Thought I'd share

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
It's his way of adding cheap detail yet still being lazy ;)
Spot on. :)

And, it's not an air vent, it's the back of a computer screen, I was just saying that the little vents on it were a pain in the ass to model.

Also, I thought having the SF logo, with the vents cut into a circle surrounding it would look cool, and i was right :D

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
OK, my mistake. Sorry.

Let me ask u this? I agree then if it is the back of a monitor then why don't you make the starfleet emblem the same color like it is a molded into the piece? I like it, but just trying to apply real world sort of take on things.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I prefer to think SF buys them in from a contractor and slaps their emblem on it. Also, in the real world, there's no such thing as a 90 degree angle. If I incorporate a shape into the model that doesn't line up with the points in the mesh, it's impossible to round off the edges and make it look realistic because the smoothing algorithms only accept polygons with less than 5 sides.

Notice how barely any polys on this mesh have more than 5 sides (and the ones that do need adjusting).

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Took me a while and a lot of practice to get it up to where it is, but there's still room for improvement. My understanding of surfaces and textures is much better, and I can model much faster.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
So, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the texturing, here's what it looks like toned down a bit. Since the basic surface properties are something I'm hoping to recycle for other objects on the bridge, it's kinda important I get this right.

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Thanks dude. It really nags at me when there's something not quite right and I know it. I know it sounds like I'm just looking for an ego boost, but I really need other people to tell me it looks good or I'll just be forever fucking around with it.