Thought I'd share

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
So, I've been playing with Lightwave again. Until a couple of weeks ago, this was going to be the "Command Table" for the bridge on ST(R). I'm going to continue building it for practice. Anyway, I think I'm getting better, whadya think?

(Enterprise Included for reference)

Last edited:

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
I like it, but I think the rim of the table, the usable space, ought to be expanded a bit, at least enough to comfortably fit a sheet of paper or a file. Aesthetically, it's damn near perfect, but functionally, it's not particularly excellent, assuming an officer needs to bring exhibits to a briefing or whatnot.

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
OK, how about the data cards? TREK of that vintage always had data cards. If you are going to make room for paper, what about a receptacle (sp?) for the data cards?

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
OK, how about the data cards? TREK of that vintage always had data cards. If you are going to make room for paper, what about a receptacle (sp?) for the data cards?
Aha! That's what the little panel to the right of the Keyboard will have.

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
OK three more things...what is that multitude of circular gingerbread around the periphery of the table?

Second, you need cup holders dammit!!! Don't need a cup of coffee spilling all over everything and shorting it out if there is sudden jolt to the ship.

Thirdly, are those supposed to be back to back monitor screens in the center of the table? If so, what about slightly elevating the end of the screen near the center point of your table where the monitors meet, like 15 or 20% to make it more readable to the operator?

I know what you are going for (I think), but even the table in Next Gen engineering had an upright monitor and in Enterprise they had a flt screen on the table but the image also was shown on monitors on the wall if I am remembering correctly.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Yeah, I can't say I like the little circles all around the edge. Maybe if you removed those and just left the ridge for contour. But from the looks of what you have so far, you're going for more "utilitarian" than stylish. Other than that it looks great.

lol, the last CG work I saw from you was back when you were doinf those textureless Romulan ships lol. You haven't just improved, you've come LIGHT YEARS from then. Good stuff.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
what is that multitude of circular gingerbread around the periphery of the table?
Lights. It's not something I particularly like either, but for the moment I can't think of anything else to put there to make it more interesting in terms of aesthetics. I'm toying with the idea of sort of a handrail.

Thirdly, are those supposed to be back to back monitor screens in the center of the table? If so, what about slightly elevating the end of the screen near the center point of your table where the monitors meet, like 15 or 20% to make it more readable to the operator?
It is on an angle, if you look closely you'll notice the rim of the elevated bit gets thicker around the middle. I previously had them on more of an angle, but I didn't like the way it looked.

The table isn't supposed to be used for briefings or anything like that, it's just somewhere for the Captain and First Officer to stand and give out orders when something's afoot, so you've got the intercom phone, something to change the alert status, and a screen to show them vital info, command codey controls, and that's it.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
You guys are assholes :)

OK, I decided to ignore Spen, cuz Kirk has an office to do paperwork in, but I've put more of an angle on the table and cut some stuff out. Unfortunately I made a mistake, got pissed off and closed Lightwave. I then found out that I'd saved my mistake, so now it looks like this:

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
You'd think so, but what actually happened when I mirrored it was that the points - even though I knifed it right at 0 on the Z axis - didn't line up. I've also managed to completely delete some parts of the mesh.

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
Silly question, but does Lightwave create backups?

Either way, I like where you're going with this. It's very Command-centric, yet BSG-esque with the comm handset and the table-like rear/forward section. Perhaps you could stretch that portion to enable room for strategic planning and astrometric viewing....

And Stag's right... it needs cupholders. And you're right... a handrail would be both functional and serve as a nice aesthetic touch.

I haven't mentioned it to Ro, but I was thinking that some 'retro' touches from a traditional naval perspective might be nice. Sailors are always polishing brass and whatnot... so perhaps some similar items might be in order... perhaps the handrail could be polished steel, as well as the sides of the console (but not the com wheel itself)...?

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
There were some fundamental flaws with the old keyboard that would have shown up in close ups, so I made a new one, complete with textures.

Building a keyboard is actually one of the hardest and lengthiest jobs I've ever tried to do with lightwave.

Last edited: