TNG. Let's do this shit.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
4x15 "First Contact" - The Enterprise crew makes First Contact with an alien race on the verge of constructing its first warp drive. But paranoid conservatives threaten to derail the whole thing. This is a rather good episode, with the crew trying to convince the aliens that they really are benevolent, despite certain appearances. It tries very hard to paint the liberals as nice, kind people and the conservatives being ruled by fear. But its major failing is that, ultimately, the liberals concede to the conservatives which is frustrating to say the least.
I have an incredibly difficult time liking this episode, and I've never been able to put my finger on why. Every time I rewatch TNG episodes, though, it's one that I skip...and I can usually watch just about any episode, no matter how bad it is. Likely it has something to do with my disdain for Riker's character post season 2.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Riker has seemed to change quite a bit in Seasons 3 and 4. He's far more subdued and not nearly as much fun. He was a very sort of excited fellow in the first two seasons.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x24 "The Mind's Eye" - When the Klingons accuse the Federation of supplying arms to rebels, the Enterprise crew is ordered to investigate. Meanwhile, Geordi is kidnapped by Romulans and brainwashed to become an assassin. Poor Geordi... he's always getting beat up, kidnapped, tortured. Still, this is a good episode that's adding to the very awesome tapestry of an ongoing Klingon/Romulan storyline.

4x25 "In Theory" - While the Enterprise investigates a dark matter nebula, Data experiments with a romantic relationship. This episode is alright. It doesn't have the emotional heft I think that it should, which is too bad. The concept could lead to some truly heartbreaking storytelling, but instead it falls a bit flat. I also think this episode should have been 4x24, and "The Mind's Eye" should have preceded the finale; it would help with a feeling of escalation at the end of the season.

4x26 "Redemption" - The Klingon Empire is plunged into civil war. Worf leaves the Enterprise to serve under Gowron against the forces of Duras. What a great season finale, a culmination of two years worth of Klingon/Romulan storylines, and even ties into "Yesterday's Enterprise" with the reveal of Commander Sela. This episode is thoroughly jam-packed; I can't believe how much stuff happens in just this one episode. It's not quite as awesome as "The Best of Both Worlds," but feels just as huge and epic.

5x01 "Redemption, Part II" - Captain Picard leads a fleet of starships to blockade the Romulan border, cutting off Romulan aide to the Duras family. Commander Sela reveals herself to Picard, and gives him an ultimatum to remove the blockade. A great second part to close out the long-running storyline. It's not quite as good as the first half, but just as jam-packed... which is probably it's failing, as the mystery and emotional impact of Sela is barely dealt with. "Redemption" probably could have used an immediate follow-up episode like "Family" came on the heels of "The Best of Both Worlds". It feels like a missed opportunity.

5x02 "Darmok" - Captain Picard is trapped on a barren world with an alien captain who speaks only in metaphors. What a great episode, well-played by all the actors. It's got everthing you could ask for in a Star Trek episode: action and adventure, great dialogue, mystery and the characters coming together at the end. A clear classic.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x03 "Ensign Ro" - The Enterprise takes on a new crewmember, Bajoran Ensign Ro Laren, to help them investigate reports of a Bajoran terrorist faction attacking Federation colonies along the Cardassian border. This is a pretty good episode, establishing more back story for the Cardassians that will lead into Deep Space Nine. Ro is a good character, hot-headed and dismissive of authority, which is just what the Enterprise crew needs to shake them up a little after 5 years of getting along.

5x04 "Silicon Avatar" - A Federation scientist comes aboard the Enterprise to study the Crystalline Entity, but she may have an ulterior motive beyond simple research. Another perfectly solid episode, this one starting out with a pretty spectacular action sequence on a planet being eaten by the entity. The ending is also quite interesting, as the crew is unable to prevent its death. The relationship between Marr and Data is pretty good, as she starts out disliking him but ultimately he becomes a replacement for her son.

5x05 "Disaster" - When the Enterprise is disabled by a spatial anomaly, the crew is trapped in different areas of the ship, each thinking that the others may be dead, and must find a way to escape and affect repairs. This is a pretty straight-forward episode. It doesn't have any grand ideas, it's just a well-told story about people trying to survive. It's also one of those rare episodes where everyone, including a number of guest players, gets equal screentime. This one is just a fun adventure episode, and that's more than fine.

