*sigh* yes...

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
For some reason, I keep plugging along with this project... I can't seem to stop! It's an addiction!

The Enterprise at warp

The Great Barrier

The Enterprise in drydock

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I am trying to be a bit more organized with it this time. I've done storyboards and mapped out everything I'm going to be doing. A number of the ship shots are already done, and a lot of the edits have already been made to the movie (removing Scotty knocking himself out and so forth).

I'm going to be liberal with my estimate and say February, which is taking into account the fact that I still have to model the Rock Man and the Shuttlecraft and I still have to work every day and such. The bonus to that is that I now have a dual-layer DVD burner, so when it's finished, I can send you guys a copy to watch on your TVs instead of some horridly compressed .AVI file.

Closet Racist

Aug 2, 2004
Vortex 4.
Lovely work...Can you digitally compress Shatner's ass as well? And how about replacing that heavy metal Klingon captain, too? Possibly with what you shave off Shatner's bum...

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Rewatching it, Shatner wasn't all that heavy yet. You could certainly tell he was putting on the pounds, but he wasn't quite the porker he was in "Generations" and later.

Closet Racist

Aug 2, 2004
Vortex 4.
Brikar said:
Rewatching it, Shatner wasn't all that heavy yet. You could certainly tell he was putting on the pounds, but he wasn't quite the porker he was in "Generations" and later.
Just kidding! I don't hate ST:V, I just can't get past how totally shitty the SFX were. Worse than PROJECT: UFO or STARCRASH.

Last edited:

Deslok

regruntled and reemployed
Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
LOL

I remember seeing black & white pictures of Starcrash in Starlog magazine a long long time ago, and even in black & white, it looked shitty. To date, I've still never seen it, probably never will.

After Star Wars, there were so many forgettable sci-fi films that flooded the market. Starcrash was one of them.

Closet Racist

Aug 2, 2004
Vortex 4.
Yes, STARLOG would over-hype every stinking scifi or horror movie that was coming out: STARCRASH, SPACE RAIDERS, GALAXINA, ICE PIRATES, STARSHIP INVASIONS, etc....and make them all sound like big budget blockbusters that would forever change the face of the genre...

NX-47

Jan 13, 2006
Here, looking at you
I remember reading an aritcle about Battlestar Galactica: 2000, and how the chick in it (I don't recall her name) said that she thought that they were "sitting on top of a hit". I was optimistic until I heard that it was to air in the timeslot that mandated 'educational programming', and saw the first episode. Man, did it blow.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
What scene is that Brikar? You seem to have gone quite heavy on the colors. It reminds me more of a scene from Star Trek Armada, not one of the movies. Not that it isn't well done.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Ok, I remember that scene, and despite the screen cap of it you posted, it was pretty crappy IIRC. Still, there's something about seeing the big colorful backgrounds like yours that just doesn't seem to fit in with TOS movies for me. TOS always had the standard starscape as a backdrop. Very rarely did we see it as colorful as what you've presented. And when there was color, it was always very heavy on the blues and whites.

Like I said though, just some constructive criticism. It still looks really well done.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I'll think about it. I haven't done any shots with the shuttlecraft, so I'm still at a point where I can scrap the entire Nimbus III sequence without setting me back more than three or four shots.

But my main reasoning was that I wanted to differentiate the different worlds of the movie with different color schemes. Earth is done very standard - just the black backdrop and the stars, some blue light coming from the planet's atmosphere. The planet inside the Barrier is very blue. And Nimbus III I chose orange. I felt it gave it more of an alien feel to it, and that rather than just have it be a trick of the atmosphere or an orange star, it's light reflecting from orange space clouds surrounding the system. I've also subtly added red and blue light reflecting on the ships in the regular black background shots which I think really help fill the shots even though you can barely see it.

But other than Nimbus III, most of the shots are your standard black space with stars - save the shots inside the Barrier, which are lots of fluffy blue clouds and lightning. I'm still designing those, and I'm not quite happy with what I've come up with, but I think it'll come out looking pretty cool.

Last edited:

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
This is a possibility for inside the Barrier. Keep in mind that the background will be animated - flashes of light, moving clouds, etc. There will be some junk in the foreground, too.