something else

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
in addition to my web comic, my writing, my desire to re-edit "star trek v" and finding a job and all kinds of other madcap nonsense...

...i've been writing this graphic novel, and now i feel i'm ready to begin illustrating it. i've been searching for an art style and now that i have illustrator and i've been learning that and using it for my web comic, i decided to experiment further with it a little.

this is what i came up with. it's far from a final design, but there's a vigilante character - much like batman, without ANY of the theatrics. so no crazy costume or anything designed to instill fear in anyone. this guy is all about getting the job done quickly and without being seen - ever. very practical minded, so he'll have a backpack and a rain hood and all kinds of stuff. his 'costume' is entirely off-the shelf clothing, so he's a little boring, visually. i didn't even notice when i was drawing him that he was actually something i'd drawn years ago when storyboarding a student film project in college. weird. (we tried to make the mask by gluing sunglass lenses to a ski mask... it didn't really work out so well. but in the end, we got an A)

anyway, i want to come up with something a LITTLE more striking, but the gist of the character means he won't have some iconic superhero costume.

so here is a first draft sketch. drawn by hand, inked and 'painted' in illustrator cs4. though the design isn't final, i think the overall style may be. it won't be in color, either.

i've also included a logo concept.

thoughts?

Attachments

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
well i've begun drawing the first 'chapter' i guess i'll call it, of the twelve. got one page penciled so far. i hope to have some scans up soon. i've got more character sketches, as well... the vigilante's appearance has changed somewhat.

i added one of those tactical vests, and by god, i did three sketches before i realized i was just drawing someone in one of those stargate uniforms but with a mask. whoops.