5x06 "The Game" - Riker brings a game back from Risa that proves popular with the entire crew. But Wesley Crusher, on vacation from the Academy, discovers the game is in fact addictive and may be influencing the crew's behavior. This episode could have gone extremely wrong, but instead it turns out to be one of the better Wesley-centric stories. Wil Wheaton almost seems like a completely different actor, and his return to the Enterprise feels... welcome... despite my dislike of the character previously. Some cool action and good performances make this one a surprising success.

5x07 "Unification, Part I" - Picard and Data travel to Romulus to locate Ambassador Spock, whom Starfleet believes may have defected to the enemy. This episode is alright, but honestly it's a bit disappointing given the implications of bringing Spock into the TNG universe. Probably the best scene in the whole episode is between Picard and Sarek, but otherwise this episode moves a bit too slowly and not much really happens, either.

5x08 "Unification, Part II" - Picard, Data and Spock uncover evidence that the Romulans are planning to invade Vulcan, while the Enterprise attempts to solve the mystery of a stolen Vulcan ship from a Federation depot. Again, there are some good scenes here, and Leonard Nimoy is still great as Spock, but overall this episode is kind of boring and doesn't live up to the potential of the crossover. Sela appears once more, and once again, the emotional impact of such a thing is ignored entirely.

Jun 13, 2006
5x03 "Ensign Ro" - The Enterprise takes on a new crewmember, Bajoran Ensign Ro Laren, to help them investigate reports of a Bajoran terrorist faction attacking Federation colonies along the Cardassian border. This is a pretty good episode, establishing more back story for the Cardassians that will lead into Deep Space Nine. Ro is a good character, hot-headed and dismissive of authority, which is just what the Enterprise crew needs to shake them up a little after 5 years of getting along.
How soon you forget poor Dr. Pulaski.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I just rewatched Redemption part 1... I completely forgot what a kick ass fucking episode it was. When Worf and Picard stepped out of the turbolift and the officers were lining the deck... Awesome, actually choked me up a bit.

Everything about this episode (aside from Denise Crosby's "acting") was awesome.

And on that note, how sad is it, that her little tiny role at the very end, that was like.. 15 seconds long, totally took me out of the episode...

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
How soon you forget poor Dr. Pulaski.
Pulaski was sort of lovably gruff... her character was more than obviously modeled after Leonard McCoy, and the crew warmed to her quickly. The only real problem was her almost nasty disdain for Data, but even that eventually faded.

But Ro is instantly insubordinate and argumentative. Sure, like Pulaski, she's quickly becoming friendly with everyone, but her character has a bit sharper of an edge.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x09 "A Matter of Time" - A ship from the future carrying a man claiming to be a historian appears just as the Enterprise is about to undertake a crucial mission to save a colony of millions from sure destruction. Not bad; Matt Frewer is fun to have around, and there's a good scene between him and Picard discussing the ethics of revealing future events when lives are at stake. A fun but middle of the road episode.

5x10 "New Ground" - Worf struggles with the difficulties of being a father while the Enterprise participates in an experimental new propulsion technology called the 'soliton wave'. This is a pretty interesting episode that reintroduces Alexander to the show, and while the soliton wave is a cool effect it seems woefully impractical. Still, the relationship between Worf and Alexander is far from annoying, and it's good to see the show acknowledging it considering the previous episodes.

5x11 "Hero Worship" - The Enterprise rescues a young boy from a wrecked starship. The only survivor, he soon latches on to Data and begins to emulate him, even claiming to be an android, instead of dealing with his grief. This episode reminds me a lot of the earlier episode, 'The Bonding' in which Worf deals with the young son of an officer killed on an away mission. Still, this is a good episode with some really impressive special effects.

5x12 "Violations" - While transporting three telepathic aliens, Troi, Riker and Crusher fall into inexplicable comas. This episode is a little disturbing; Troi's rape scene seems sort of shocking to me not because it's really graphic but because it seems so compared to the rest of the show. Ultimately, not a bad episode, but fairly forgettable.

