Thought I'd share

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Building the keys in different layers didn't help?
Yes, for instance I used a gradient set to slope to keep the dust concentrated around the sides, and several procedurals for the pattern of dust. What I'm struggling with is actually getting the specularity, texture size and bump mapping right. Once I've gotten the dust around the sides looking alright, it'll just be a matter of applying the same thing less densely on the top of the keys.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Now what about fingerprints and Doritos crumbs?
Actually, when Ro and I were still talking, we discussed this and both independently of each other decided there'd be coffee-cup rings and fingerprints and dust in those hard to clean areas. It's still part of the plan, as is a branded coffee machine "Made with the finest Tellerite Beans", an old fashioned bulletin board and a couple of other contemporary touches. I really like the idea of bringing the ideal world of Star Trek closer to our own. Eventually, that'll get done, and since I can literally copy and paste the more detailed stuff on the table like keyboards and monitors around the bridge, progress should be exponential. I will finish this.

Oh, and allow me to present my first paid CG work:

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Nope. I haven't been on ST(R) since the incident. I've replied to a few of his posts on TW, but the only one that got a response was one where I suggested that telling people who aren't sure about Obama that they're idiots isn't really the best way to convince them, to which he responded with something like "We both know what this is about and you know I'm right" or something. Yeah, I agree with a lot of his politics, but starting threads where you call a lot of people who've been manipulated by the media idiots isn't really going to change their minds.

Remember, even though we've exchanged e-mails for the bigger part of a decade and I've contributed a large amount of time to his project, I was just pretending to be his friend. :p

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Flaming Cosmonaut made some less than friendly comments about Ro and Star_Child in Angry Beaver, there was some brief discussion of Ro's increasing aggressiveness in recent years and someone attributed it to his losing his girlfriend a few years ago. Basically, Ro randomly decided to visit the Astrobar and read that thread, (rightly) took offence, then (wrongly) started arguing with all those involved. He used to be a semi-regular here and he knows the rules and what kind of atmosphere we want, but he decided to break the peace and do it anyway.

Now my attitude towards it is that yes, people shouldn't have been talking about him on an open forum because it's against the rules, and one of us mods should have intervened earlier. But the comments were not made in a confrontational way because none of them were expecting them to be read by Ro, so "they started it" wasn't an excuse.

I subsequently confronted him about it, told him to calm down and that he was overreacting, which he took as me taking their sides and then accused me of believing their "narrative" yadda yadda yadda and that he knew all along that I've never been his friend and I was just lying the whole time.

What I was really surprised about was that unlike when I throw similar tantrums now and again with RL friends, he didn't turn around the next day and say "Sorry dude, I didn't mean it, I was just having a bad day and was acting like a bit of a douche".

Closet Racist

Aug 2, 2004
Vortex 4.
Not to bring any of that stuff up again, but I wasn't trying to instigate anything, nor was I unaware the he had access to those comments. So, I wasn't talking behind his back. I let him swagger all he wants at TW unless he steps on my toes and idon't recall having ever posted over at ST:Ro. I don't even go over there for shit and giggles just to see how "villified" I've become because I could care less.

Last edited: