TNG-HD rewatch

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
An fx error related to compositing. In the matte painting inside the Borg cube, it looks like Worf half-disappears, just like that shot of the Enterprise in The Schizoid Man. I'm almost to that episode, so I'll confirm it soon.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
This is why I asked about whether or not they were recompositing or using CGI, I'm wondering if some of the original stock footage they're using was just lit too brightly for them to do anything about it.
There is that possibility, but even shots repeated from season one look different.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I'm reading up on this, and apparently it's due to CBS outsourcing the work on even numbered seasons to keep to the release schedule. So you can expect the work for Season 3 to look better.

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
It looks like the company that did season 2 will not be doing season 4, so fingers crossed. It's sad though, because they've basically ruined this release. I could see them making replacement discs to fix the worst errors like missing parts of people and ships, but the quality of the work will never be improved.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I won't say that it's ruined... It's certainly a step down from season one. It just doesn't have the polish it should have. Much of the season still looks incredible. But I am glad that season three will more than likely blow us away and that this company won't be working on further seasons.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x14 "The Icarus Factor" - Not much in this episode for special effects, just a new planet. Definitely a bottle episode, but despite some unfortunate costuming, the restoration work is solid.

2x15 "Pen Pals" - Another good-looking episode. The makeup on the little girl holds up, when it comes to the prosthetics on her face. Her hands on the other hand look terribly fake. The new CG planet it also a disappointment. Shots involving Data standing in front of a green screen tend to look overly soft. Location shots during Picard's horseback riding scenes look really, really good.

2x16 "Q Who" - This episode is maddeningly inconsistent. Let me say that all the live-action photography looks phenomenal. Dark scenes aboard the shuttlecraft and then in Ten-Forward are wonderful. The Borg ship interior set looks incredible, and even the old-style Borg makeup and costumes hold up better than I would have guessed. Many of the special effects shots, of which there are many, also look excellent. Phaser blasts, the Borg individual shields, lightning effects, all great. What's NOT great are some of the effects in the battle sequences toward the end of the episode. When Worf fires a bunch of shots to disable the Borg ship - looks great. The restoration team put in some very sharp-looking new explosions. Later, when the Enterprise fires torpedoes during the chase sequence the team left in the old explosions, and they look soft, ill-defined and... kinda terrible. And, of course, there's the aforementioned matte shot where Worf is half-erased for some reason. Still... 99% of this episode is totally rocking. But the few problems it does have are highly noticeable.

2x17 "Samaritan Snare" - Shots inside the shuttlecraft, with the darkened lighting, look great - save for an annoying flashing light. But that's not the fault of the restoration, it was some jackass decision by the designers or the director. The Pakled ship looks fine; the hazy atmosphere works just as well as the Klingon ship did a few episodes earlier. The effects for the Enterprise blowing out glowing hydrogen look very nice.

2x18 "Up The Long Ladder" - No real special effects to speak of, but this episode features a lot of detailed clothing on the refugees that the ship picks up. You can see lots of patches and stitching and generally just how grubby these folks are. Again, the live-action photography is pretty flawless.

2x19 "Manhunt" - Lwaxana's middle-aged cleavage in HD. Also, Mick Fleetwood as a space-fish/assassin. Those costumes look a little absurd, but they're pretty highly-detailed, which is nice. The Starfleet dress uniforms hold up well, too.

2x20 "The Emissary" - A return to Worf's holodeck workout program is welcome - more crazy alien creatures for him to kill. The effects when he slices one of them in half are pretty cool. Klingon makeup looks great, as does footage of the old Klingon ship which was lifted from "The Motion Picture."

2x21 "Peak Performance" - This episode is clearly the special effects winner of this entire season. The planet looks great, all the shots of the starship Hathaway look great, the Ferengi ship, the battle sequences - just awesome, totally awesome. If the rest of the season had looked this good, I wouldn't have had a single complaint. The lighting and coloring on the Enterprise in this episode is seriously gorgeous.

2x22 "Shades of Gray" - Um... Nice stock footage? I don't know what to say about this one, really. Sadly, it has the best-looking new planet of the season, for some reason. Otherwise, the live-action photography is again, flawless, though the sickbay set tends to be rather flatly lit. Also, Riker's grandfather is Chuck Norris.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
But the few problems it does have are highly noticeable.
Which is what I meant when I said "ruined". This is likely the only hi-def restoration this show is ever going to get, and because these issues stick out so much, and are unlikely to be resolved, it's going to bother me every time i watch it. It's like when I notice a really glaring continuity error in a film, every time I watch that film after that I end up looking out for the error, not the story, and it just completely takes me out of it.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I suppose the upshot to this is that CBS is gonna hear about the crap job their third party did, and come down on them fucking hard. It's just a shame that Q Who? got such a shitty treatment.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I suppose the upshot to this is that CBS is gonna hear about the crap job their third party did, and come down on them fucking hard. It's just a shame that Q Who? got such a shitty treatment.
I wonder what CBS can actually do about it, considering they've already approved and distributed it. We already know this company isn't doing season 4, but that decision was made before this set was released. Let's face it, these sort of issues could easily have been avoided if CBS just asked a Star Trek fan to watch the set before it went into production and try to spot any fuck ups. They wouldn't even need to pay anyone. Hell, I'd do it for £10.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Which is what they should be doing. It's almost incredible that they haven't tried this by now considering Trek's large and dedicated fanbase and our reputation for being thorough.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I think they may have also just set themselves an unrealistic timeline for this project considering the sheer amount of work involved. They want three seasons out next year so it can finish in 2014, but we are talking seven years worth of post production work here.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
That's quite true. And considering they need to dig through 25 year old film reels for the exact takes used in the original, it's probably more difficult in some respects than it was to do the original post when the show was being made.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
That's quite true. And considering they need to dig through 25 year old film reels for the exact takes used in the original, it's probably more difficult in some respects than it was to do the original post when the show was being made.
After watching a few of the "making of" videos they've released for the sets I would hazard a guess and say that at least half of the work that goes into one of these sets is tracking down all of the original footage. I remember they showed the warehouse where everything is stored and explained that while they might find the right boxes for a particular episode, with most of the needed footage, sometimes a little 1 minute segment wouldn't be there since it was reused in a subsequent episode.

Which means of course that they have to look through hundreds of boxes for 1 minute worth of footage. I can't imagine that's an easy task. The actual post itself probably doesn't take nearly as much time as getting all the footage together.

As for crowd sourcing quality control, they really don't even need that many people. Get 12 fans who have an intimate knowledge of the shows as well as being well versed on all the a/v aspects and sit them down over a few days at the studio. Give them munchies and notepads. I don't imagine you'd even have to pay them. Most Trek fans (myself included) would do it for the enjoyment of it as well as the "fan cred" it would bring.

Hell, Brikar has demonstrated in this very thread that it doesn't take that long to go through a set and find the major flaws. And this is a guy with a full time job doing it for fun.