Random TNG thoughts

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
@Cymro: I forgot about that yeah. Although if I recall correctly, it was actually more for the Doctor himself lol.

@Brikar: I think that's a pretty week argument. That's like saying nobody in the US knows what's in a Cuban cigar because they're illegal. And in TNG time frame, a molecular scan would appear to be pretty basic and readily available technology.

Jun 13, 2006
Being illegal and all, I figured that the Feds had the replicators programmed to reject the pattern if anyone tried it...though any of the top-flight computer/engineering geeks/drunks (Dax, O'Brien, Scotty) could probably get around it.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Ok, that all makes perfect sense. But Data's response based on those ideas doesn't. His response should have referenced the fact that it's illegal. Something along the line of "Unfortunately, our replicators are prohibited from replicating illegal products."

But he didn't, he alluded to the fact that they just don't know what it is.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I always assumed it was never programmed into the replicator, nor could it be.
This is pretty much what I meant. Considering Starfleet vessels were military vessels, it makes sense. And we've seen that people can get the real stuff, but it makes perfect sense to me that Starfleet replicators are never going to make it.

Jun 13, 2006
Now Quark's replicators, being on Bajoran territory, might well be a different story (and if not, Rom probably modified them anyway).

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
This is pretty much what I meant. Considering Starfleet vessels were military vessels, it makes sense. And we've seen that people can get the real stuff, but it makes perfect sense to me that Starfleet replicators are never going to make it.

And again, that make perfect sense. But if that were the case, Data's response should have been something along the lines of "That's illegal". Not "we can't do that".

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Now Quark's replicators, being on Bajoran territory, might well be a different story (and if not, Rom probably modified them anyway).
And that's actually an interesting concept to consider. Legally as far as we know, Quark would have been allowed to serve it. The question is, would the starfleet personnel be allowed to consume it?

Jun 13, 2006
This may have been a case of Data's over-literalness. If he said that they couldn't replicate the stuff because they didn't have the molecular structure, that might very well be true. I kinda doubt they'd have the file stored away anywhere.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Well, this brings up another interesting topic. Why is it illegal in the first place? I understand the idea of an embargo on Romulan products etc.. but if they replicate the stuff, it's not like the Romulans are getting anything out of it. And as to the effects of the stuff, we've seen that it's basically just really strong alcohol.

Somehow I doubt the Romulans would go to war because Federation was allowing people cheap knock offs of their product. (See: China and USA)

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Maybe they banned it due to an embargo and the way it was worded meant they couldn't legally produce it domestically either. Or perhaps when first discovered by Federation drinkers it was mistakenly believed to cause adverse health effects more severe than those associated with alcohol alone, sort of like Absinthe. In either case it could still be illegal due to there being little political motivation to legalise it.

Though realistically, it was probably just invented as a way of adding some colour to the aforementioned Kirk-McCoy scene. The idea that McCoy drinks seriously strong black market booze is a nice shade to add to the character, and the drink itself is sort of like the Federation equivalent to Cuban cigars in the US.

Jun 13, 2006
Well, this brings up another interesting topic. Why is it illegal in the first place? I understand the idea of an embargo on Romulan products etc.. but if they replicate the stuff, it's not like the Romulans are getting anything out of it. And as to the effects of the stuff, we've seen that it's basically just really strong alcohol.

Somehow I doubt the Romulans would go to war because Federation was allowing people cheap knock offs of their product. (See: China and USA)
I always figured that it was reputed to have some sort of weird psychological effects on non-Vulcanoid races (like Cym's Absinthe analogy), and was banned as such in the pre-replicator days. Later, there just wasn't much political motivation to change the law considering the tensions with the Empire. Kind of like that "French fries" kerfuffle a few years ago in the US Capitol.