TNG-HD rewatch

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x01 "Evolution" - Hooooooly shit. Right from the opening shot, the jump in quality between restoration teams is noticeable. The Enterprise once again looks incredible, full of detail and color, not drab and washed out like it was in Season 2. Further, the show changed photography styles in Season 3... in SD, both on TV and DVD, the latter seasons of the show looked flatter, with lower contrast. But here... my god, it's wonderful. The photography has an incredible, filmic look to it, with bold colors and excellent detail. Black levels are incredible, with the dark parts of the new Starfleet uniforms as well as shadows looking really amazing.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x02 "The Ensigns of Command" - Another stellar-looking episode. There's a new planet on display, one which has some fabulous upper atmosphere effects. The Enterprise is perfectly composited into the image, once again with color reflecting on it from the planet - again, unlike Season 2. The live action footage looks great; the amount of detail visible on sets, props and costumes is still astonishing. I find myself staring at people's clothing, checking out the patterns and stitching. It's great. The scene at the end when Picard checks out the Enterprise's dedication plaque... you can practically read the small text on it.

Last edited:

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x03 The Survivors - This one is a little up and down. Scenes on the Enterprise look great, as do all the special effects. But there are a couple of scenes that take place inside the Uxbridge's home that seem a bit soft. Particularly, the scene where Picard and Worf have tea. I suspect it's a fault of the original photography rather than the restoration. This episode features some starship combat, and it looks rockin'. Phasers and torpedoes slam into the enemy shields, and the Enterprise takes some cool hits that look like lightning coursing around the ship. Totally cool.