So I've been working or fucking Free!

Gitch

Consultant Fellationist
Jan 1, 1970
God's own country merry England
Yesterday, our secretary received an email
"Can you just confirm that the grant that Gitch is on expired on the 7th of July and won't be renewed".

What the fuck?! I thought I was here until the end of this month?

Nope - it turns out that my last (paid) day was actually nearly 2 weeks ago.

I knew that I had signed a contract until this July. It never for one second occured to me that they had decided that it would end at the end of the first week of July.

Sons of fucking bitches! I can't believe it. My apartment is being rented until the end of August. I already knew that I had to pay for a month longer than my contract at work lasts. Providing I get another job that starts no later than the end of august, I can just about scrape through on credit cards and a loan from my parents. I am waiting to hear if I got a job I was interviewed for last week, but now I am effectively living with no wages for 7 weeks.

My first instinct of course was to just grab my laptop, say "fuck off" and head to then temping agency. But I can't really do that. I have experiments running over the next two weeks. These will finally complete my project and allow me to write up my research. If I go now, I just don't have enough data to write any papers - meaning the last 2 1/2 years will just be a hole in my resume as far as my career is concerned. There is a saying in science "publish or die" and I will be fucked in the long run.

There will be a meeting later in the week to discuss if we can possibly extend my grant, but I am not at all hopefull. So basically, I will be working 12 hours a day for 2 more weeks with no pay.

Fuckity, fuck, fuck!

I won't starve, my parents are great and will see to that. But I will be paying them back eventually - basically, I am subsidising my fucking research and getting myself into debt because of the stupid system that allows personnel to write fucking contracts for partial months.

Bastards.

Deslok

regruntled and reemployed
Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
Can you explain that it is vital to you to conclude your experiments and to allow you to finish them and continue on a limited basis at your normal rate of pay? It might behoove them to extend this offer in the name of science. Besides, it would reflect nicely on them if the data is of any great use some day. Here in the States, they might even have a legal claim on any monies made from any research.

Just my thoughts.

Gitch

Consultant Fellationist
Jan 1, 1970
God's own country merry England
Unfortunately, the research is *pure* research, so there is no forseable monetary value.

Regarding my not getting the job. I just phoned the interviewer for feedback. It seems that I aced the interview and that they were all set to give me it when "superwoman" (as she was described) came in. She has experience of a number of techniques directly relevant to their research and they had no choice.

That's fine with me. He was extremely insistant that there was nothing wrong with my interview technique and that I shouldn't change a thing in future interviews. He also promised me a beer if we both go to conference this year:D. He has also urged me to consider writing grants in the future for collaboration.

He then very kindly drew my attention to a recently advertised job by a mutual aquaintance. Even better, he has promised to ring the guy and sing my praises and recommend me for an interview! It is just past the deadline, but I can move fast and have already submitted an informal query.

With superwoman out of the running now - hopefully I stand a chance :p

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
Are these the esperiments you were chatting about trying to determine the relationship between the number of cock strokes and quantity of ejaculatory material