, 2006
While the execution is rather out-to-lunch, I at least like the premise behind "Masks." TNG, for once, tried to do some TOS-style high-concept sci-fi.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
It's weird, and it's a good idea, but I just couldn't get into it. Even Spiner's acting, I found several of the characters he was playing quite grating, and usually I really enjoy when he's doing multiple parts.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
7x18 "Eye of the Beholder" - After a crewmember commits suicide, Troi is drawn into a strange psychic mystery that reaches back to before the Enterprise was finished being built. This episode is a little strange... I've never really bought into the romance between Worf and Troi, even though the seeds of it had been laid for quite some time. The ultimate resolution of the episode is kind of interesting, in that much of what happened was just playing out within Troi's mind and was influenced by a psychic imprint from years earlier; that's a premise I really think is cool.

7x19 "Genesis" - Picard and Data return to the ship to find that the crew has de-evolved into strange, animal-like creatures. I've always enjoyed this episode. It's absurd and a little stupid, but it's a lot of fun. The cast is totally into it, the makeup work is excellent and it's really quite well-directed. The de-evolved Worf is a pretty frightening creature.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
7x20 "Journey's End" - Wesley Crusher returns to the Enterprise, but struggles to fit in with the crew. Meanwhile, Picard must undertake a difficult mission to remove Federation colonists under the new Cardassian peace treaty. A decent episode, and a good way to close out the Wesley character. My only real problem with it is that the scene where Wesley just sort of abandons the crew during their confrontation with the Cardassians feels like a dick move, even if it does turn out for the best.

7x21 "Firstborn" - An older version of Alexander arrives from the future and attempts to kill his younger self. ...yeah, what?

7x22 "Bloodlines" - Bok returns to once more attempt revenge on Picard, this time by killing Picard's son. So we get another episode where a crewmember has a new family member. Even if it turns out to be fake at the end, it's still part of this dull, dull trend that has dragged down several episodes this season. Not a bad episode overall, but thoroughly unremarkable; Picard has had better father-figure episodes than this one, and those weren't really his kids, either.

7x23 "Emergence" - A series of twisty-straws comes alive aboard the ship and threatens the Enterprise crew. Not a bad idea for an episode, but ultimately it's left entirely unexplained... like the writers knew that they had something decent but couldn't figure out how to justify it so they just gave up. Also, the design of the new life form is fucking lame. Seriously. I laughed out loud. And I thought it was lame when i was a kid, too.

7x24 "Preemptive Strike" - Ro Laren returns to the Enterprise and is sent on a dangerous undercover mission to infiltrate the Maquis. But as she grows closer to her marks, her loyalties are put to the test. The only real problem I have with this episode is that Michelle Forbes doesn't seem like she wants to be there at all. Her line readings are pretty flat, and she puts in the minimal effort required. The only time it felt like she cared at all was her scene when she asks Riker to deliver her apology to Picard. I liked that there are several episodes this season that further the storylines involving the Maquis and the Cardassian treaty. It's cool that TNG got in on a some of the fun world-building that would become one of the true strengths of DS9

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
7x25/26 "All Good Things..." - Picard finds himself shifting through three different time periods - the past, present, and future - to solve the mystery of a spatial anomaly that could spell the end of the Federation and all life in the galaxy. Just a fantastically good episode; this series could not have gone out on a better note than this episode. The story is great, the acting, special effects... This is a better movie than 'Generations' - something Ron Moore and Brannon Braga admitted themselves. The episode brings the entire series full-circle not only by bringing back the trial by Q, but also by transporting Picard back to the original Farpoint mission. It's fun to see the crew back in their old uniforms and positions, including returning characters like Tasha and O'Brien. This is not only the best series finale of the entire franchise, it's also one of my favorite episodes of the franchise.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The one and only problem I had with All Good Things was Denise Crosby. She overplayed every single one of her scenes. She strikes me as one of those actors that doesn't seem to realize the episode isn't actually about her character, and that she's really just a bit part. That being said, in comparison to the rest of the episode it's such a minor gripe as to be microscopic in scope.

The rest of the episode was fantastic. Definitely the best TNG had to offer. I'd put All Good Things up against Yesterdays Enterprise and The Best of Both Worlds pt1 any day. Hell, I think it even gives City on the Edge of Forever a run for its money.