"The Best of Both Worlds" Special Edition

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Frustrated by my inability to find a job :mad: , I took a couple evenings to do a quick project that I've had in the back of my mind for a while.

I've merged "The Best of Both Worlds" Parts 1 and 2 and select segments of "Family", "Q Who?" and DS9's "Emissary" into an epic 110-minute "movie".

The credits begin with a clip from the "First Contact" teaser trailer of the Borg-ified Star Trek symbol. After the credits is a five minute prologue segment of action sequences from "Q Who" to introduce the Borg and give some punch to the beginning of the movie.

After the prologue, the movie jumps "one year later", with Picard in civilian clothes arriving at his family home in France. After Robert tells Picard to make himself at home, we go back to the beginning of "Best of Both Worlds". The opening credits sequence is removed and act ins/outs are smoothed as much as possible. Instead of fading to black and "To Be Continued", we just keep going with the second part of "Best of Both Worlds". The recap and opening credits are removed from this part of the episode, as well.

After Data tells Riker "Starfleet has engaged the Borg at Wolf 359," we go into the Wolf 359 sequence from the pilot episode of Deep Space Nine. After Sisko tells the Bolian lieutenant to order an evacuation, we cut back to Riker's call from Admiral Hanson. We cut back to Sisko trying to save his wife and the Lieutenant forcing him out of the room and into the escape pod.

Just before we see the scene of Picard's assimilation being finalized, we cut to the scene from "Family" where Robert asks Picard, "What the devil happened to you up there?" and Picard storms out of the room.

We continue through "Best of Both Worlds" as we normally would until we come to the climax of the episode. After Locutus awakens and Data restrains him, we cut to the long zoom from "First Contact", only in reverse - we move through the Borg ship and zoom into Picard's eye and find ourselves in the scene from "Family" where Picard and Robert fight in the vines and Picard breaks down. Robert tells him he has to live with what the Borg have done to him, but he has a choice: to live with it under the sea with Louis, or "above the clouds, on the Enterprise". It is here where we segue back to Data's lab, and Picard breaks through Locutus to help Data.

As the Borg begin to slice up the Enterprise with their cutting beams, I've cut in various shots of destruction from "Generations" and "The Undiscovered Country" to punch up the desperate climax.

And finally, after Picard stares out his ready room window as the Enterprise heads for repairs, we go to the final scene from "Family", where Picard, now back in his Starfleet uniform, says goodbye to his family and walks back to town.

Is the final product perfect? No. These episodes weren't ever meant to be recut in such a fashion. So while it's not perfect, it is, however, perfectly adequate. As an added challenge, I reframed the entire thing to 1.78:1 Widescreen, and it looks pretty good. The widescreen really helps to give it that "movie feel" that it otherwise wouldn't have.

I'll post some screenshots later.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Brikar said:
I don't really know how to do that...

Well it’s very simple. Open your favorite BitTorrent client and do the magic trick:
file > create torrent
…..
That’s all? Well almost. All you need to do now is put in the tracker info nad tick some boxes. This can differ somewhat from client to client but it all comes down to the same thing.

uTorrent

1. File > Create new Torrent (or CTRL + N)
2. Select the files and or directories
3. Trackers: This is probably the hard part for most people. But it’s pretty easy, just put in one of the popular public trackers. You can use one or more trackers, but in general one is enough.
Here are some good trackers at the moment:
Put one of these in the tracker box
4. Do NOT tick the private torrent box (unless you’re using a private tracker)
5. Save the torrent and send it to your friends

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I'm tempted to redo the visual effects for this one, as well as my continuing work on "Final Frontier". The only problem is that I can't, for the life of me, find a decent Enterprise-D mesh. There are some excellent pictures, but the meshes aren't available. Good a good Borg cube, Excelsior-class for Admiral Hanson's ship, plenty of planets and two somewhat crappy Galaxy-Class 1701-D's.

But no GOOD 1701-D's.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I found a decent Enterprise-D mesh. It's not amazing, but it's decent. With the right lighting, I think I can get away with the majority of the shots that need to be done.

Here's the first one I cooked up; a rather basic shot of the ship at warp. I'm not happy with how the stretchy warp stars turned out. That will be changed.

Attachments

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
Perhaps you could ask Gabe Koerner if he could give you what you're looking for... I'm sure that he still has a model of the D that he did. Can't hurt, right?

BTW... the way you assembled the different parts of the eps & such sounds really intrguing. Let us know if/when you post the torrent of it.