Random TNG thoughts

Jun 13, 2006
No, this is when I was noticing the writers difficulties being consistent with a fairly simple premise throughout the series. I liked the episode, and I don't think that gripe detracts from it, but like the title of the thread says, these are just random thoughts that occur to me while I'm watching.
Eh, this is one of those non-issues to me. Not every human has the same physical or mental capabilities. We saw that some Betazoids have extremely strong mental powers (the guy in "Tin Man", for instance), so why shouldn't even some full-blooded Betazoids have less-strong powers? I know Deanna was explained as only being empathic because she was half-human, but that could also be the case because her mother seemed to have quite strong abilities.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I don't disagree with you, it's just something that stands out to me. Virtually every time they use Betazoid powers to support a plot, it seems more confused than the last. Take the Ferengi for example, first they could sense their thoughts, then they couldn't, then they could again.. It's just a sticking point for me as it continued throughout the series.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
I would like to see a version of TNG where the Troi character is edited out entirely. Her characterization is consistently weak and boring, and she was always my least favorite character, despite the existence of Wesley.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Maybe he was gay for Riker and didn't want to alienate him by using his powers too hard.

And you can't edit out Troi. Tasha dies in the first season and Crusher is absent for the second. You can't expect me to wank over Pulaski.

(Yes I'm drunk).

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I would like to see a version of TNG where the Troi character is edited out entirely. Her characterization is consistently weak and boring, and she was always my least favorite character, despite the existence of Wesley.
I can't argue with you there. Wesley was a flawed premise for a character, Troi was just a bland one.

On the other hand, I think one of the problems I'm facing when going back and doing these "mini-reviews" for lack or a better term, is that I'm judging the episodes against the rest of the series. And on that same note, I'm comparing the characters to each other. You just can't do that. As much as TNG was an ensemble show, the stand out actors/characters were Picard and Data.

Troi, Geordi and Dr. Crusher would have been fine if they hadn't tried to give them the spotlight once in a while. Worf... well he was overdone and consistently written with contradictory beliefs and actions.

Riker seemed to be the only cast member that was happy without the spotlight on him. There were Riker episodes to be sure, but it never seemed like Frakes had a problem being a supporting cast member as opposed to a lead.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
but it never seemed like Frakes had a problem being a supporting cast member as opposed to a lead.
Which strangely matches his character's situation. Mind you, BOBW was a Riker episode, so that probably makes up for it.

Worf was unique in that starting with "The Emissary", there was a rich vein of internal conflict for Worf between his Klingon beliefs and his Klingon side, that made him quite capable of carrying an episode despite being essentially a one-note character and Dorn not having much range (though he hit that one note perfectly). That's part of why I don't really mind Worf being contradicting himself. He was never really sure of what he believed, and a lot of the Worf stories were about him coming terms with the fact that maybe he does actually think humans have it right sometimes. Mind you they did over-do the Worf stories toward the later seasons.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I had this conversation with Prometheus over at TW recently, and he put it perfectly if I may paraphrase. Worfs loyalty has always been to himself. His loyalty to Starfleet, The Klingons, Alexander, the crew etc.. always played second fiddle to his own selfish wants.

You should go take a look at the conversation as Prom laid it out perfectly. Basically, the one character on the show who's entire premise is loyalty and honor, is the least honorable or loyal character on the show.

As to BOBW, the only thing in that episode that really bothered me was when Riker was giving his big speech in the briefing after naming Shelby first officer. It seemed out of place for him to take a big grandstanding moment while they were still in the middle of such a huge emergency. The rest of it though, was done flawlessly, and without making me feel like it was a "Riker episode".

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I had this conversation with Prometheus over at TW recently, and he put it perfectly if I may paraphrase. Worfs loyalty has always been to himself. His loyalty to Starfleet, The Klingons, Alexander, the crew etc.. always played second fiddle to his own selfish wants.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It may not have been what the writers were aiming for, but there's a reason why Gaius Baltar got so much screen time.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It may not have been what the writers were aiming for, but there's a reason why Gaius Baltar got so much screen time.
Yeah but that's not at all how Worf was framed as a character. Baltar was framed as that "ambiguous kinda character" Worf was presented as "solid as a rock". If that makes sense...