5x13 "The Masterpiece Society" - The Enterprise tries to rescue a genetically engineered human colony from destruction, but may have ended up damaging the colony's way of life in the process. Another good episode, with an interesting dilemma for the crew: helping the colonists may have saved their lives, but it will ultimately mean the end of their society anyway. Ron Canada is a good character actor, but he seems wasted here. I think he did better when he guest starred as a Klingon lawyer on 'Deep Space Nine' - though that was a better episode overall, I think.

5x14 "Conundrum" - The crew awakens to find that their memories have been erased. This is a great episode, with a cool premise, good performances and some excellent special effects. The way the mysterious new first officer blends right into the crew is cool; regardless of how obvious he is, at times I almost found myself forgetting that he's an imposter. What caught my attention is the scene where the crew first loses their memories; the scene is shot with somewhat shaky, handheld cameras and or a second the show looked and felt like it was just made recently. I got this weird feeling like I was suddenly watching a 'new' episode of TNG, which speaks to just how different this show is in its technical production from television in 2011.

5x15 "Power Play" - Data, Troi and O'Brien return from an away mission possessed by energy beings and proceed to take hostages in Ten Forward. Another great episode with a couple of cool action sequences. I like the ending in the cargo bay, when, with hostages no longer in the picture, Picard and Worf are pretty willing to sacrifice their own lives to save the ship. Watching Data get to be mean is kinda fun, too.

5x16 "Ethics" - When Worf is paralyzed after an accident in the cargo bay, Doctor Crusher goes to great lengths to heal him. Meanwhile, Worf implores Commander Riker to help him commit suicide. This is yet another great episode. The cast gives great performances, and the script supports it. Riker's scene where he tells Worf how disgusted he is by the Klingon ritual is fantastic, and the bit where Crusher has tears on her face when she goes to see Alexander after the surgery is pretty damn effective.

5x17 "The Outcast" - The Enterprise aids in the rescue of two missing shuttle crewmembers of an alien race who have no gender. But as Riker grows closer to one of them, he finds that those among them who show signs of identifying with a gender are ostracized and forced to undergo a dangerous treatment. This episode is problematic. I applaud it for attempting to address the issue of bigotry against homosexuals, transgenders and the like, but I don't think it's entirely successful. For one, I have a problem with Riker falling for Soren... she doesn't seem his type, and it seems a little forced. Soren's speech at the end is extremely pointed, the point very obvious, but it's also well-written and delivered by the actress. Ultimately, it seems that the show tries to pull its punches and the ending is a little disappointing; in 1992 it may have simply been too early for such a major show to take a stance on homosexuality, even one with such a famous history of tolerance and progressiveness. Still, I think this one is worth watching for its ideas, even if the execution isn't 100% successful. Also, Geordi has a beard for no apparent reason in just this one episode. Weird.

5x18 "Cause and Effect" - The Enterprise is stuck in a time loop that always ends in its destruction. I know people who have said this episode annoys the piss out of them, but I've always enjoyed it. Starting the episode with the Enterprise being blown to bits and killing everyone aboard is a lot of fun. The episode is pretty well constructed, so watching the crew slowly start to remember what's going on over the course of several loops is pretty cool. There are some impressive special effects on display, and even a brief cameo by Kelsey Grammer.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
5x18 "Cause and Effect" - The Enterprise is stuck in a time loop that always ends in its destruction. I know people who have said this episode annoys the piss out of them, but I've always enjoyed it. Starting the episode with the Enterprise being blown to bits and killing everyone aboard is a lot of fun. The episode is pretty well constructed, so watching the crew slowly start to remember what's going on over the course of several loops is pretty cool. There are some impressive special effects on display, and even a brief cameo by Kelsey Grammer.
It's a respectable B- sort of episode, not a stand out, but it's easy to watch and the looping structure is handled well. Is it the repetition that bothers people?

