Thought I'd share

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
Cymro, that is excellent work... and I like the substitution of the Menu key for the Windows key.

I had a thought... in battle conditions, perhaps the letters on the keys could be red (for low-light conditions as used in real battle conditions).

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I had a thought... in battle conditions, perhaps the letters on the keys could be red (for low-light conditions as used in real battle conditions).
Sure, why not.

The hardest part of making it was the fact that I had to make something like 100 separate keys lined up in a special way, and then any changes I wanted to make would have to be done to all of them. Imagine you have 2000 polygons and you have to select 500 of them individually with your mouse just so you can move them a mm to the left. Pain in the ass. I also had a not so fun time making appropriately sized holes for the keys to fit inside. Then I had to create a texture for it which was more tedium (Push a key, align the character, deselect and repeat). The near photorealism certainly is encouraging (and helped by the presence of texture), but I still need to work some more on the surfaces with bump maps and dirt etc.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
So Lightwave doesn't incorporate the ability to group opbjects together, and manage the group as a single entity? What a pain in the ass.
It does, but you've got to select them first, and without selecting the wrong ones, which is hard cause it's 3D space and polygons can be covered by other polygons. The other issue is that some of the tools are designed to work with continuous polygons, meaning you can only use it on one part at a time.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Cymro, do you have a gallery of the stuff you've done? If not, then please indulge us/me. I think this shit is coo
I used to maintain this site with my creations, but it's all early stuff that was really fucking lame (like the Romulan ships bean is referring to). It hasn't been updated since the first quarter of 2004, and I didn't really do anything else until I tried to build the Enterprise for ST(R), but never finished, and this is the first thing I've done since them. Most of what I've ever done Lightwave or otherwise (even music) has been posted on this board:

link

link
link

I'm essentially learning this shit in my spare time and my recent acquisition of a faster computer has helped.

As for the keyboard, I've been working on the surfaces , so it now looks like this:

Last edited:

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
I remember watching your work evolve on the E... I still think it was a cool experience, getting to watch your work evolve, as well as your skills.

That keyboard is looking beautiful. I'm still amazed how software can simulate depth of field, 3-d textures, and multiple light sources. Are you planning on adding some wear to some of the keys?

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
That keyboard is looking beautiful. I'm still amazed how software can simulate depth of field, 3-d textures, and multiple light sources.
It is amazing, but I guess if you can work out a mathematical formula for why bed sheets wrinkle, it makes sense that we can do the same with light :p.

Are you planning on adding some wear to some of the keys?
Yes, though I haven't quite figured out how I'll be doing it.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
They'd be worth it only in a demonstration of how far he's progressed (No offense Cymro). They were nowhere near the same level of quality that he's pushing out now.

Best comparison, a stick figure compared to a near perfect portrait.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
and I like the substitution of the Menu key for the Windows key.
Being an optimist, I decided there would be no windows in the future. I put the cancel next to it cause I can't figure out what the one on my keyboard actually does.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The windows key opens the start menu and the one next to it is a substitution for right clicking.

Unless you mean your keyboard actually has a cancel key, in which case, I have no idea.