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I know what you're saying, and that's why I said it's not necessarily what the writers are aiming for. What I'm saying is that maybe it worked for the same reason, regardless of intent.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Ok, so I know I mentioned Measure of a Man but I'm gonna skip it for now, I'm having a pretty complicated week and it's a little too dry of an episode.

The Defector

Kinda cool seeing Patrick Stewart flex his Shakespearean muscles in the opening scene. Pretty sure the third guy in the group is on Game of Thrones now..

Not sure if Spiner is playing his "part" as Data would, or as he would. If it's as himself.. ugh.

LOL, knowing where this is going, I just got the relevance of this first bit about a king among the people to the rest of the show. 25 years, first time I got that.

First use of the Romulan scout model. Not a great ship, but the way they introduced it with the flyby and the Warbird decloaking and following quickly is probably the best use of the Warbird model they ever had on the show. (used it in Tin Man as well)

Back after the credits right into the chase scene again with the Warbird firing at the Scout while it dodges. Again, excellent model work for the series in general.

Enterprise intercepts the scout and extends their shields around it. Warbird advances on them... I know I keep saying it, but again, fantastic model work. The Warbird usually gets some pretty lame "static" shots with it sitting still which is a shame for such a great model.

Ok, minor quibble, but why didn't Jarok warn them not to board his ship because it was going to self destruct? He must have known that if Starfleet personnel were killed in that blast he would have had an even harder time getting them to trust him?

Crusher referring to the events of The Enemy and shoot Worf a dirty look, nice.

Jaroks amusement at Worf, another nice moment.

First glance of what we will find out later is a suicide pill. He's a Romulan defector... why the hell wasn't he searched?? It's not like it's well hidden.

Our first hint that Picard has a plan.. didn't see this coming the first time around. Kinda wish I could "forget" the reveal this time. It was awesome.

Have to admit, despite my previous issues with her, they actually used Troi really well in the interrogation scene.

Second hint at the big reveal...

You would think that this far along, Data would have figured out that it's not appropriate to sit at a table and blankly stare at someone across the room. (Particularly a Romulan)

Note about the Replicators and Romulan ale. Data says that they can't replicate it because they don't have the molecular structure, but Romulan ale was present in the Federation in Kirks time (See STVI). I think it's a result of the movie coming out after this, but it would have been nice if Data could have said that it was illegal in the Federation. Not so much their fault, just stuck out to me.

Ok, so following up on that... they can replicate on the holodeck, a specific part of Romulus so well that Jarok doesn't complain about it but expresses wonder, but they don't know anything about Romulan Ale? (And I am giving them the liberty of the movie being released later for this thought).

Ahhh, so you're actually admiral Jarok.. the first of several reveals I suppose. Picard gives him shit, I like it. It's real.

Jarok and Picard verbally sparring in the ready room. James Sloyan was a marvelous actor to pick for this part. (Yes, I had to look his name up) Picar and Jarok actually come off as plausible equals. Despite Jaroks rank and Patrick Stewarts acting cred.

I love the Custer reference, particularly Rikers response "May we have better luck" lol

And the Romulan trap is sprung, and Worf gives us our final hint to the big reveal.

I hate Tomalak. Not the way I'm supposed to. I hate the actor playing him. He always came off as a comical villain, as opposed to the treacherous Romulan he should have. Although I have to say, in this one instance, he "almost" fits the bill.

And the reveal! Love it still!

Jaroks last words on the bridge.. again, you can feel this guy act.

This isn't in my top 5 episodes, but it is a favourite. If for no other reason than it's as close to "flawless" as it gets with TNG. Meaning the few nitpicks I had about it were just that. Nitpicks. There was no overtly bad acting, or bad character use. The entire plot was perfectly plausible and logical, and the supporting facts had only minor issues that had there been bigger problems, I probably wouldn't have noticed.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Note about the Replicators and Romulan ale. Data says that they can't replicate it because they don't have the molecular structure, but Romulan ale was present in the Federation in Kirks time (See STVI). I think it's a result of the movie coming out after this, but it would have been nice if Data could have said that it was illegal in the Federation. Not so much their fault, just stuck out to me.
It was talked about in TWOK too. It was one of Kirk's birthday presents from McCoy.