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x19 "The First Duty" - Wesley's flight squad is involved in an accident while practicing a dangerous and forbidden maneuver, which leads to the death of a cadet, and the squad decides to try and cover up the truth. This is another good Wesley episode; it's sad that the character's best stories all occur after he left the main cast. The sense of disappointment from Picard is palpable in his scenes with Wesley. It's also great to see Ray Walston as Boothby, the grumpy groundskeeper of Starfleet Academy. The hints at Picard's rebellious youth are pretty fun, and so is Nick Locarno, the now-obvious precursor for Voyager's Tom Paris.

5x20 "Cost of Living" - Lwaxana Troi returns (again), this time claiming to have found a man she loves and whom she intends to marry aboard the Enterprise. Alas, the promise shown in "Half a Life" seems wasted here as Lwaxana once again feels very much like a cartoon instead of a real character. She has some good scenes, especially when she describes her loneliness to Alexander, but for the most part this episode is kind of aggravating.

5x21 "The Perfect Mate" - Picard must try to resist the charms of an alien woman engineered to attract men who is destined to marry an alien leader. Pretty solid episode, with some solid performances. Didn't blow me away. I've long-since lost interest in the Ferengi on TNG (though I do love a lot of their developments on DS9).

5x22 "Imaginary Friend" - While traveling through an energy field, an alien being takes the form of a young girl's imaginary friend and begins to make threats against the ship. Another solid, but unremarkable episode. Bad acting on the part of the alien girl seems to fit rather than being a complaint, since she's not human and doesn't understand human behavior.

5x23 "I, Borg" - The Enterprise crew rescues an injured adolescent Borg from a crashed ship. At first, they plan on using the Borg to send a virus to destroy the Collective, but once it begins to show signs of individuality, the crew faces a moral dilemma they hadn't prepared for. This is a great episode, with good performances all around. The scene where Picard finally meets Hugh and is shocked when Hugh refers to himself as "I" for the first time is great. It's also notable to see that the Borg used in a dramatic manner, without any violence.

5x24 "The Next Phase" - While attempting to repair a damaged Romulan ship, it appears to the crew that a transporter accident has killed La Forge and Ensign Ro. Instead, their bodies are 'phased', rendering them invisible and able to move through objects and people at will. This is a pretty fun episode; we get to see the crew's reaction to losing one of their own in a different manner than when Tasha died, but with an interesting sci-fi hook, some humor and nifty special effects.

5x25 "The Inner Light" - An alien probe zaps Picard to an alien world where he lives an entire lifetime in the span of just a few minutes. Just a good, solid drama. The sci-fi hook to the episode is ultimately rather minimal, letting the emotions take the forefront. Patrick Stewart gives another great performance. There's a nice, gentle tone to the entire thing that makes it easy to watch and ultimately quite rewarding.

5x26 "Time's Arrow, Part I" - The Enterprise is recalled to Earth when an archaeological dig makes a startling discovery in a cavern beneath San Francisco: Data's head, aged 500 years. This isn't a bad episode, it's pretty silly and has some decent ideas behind it as Data is finally forced to confront his own mortality. But ultimately, it just feels limp as a season finale. Even the cliffhanger doesn't seem all that important. This would make a fine mid-season two-parter, but as a season finale it's a failure - especially after great closers like "Best of Both Worlds" and "Redemption" before it.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x01 "Time's Arrow, Part II" - The crew attempts to rescue Data from 19th century San Francisco and ends up meeting a past version of Guinan as well as Samuel Clemens, aka Mark Twain. Again, like part one, this is a decent episode and it has some fun bits but overall just doesn't feel worthy of a season finale/premiere. Jerry Hardin is typically an actor I've liked, such as on 'The X-Files', but here he's kind of annoying. His voice as Clemens is just too over the top, even for the admittedly comedic tone of the episode in general.

6x02 "Realm of Fear" - Barclay must overcome his fear of the transporter in order to help the crew of a science ship that may be stranded inside the beam. Barclay continues to be a fun presence, and the writers have managed to move past my initial qualms about the character.

6x03 "Man of the People" - An alien ambassador begins to dump his negative emotions on Troi, causing her behavior to spiral wildly out of control, while he conducts sensitive negotiations on an alien world. Honestly, this probably the first flat-out awful episode the show has had since season two. Getting through it was a total chore, and the whole thing just seems embarrassing for the cast, especially Sirtis, who has to throw herself whoreishly at every man in the room.

