'The Walking Dead' 1x01-2

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
AMC has aired two episodes of the series now. The pilot, directed by Frank Darabont, was just plain freaking awesome. It takes the basic blueprint of the comics, brings it to life and expands up on it.

My favorite part of the pilot is probably expanding on the roles of Morgan and Duane Jones, the father and son that find lead character Rick Grimes after he's woken up in the hospital after the zombocalypse. In the comic, these characters were around for a few scenes at the beginning, basically used to dole out exposition regarding the state of civilization (or lack thereof). Here, they stick around for much of the pilot, again doling out exposition, but they're also developed into more fully-fledged characters.

Probably the best addition is Morgan's wife. The scene where she tries to open the door of the house, with Rick looking through the peephole... fucking ultra creepy. That actress just nailed it... There's something about the way she breathes, opening and closing her mouth like that, just one of the scariest things I've seen on TV.

The scene later where Morgan tries to kill her, also excellent. Great emotion, Lennie James' performance was awesome, Bear McCreary's music was perfect. And the ending, with Rick getting to Atlanta and discovering it's entirely overrun by the dead, getting into that tank... what a great cliffhanger.

I didn't think the second episode was quite as good. Not to say it was bad, it was great. But something about it wasn't quite as... measured? I think Frank Darabont is a great director. Whoever directed this second episode doesn't quite have his artistic hand. Still, there are a lot of great moments. The cracking glass of the store doors was really cool.

Michael Rooker's character seemed like the kind of standard douche he normally plays. He's not a character that was in the comics, so I'm not sure yet if he'll be anything I'd calla worthy addition. The comics' cast of characters at this point in the series was already pretty large, and I'm not really sure why they're increasing that for the TV adaptation.

Overall, though, for my money... "The Walking Dead" is the best thing I've seen this fall.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Episode 1x03 was another winner. The opening scene, Merle going nuts on the rooftop was well-played by Michael Rooker. I thought the last shot was pretty predictable, but otherwise this episode was great. I'm really looking forward to how they handle Shane in the next three episodes. I'm worried that Carl isn't being developed - at all - since he's integral to what happens between Rick, Lori and Shane in the comics.

It's going to be a LONG wait for Season Two.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
mother fuckers! why can't the networks get behind a good show and give is a full season for a change. I hate this fucking half season, mini season, 2 part season bullshit. personally I blame Lost and BSG. they were the first heavily serialized shows to get away with it IIRC. I miss the days of TNG when you knew your show would be on wednesday night at 8 for more or less the entire season minus a week or two.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The problem with that theory Brikar, is that there's such a long wait between the "testing" phase and the picked up season that a show doing that is bound up lose a lot of viewers who simply forget about it.
Cymro, I don't have a problem with 13 episode seasons. You're spot on with the quality issue. My issue is with the 6-12 months between seasons that networks seem to be getting more comfortable with. Even if they only aired every other week, it'd be preferable up waiting almost a year for new episodes. (for the record I don't know when the second half of TWD will be aired, im speaking in general.)

And a 6 episode "test run" is just stupid.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
The problem with that theory Brikar, is that there's such a long wait between the "testing" phase and the picked up season that a show doing that is bound up lose a lot of viewers who simply forget about it.
Cymro, I don't have a problem with 13 episode seasons. You're spot on with the quality issue. My issue is with the 6-12 months between seasons that networks seem to be getting more comfortable with. Even if they only aired every other week, it'd be preferable up waiting almost a year for new episodes. (for the record I don't know when the second half of TWD will be aired, im speaking in general.)

And a 6 episode "test run" is just stupid.
Whether it's stupid or not... it works. "Breaking Bad" is a hit for AMC (and has garnered numerous awards and acclaim), and now so is "Walking Dead." This model hasn't hurt AMC's other shows. The case can be made that long breaks between seasons has hurt other shows in the past, sure, but AMC seems to be able to buck that trend.

At this point, I'm not aware of AMC stating when the show would return, other than some vague implications of waiting until next Halloween to capitalize once more on matching the subject matter with the holiday. Maybe it'll return sooner, who knows. I would certainly love it to, but I can't fault AMC for going with a plan that's worked for them before.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
On a positive note, the latest episode was kick ass. *SPOILERS*

I thought for sure that Merle was gonna show up back at the camp, but the dead finally finding them was so much more satisfying.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Bean, can't you hook a keyboard up to your PS3? Or better yet get a web tv!

I'm also typing with my phone but only cause it's cold and i don't want to get out of bed!

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Yes Cymro I can. But it's inconvenient for two reasons. Firstly, my PS3 is at the end of my bed and the way it's setup it's a little difficult to sit there with a keyboard. Secondly, the browser on the PS3 is so ridiculously finicky that it freezes up at the drop of a hat requiring a reboot of the entire console. So I try not to use it at all. My phone is the only option left.

Brikar: I hadn't thought of that!! I'm not sure that's the way they're gonna go with it as in the comics the dead did find them eventually anyhow, but if they did change it up a bit that way it would be awesome.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
You could use a bluetooth keyboard with the PS3.
And if I had money for that I could probably get a cheap mobo for my pc. Also, that still wouldn't solved the craptacularly bad crash ratio with the PS3 browser.

So I gather you aren't homeless anymore?
No, I narrowly (and I mean down to the minute) avoided that scenario, but stay tuned, I just bought a grand worth of heating oil for my house so I may wind up back on the chopping block for rent in the next month or two.