*sigh* yes...

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I'm gonna kick you in the nutsack if you abandon it after all this. I mean, my shuttle alone will elevate it above this: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbJ9pG6Sv0]YouTube - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - The Enhanced Re-edit - Test CGI Montage[/ame].

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
i don't intend on abandoning it. watching that on youtube is what made me want to finish it in the first place... i just need to get this computer going in order to do that, and i've had neither the time or the money this summer

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Take into account ST:TOS Remastered. Looks great in SD, often looks toy-like in HD.
You know, I was just looking at some shots on Foundation3D.com and couldn't help but think of this. There's this dude who's basically painstakingly studied the original TOS studio models and made a 400,000 poly copy, and after looking at his work, I can't help but think the TOS remastered stuff suffers from a lack of effort in some ways, cause as far as I know this dude's an amateur but just look at his stuff:

(click to enlarge)

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
It reminds me of Babylon 5.
Those shots or ST:Remastered?

The second image looks fantastic. The other two not so much.
See I like them all, but the second one is just special. The model itself is probably as good a replica as you could get, and I like the shot composition, he's done a good job of replicating the film grain and the softness of the original series.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
See I like them all, but the second one is just special. The model itself is probably as good a replica as you could get, and I like the shot composition, he's done a good job of replicating the film grain and the softness of the original series.
I was disappointed with the remastered effects. I understood the need to keep it in the same style as the series itself, but I can't help but wonder how good it would have looked if they had taken a more TNG or DS9 route with it. Done actual modern effects as opposed to trying to make it match the 60s style of the original effects.

The models are good to be sure, but the second one looks more "photo real" to me than the other ones. The first one accurately captures the original TOS feel, and the third one looks like something out of B5 as mentioned above.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I was disappointed with the remastered effects. I understood the need to keep it in the same style as the series itself, but I can't help but wonder how good it would have looked if they had taken a more TNG or DS9 route with it.
I actually disagree, I think some of the changes just look out of place, but more than anything they look like something I could make. Which is bad.

And I thought it'd be better if they'd gone all out and modernized them too, but then I saw just how conspicuous those changes were when mixed with the live action footage. If anything, I think they should have stuck closer to the source material, especially for lighting and camera angles.

The models
They're all the one model, with different lighting and camera angles.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Jason, I don't know if you're cool with downloading content or not, but if so you should check out a couple of the episodes. Despite my misgivings about the way they implemented the effects, it's still a good watch.

Space Goat

"It's a faaaake!"
Jan 1, 1970
Washington, D.C.
www.hypersyl.com
Jason, I don't know if you're cool with downloading content or not, but if so you should check out a couple of the episodes. Despite my misgivings about the way they implemented the effects, it's still a good watch.
A local TV station airs the episodes, but I've little interest in watching them. I think the quaint special effects are part of the original show's charm, so I'm content to view my DVD sets of the unchanged episodes.

I'm not one of those people who's angry about the re-dos; I'm just apathetic. :p

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
And I quote:

1. Mount LightWave3D 9.3.1 UB.dmg
2. Drag Lightwave3D 9 to Applications
3. Extract contents of Crack.sitx
4. Replace "Layout" to /Applications/LightWave3D 9/Layout.app/Contents/MacOS/Layout
5. Replace "Modeler" to /Applications/LightWave3D 9/Modeler.app/Contents/MacOS/Modeler
6. Enjoy!