6x04 "Relics" - The Enterprise crew encounters a Dyson Sphere, a massive habitable sphere constructed around a star, and a crashed ship that holds a surprise: Chief Engineer of the original starship Enterprise, Montgomery Scott, in suspended animation. Like "Unification," this crossover episode falls a little flat despite the potential. Geordi and Scotty clashing is alright, but it's more fun when they get along. It's too bad we don't get to learn more about the Dyson Sphere, since the concept is so fascinating. I recall reading the novelization years and years ago and really enjoying a subplot where Riker leads an away team to the abandoned inner surface. Expanding this one to a two-parter and incorporating that might have been cool. Oh well.

6x05 "Schisms" - Certain members of the crew believe they are experiencing the same dreams only to discover that they've all been kidnapped in the night and subjected to dangerous medical tests. This is an alright episode, but nothing spectacular. The scene where the crew rebuilds their dream on the holodeck is kind of clever, and a bit creepy, but ultimately the reveal of the subspace aliens as Sleestaks in robes is disappointing.

6x06 "True Q" - A young woman aboard the Enterprise begins to exhibit fantastic powers, and the crew discovers that she is in fact a Q. Not a bad episode, far from the worst of Q's appearances, but not the best. Something seems to be missing in this one; John de Lancie is trying very hard, but his dialogue just isn't as witty as it has been previously. Still, it's ultimately a pretty interesting story and I like the resolution.

6x07 "Rascals" - Captain Picard, Guinan, Ensign Ro and Keiko O'Brien are reverted to their childhood selves, which causes problems until the ship is hijacked by Ferengi. This episode goes along fine dealing with the impact of having adults in a child's body, especially the crew's uncomfortableness taking commands from kid-Picard and O'Brien not sure how to interact with his wife. But the Ferengi hijacking derails everything interesting going on in favor of overt silliness. The Ferengi have long-since failed to be anything but comedic villains.

6x08 "A Fistful of Datas" - During some downtime between missions, Worf, Alexander and Counselor Troi participate in a holodeck program patterned after the old west. Despite this being a 'stuck on the holodeck' adventure, this one is good fun. The cast is having fun, and the western setting is something new for the show. The final scene goes a bit too far, but still this is a fun one.

6x09 "The Quality of Life" - Data believes that robotic tools constructed aboard an experimental mining station may be new artificial life forms, and disobeys orders to protect them. Despite the silly design of the 'exo-comps', this is a worthy episode. Data's conviction to protecting the machines as life forms is a good concept to build an episode around, though his insubordination doesn't really come about until right at the end. I think that would have been worth spending a little more time on than running the same 'are they or aren't they' test over and over again.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x10 "Chain of Command, Part I" - Captain Picard is relieved of command of the Enterprise and sent on a secret mission into Cardassian territory. The ship's new captain, Edward Jellico, clashes with the crew. More backstory being setup for 'Deep Space Nine', this episode even kind of feels more like a story from that show rather than TNG. Jellico is a total asshole, and it's kind of fun to watch him shake up the crew.

6x11 "Chain of Command, Part II" - Captain Picard is tortured by Cardassians while Jellico and the Enterprise attempt to uncover evidence of a Cardassian invasion of a Federation system. Just a fantastic episode all around, especially the scenes between David Warner and Patrick Stewart which have rightly become classic. "There are four lights!" So awesome. Jellico is still a total asshole, but he gets things done in his own kinda badass way

6x12 "Ship in a Bottle" - Moriarty returns and traps Picard, Data and Barclay in the holodeck until they can figure out a way for him to leave the holodeck with his girlfriend. This one isn't quite as fun as Moriarty's previous appearance, but it's still entertaining. I'm not sure that the conclusion makes much sense, but I'll allow it.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x13 "Acquiel" - The Enterprise investigates the disappearance of the crew of a communications outpost on the Klingon border and Geordi discovers that all is not as it seems. I really wish the writers wouldn't be so harsh on Geordi all the time. Nothing ever works out for the guy, and he's constantly being beat up, kidnapped, fucked up, brainwashed and screwed over. This episode is mostly pretty dull; the mystery seems messy and the resolution isn't particularly intriguing.

