...the FUCK?

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Aside from the fact that I seem to somehow be 100% unhirable, despite positive interview after positive interview...

...tonight my soul-sucking vampire job throws this curveball: For all color pictures printed in the paper, we must use .tif files. Now, the photographers give us their images as RGB .jpg files. Typically we convert them to CMYK, but leave them as .jpg images.

This has been how we've done it for years because .jpg is, frankly, more than fine for our needs. We're not going through generation after generation, saving and saving over and over again so often that .jpg compression will kill us. Tif files are huge by comparison and don't offer any kind of increase in quality since the images start out at .jpg and only go through one more save, really.

So, basically, this directive from above is absolute fucking nonsense. My boss who, many of you may be aware, is a complete twatwaffle gets into a shouting match in the office with one of my coworkers about it. I mean, seriously, two grown (one incredibly over-grown) men shouting about .jpg vs .tif!

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate this fucking job. I hate the building that it's in, with half the lights not working. I hate that no one there knows how to use a fucking computer. I hate that I had to explain to someone what it means to 'right-click' and how to create a document!

Most of all, I hate what it does to me. I hate that I come home every night completely drained from a job that requires no physical effort and barely any mental effort. I hate that I wake up in the morning and absolutely dread getting out of bed. I hate that I have zero motivation to do the things that I love. I hate that I'm jealous of my friends who all seem to be getting new jobs (four in the last two months!) who rave about how great things are for them now.

And I hate when people say, "It just takes time" or "You'll find something." Fuck you. Fuck your bland, patronizing optimism. Fuck it. Right in the face. :shooting:

Last edited:

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
I totally get it, I was there...well, a while ago! Working credit approval and hating every second of it.

Got to say it, though: it's true, it does get better! In my case, it meant going to the bush, becoming slightly crazy and working my ass off for pretty good money, albeit in a seasonal manner. Now I manage camps, could work most of the year (but I don't, and therefore enjoy the city and being lazy for a while) and now summer work will pay entirely for my return to Uni, and then some!

So yeah, it's not helping. But you'll get that great job too, one of those interviews will eventually pay off. Keep it up, and good luck!

(I have seen planters lose their shit in ways you can't imagine. Some quit, but most keep going, improve and get to move on to better things. A life without challenges, nor without standards by which to set the basic shit-level of tolerance, isn't worth much. At best it won't have the emotional lows, but won't come with highs either, hanging out in that bland zone right in the middle. Nobody just want to uneventfully ride through life...So yeah, hating your job might be depressing, at least it means you're not emotionally apathetic yet! Yay?)

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I'm not gonna patronize you Brikar.. as we're all aware I'm just coming out of a shitty couple of months that started with being completely apathetic to a job I had. It made me feel essentially the same way. I hated it.

Just do yourself a favor. Stick it out. The only thing worse than having a job you despise, is getting two months into joblessness, with bills racking up and no income and realizing "Hey, I could really use that job right now". It really puts things like this into perspective.

As for my new job, I lucked into it honestly. I have a friend who works at the same company and used to do my position. He heard they had an opening after my predecessor was fired. I just happened to get my resume in before they advertised the job. There's no secret to getting a job, there's no strategy except to wallpaper your area with applications and resumes. Go to every job interview expecting to get the job, and if you don't, get over it and move on (I know, easier said than done).

Just remember that at the end of the day, you HAVE a job. Whether you despise it or not, it's paying your bills. And you may be stuck there for another week, or another year, but it won't be forever. And just think ahead to how gratifying it will be once you do move on, to look back at it and say "Yeah, I made it through that shit, fuck them!".

And continue to rant all you want here, because I definitely understand what you're going through.

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
My unsolicited (and pander-free) two cents: batshit stupid work environments like what you describe really aren't worth the energy spent getting pissed and stressed over. I've been in a similar boat. I won't bore you with the minutiae, but I nearly burnt out over a thankless, stressful, and ultimately futile effort to make a difference. My health suffered. My blood pressure scared my doctor. Worse, it affected my family. Never again. Sure, I'll work hard at whatever job I have, but I will never get so personally invested in any job so as to let it really affect me. No job is worth that kind of price.

If you can find a way to take a mental step to the side and just watch the shit that goes on there, you might find that it's so stupid that you just won't care about the stupid, and wind up just collecting the paycheck until you do find another job that is better for you.

Or, you can tell me to fuck off. Whatever works, man.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Two weeks ago, I sent an email to my boss requesting Sunday, June 12 and Monday June 13 off for my birthday.

Today I get an email back: "I should have an answer for you Monday. Did you mean Sunday June 12 and Monday June 13?"

...THE FUCK?