6x14 "Face of the Enemy" - Counselor Troi is kidnapped, surgically altered, and forced to participate in a dangerous mission smuggling Romulan dissidents out of the Empire. I was surprised by this one; I remember hating it years ago, but it was surprisingly entertaining. Finally, someone managed to give Troi an episode where her abilities are put to good use, and we get to see a completely different side of her as she must navigate an extremely dangerous situation without much knowledge of what's going on. It also has an unusually energetic and entertaining musical score by Don Davis, who would later score 'The Matrix' films.

6x15 "Tapestry" - Captain Picard is killed on an away mission and in the afterlife meets his worst nightmare: Q. The omnipotent trickster gives Picard a chance to go back in time and correct a major regret, but doing so leads to unforeseen consequences for the future. What a great episode, a sort of "Christmas Carol" or "It's a Wonderful Life" in space which could have easily been a disaster but instead turns out to be a very entertaining story. Patrick Stewart and John de Lancie have always worked excellently together and this episode is no exception. The insight into Picard's younger days is pretty fascinating.

Last edited:

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
6x16 "Birthright, Part I" - While visiting Deep Space Nine, Worf receives information that his father may not have died in the Romulan attack at Khitomer. Meanwhile, Dr. Bashir accidentally helps Data discover his ability to dream. This is a pretty decent episode, but it feels a little weird. Apparently Bashir's role was originally written for Jadzia Dax, but the scheduling didn't work out. It makes Bashir's scenes seem a little odd, but whatever. It's a nice little crossover.

6x17 "Birthright, Part II" - Worf finds the Romulan prison camp and discovers that nothing about it is as he thought it would be. This episode's problem is just that it's thoroughly boring. I have no idea why this particular story was selected to expand to a two-parter, because it barely feels like there's enough to sustain two episodes. In fact, the subplot from the first part involving Data's dreams is dropped entirely. Further complicating matters is how muddled Worf's story becomes. He finds a place where, for the first time in history, Klingons and Romulans are able to live together peacefully... and proceeds to totally destroy their way of life, grousing angrily about his blood-hatred for Romulans and teaching the young folk of the colony to feel the same.

6x18 "Starship Mine" - Picard is trapped aboard the Enterprise during a cleansing radiation sweep along with a group of thieves who intend to steal trilithium from the warp core. This is a fun, though disposable action-adventure episode. We get to see Picard playing John McClane, and that's pretty cool. One thing doesn't make much sense - the barion sweep is totally horizontal, yet at least once characters are able to get around it to certain parts of the ship that have already been swept.

6x19 "Lessons" - Picard falls for a crewmember, only to have to send her on a dangerous mission that could prove deadly. ...Honestly, I fell asleep during this episode and didn't bother to go back and try it again. Take that as you will.

6x20 "The Chase" - When Picard's old archaeology professor is murdered, the investigation uncovers evidence of a computer program over four billion years old buried in the DNA of humans, Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians. This is a fun episode. The scene where Data arm-wrestles the Klingon captain is a riot, and the ultimate resolution feels very 'Star Trek'. This should have been a two-part episode instead of that lame "Birthright" story.

6x21 "Frame of Mind" - Riker can't tell the difference between fiction and reality after he's sent on an undercover mission to an alien world. This is a very bizarre episode, I think it does a pretty good job of making you question what's real and what's not... of course, the "twist" at the end is ultimately that NONE of it is. Frakes gives a good performance.

6x22 "Suspicions" - Dr. Crusher tries to solve the mystery of who killed a Ferengi scientist and sabotaged his revolutionary new shield technology. I don't understand why this episode centers on Crusher. Why she would be so interested in metaphasic shielding makes no sense. As such, the whole episode just feels wrong and I had trouble watching it.

6x23 "Rightful Heir" - The Klingon Empire could be thrown into turmoil when the long-dead Kahless the Unforgettable seemingly returns from the dead. This episode feels like a waste. So soon after "Birthright," the last thing I wanted was another episode about "what it means to be Klingon." It's not a bad episode at all, just not very interesting.

6x24 "Second Chances" - The Enterprise tries to retrieve scientific data left on a planet eight years prior and makes a surprising discovery: a transporter duplicate of Riker who has lived alone on the surface for years. This is a pretty solid episode. The two Rikers don't get along, and bringing up the former relationship between Riker and Troi works well, too.

6x25 "Timescape" - Picard, Data, Troi and Geordi discover a series of temporal anomalies - one of which has swallowed the Enterprise in the midst of a battle with the Romulans. This is another fun episode where the characters get to walk around and have fun in a world where time is frozen. It's a little weird, but it's an entertaining hour. But it does show off the series' increasing use of "technobabble" solutions instead of character-driven stories.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
6x21 "Frame of Mind" - Riker can't tell the difference between fiction and reality after he's sent on an undercover mission to an alien world. This is a very bizarre episode, I think it does a pretty good job of making you question what's real and what's not... of course, the "twist" at the end is ultimately that NONE of it is. Frakes gives a good performance.
I think this is one of those episodes that is sort of ruined a little by the way television was produced back then, because I think these kinds of episodes work better with some sort of a character and story arc to give them some context. I always wonder what this show and Voyager would have been like if they'd streched out some of the major events in the show a bit more and had less time for those "meh" episodes.

Big stories like "Best of Both Worlds", "Redemption", "Chain of Command" and Voyager's "Basics", could have been adapted easily into four or five episodes, maybe more. I mean, I once did a plan of how I'd re-do Voyager and I had them spending most of season 3 trying to recapture the ship off the Kazon.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Indeed. "Best of Both Worlds" picks up on elements in "Q Who" (obviously) but also in "The Neutral Zone," while "Redemption" is really the culmination of "Sins of the Father" and "Reunion," though all of these stories are seasons apart. I think we're lucky we got six episodes before they retook DS9 from the Dominion.

6x26 "Descent, Part I" - The Enterprise responds to a distress call from a Federation outpost and encounters a group of Borg who don't seem to be part of the Collective. At the same time, Data appears to experience his first emotion: Anger. A good premise for an episode, but the execution falters. The opening action sequence is cool and well directed, and the teaser with Data playing poker with Isaac Newton, Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein is a lot of fun. Otherwise, this episode just never clicks.

7x01 "Descent, Part II" - Lore captures Picard, Geordi and Troi. While Riker and Worf search for them on the surface, Crusher must fend off the Borg ship in orbit. Even worse than the first part, this episode is dull and doesn't have much to say. Lore has changed from a jealous, vindictive brother into an android drug dealer running a tin empire. The emotional Borg aren't explored at all, merely thugs for Lore's gang. Despite the lacking script, Brent Spiner's performance is of note - the look of disdain Data gives Lore when Lore asks for thanks is well-played, as is their final scene together.

7x02 "Liaisons" - While the Enterprise participates in a cultural exchange, Picard is stranded on a barren world with a woman who is not entirely sane. Pretty solid episode; I did really enjoy watching Worf grow more and more frustrated and the poker scene where he finally beats the shit out of the alien ambassador. The subplot with Picard is less interesting, but not too bad.

7x03 "Interface" - Geordi uses an experimental virtual reality interface to board a ship trapped in the atmosphere of a planet. This episode has the right idea, and the emotional hook with Geordi's mother being missing is fine. But the hook with the probe just doesn't work; this is the 24th century, and frankly this just doesn't seem, well, futuristic enough. Remote controlled robots are nothing new in our century... or in the last one, when this episode was produced.

7x04 "Gambit, Part I" - The Enterprise encounters space pirates while investigating the apparent murder of Captain Picard. Fuckin space pirates, man! This episode is cheesy and corny, with some overblown twists to round things out. Fun times.

Last edited:

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
I really enjoyed Gambit, because it was cheesy and corny, but not once did it take itself seriously. It was what it was trying to be; a corny space adventure. Watching Patrick Stewart ham it up is a riot, to boot.