Random TNG thoughts

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Not to infringe on Brikars reviews, I've been rewatching some episodes of TNG lately and had some random thoughts.

Brothers - When Data came to, why didn't he force the issue of what happened to the ship? I understand that he didn't remember what he did, but he still knew there was a dying child on board that was on a timetable. But he just let it go. What the hell?

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Galaxy's Child - Is Geordi REALLY that stupid and pathetic??? He's in love with a woman that he met a computer simulation of before he actually meets her...

Now in his defense she's hot, but still. Holy pathetic.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Galaxy's Child

I feel like nitpicking the shit out of this episode, even though I like it..

Why did Geordi take the warp core offline without not only asking permission, but not even TELLING anyone??? He just shut it down and assumed it would be ok.

Dr. Leah Brahms is presented as a bitch, but seriously, if you were in her place you'd be pissed off too. Geordi made a "copy" of her and for all she knew, he fucked the hell out of it. (I would have)

Troi annoys the hell out of me.

Geordi trying to explain the proper light setting so he can "set the mood". The computer is confused. Shouldn't the chief engineer realize that the computer needs more than "cozy" for a light setting? This is the guy that mocked someone for saying "please" to a replicator in a previous episode.

Levar Burton is capable, but far from the best actor on the show. I'm sure part of it is the writing, but it's not ALL the writing. And again, Geordi is a fucking tool when it comes to women.

"Please, call me Geordi." One of the most awkward lines I can remember in TNG.

So far the A story is pretty good. I like the idea of a creature that lives naturally in space. And the "killed the mother by accident" thing is good and right in line with Star Trek philosophy. Including Picard being clearly ashamed of doing it.

Brahms and Geordi in the Jeffries tube... Brahms starts to suspect that Geordi is a stalker, Geordi confirms it by acting as creepy as fuck.

Same scene, Brahms tells Geordi she's married. I actually enjoyed his pain here.. he set himself up for it so he deserved it.

Alien birth scene - Troi still really annoys the shit out of me.

Guinan telling Geordi he's being a tool - PRICELESS!

Creature starts following them... Troi: "It's imprinted on us, it thinks we're it's mother". HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THAT YOU STUPID TOOL???????

"It's feeding off the energy of the Enterprise like it would it's mother."
Again: HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THIS YOU STUPID TOOL???????

"Sir, is the apalachian "junior" to be it's official name?" I love Data....

Brahms discovers the holodeck program, Geordi says "It's not the way it looks". We all know that it really is. Yet somehow the scene turns to Geordi being the victim... wtf?

"I offered you friendship." OMG NO YOU DIDN"T!!! You assumed she was your dream girl and got pissed off when she wasn't!!!!

A story is still pretty good.

Brahms comes to Geordi with a solution, Geordi (and her) act like she owes him an apology.. wtf????

Baby's safe! Good ending to the A story.

Brahms apologizing to Geordi.... *facepalm*

Ok.. so I still like this episode, but Geordi is outright creepy when it comes to women.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Creature starts following them... Troi: "It's imprinted on us, it thinks we're it's mother". HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THAT YOU STUPID TOOL???????

"It's feeding off the energy of the Enterprise like it would it's mother."
Again: HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY KNOW THIS YOU STUPID TOOL???????
If it's Troi saying it, she can probably sense that the creature thinks the Enterprise is its mother. And the second quote isn't much of a stretch considering it's a newborn, and given Troi's first statement.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Yet at every other turn, she specifies how she can't sense specific thoughts or intentions. Just feelings

So basically what she's saying is that recognizing someone as your mother and feeding on it as you instinctively would is an emotion.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Geordi made a "copy" of her and for all she knew, he fucked the hell out of it. (I would have)
Let's be fair, if holodecks ever actually become reality, pretty much every remotely attractive woman on earth is going to have to get used to this idea.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2006
Yet at every other turn, she specifies how she can't sense specific thoughts or intentions. Just feelings

So basically what she's saying is that recognizing someone as your mother and feeding on it as you instinctively would is an emotion.
I don't think it's too far fetched that she could pick out a generic mother/child feeling, and what that feeling is directed at.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
@Cymro: No you're absolutely right. But when said woman discovers it with someone she has to work with, the fallout displayed in the episode is inevitable.

@Sam: I guess you and Brikar are more liberal with her abilities than I am. I'm basing it on things she's said in the past. There's a difference between "intention" and "emotion".

Jun 13, 2006
As far back as "Farpoint," she could sense the target of emotions, and I don't think it's that radical of an idea that "hungry" and "child loves mama" can register on that spectrum. The rest was probably some educated guesswork based on what they'd seen and what she could feel.

The writers had Troi's empathic powers all over the place as the story demanded, anyway.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Here's something I posted on Trekweb a few days ago about "The Enemy". Not so much a criticism as it is a question of Picards morality in dealing with the Romulans.

I watched this episode again last night and haven't seen it in quite some time. While Burton wasn't always the best actor on TNG, I did always love this episode. Geordi and the Romulan stranded and trying to get beyond their prejudice of each other to escape made for some excellent drama.

Upon my rewatching of the episode though, I did find myself wondering at Picards handling of the dying Romulan on the ship. A couple of points stood out to me that seemed very out of character for him.

I understand why Picard wouldn't leave the planet to return the dying crewman. Given a choice between rescuing his own officer, or risking that officers life to save a captured enemy agent it makes sense that he'd prioritize his own man. That being said, Picard had at least three options to accomplish both tasks.

1. He could have allowed the Romulan ship to enter Federation space. I know I know.. but think of how many times in Trek history a Federation crew has been faced with a similar need to enter enemy territory without permission etc.. Hell, think about the Kobayashi Maru test itself. It portrays the Klingons as merciless for not allowing the rescue of the Federation ship. In this case, Picard is taking a similarly merciless stance.

2. While I don't know if it would have been possible, if not the Warbird, why did Picard or Tomolak for that matter, never entertain the idea of sending a warp capable shuttle from either side. Enterprise gets to stay and rescue Geordi, Warbird doesn't violate the border, and the Romulan gets home in time to hopefully save his life.

3. Why didn't he order Worf to undergo the transfusion to save the Romulan? Here's the only one of these points I can't find even remotely justifiable.. Ordering his officer to participate in a medical procedure could be viewed as a horrible breach of privacy, or even a violation. But Picard himself said that as Captain he had to weight individuals against the greater good (Great allusion to The needs of the many.. btw). In this case, the greater good was the prevention of an outright war with their greatest foe. How is Worfs right to be a douchebag anywhere NEAR as important as billions of lives?

I understand the plot needed this to maintain the tension and the high stakes, but it really stood out to me as hypocritical given the amount of times we've seen the roles reversed.

Thoughts?

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The Drumhead

More random thoughts while as I'm watching it.

First thought, I actually enjoy this episode, and even Worfs interaction with the Klingon under suspicion of working for the Romulans doesn't bother me. (I'm rather sick of Worfs wishy washy loyalty/honor).

9 minutes into the episode and it's pretty obvious that Admiral Seti is as paranoid as a Republican in a mosque.

Admiral Seti's pronunciation of certain words is a little off putting. Her costumes annoy the hell out of me too (Although in fairness, we're supposed to hate her character.)

So her Betazoid adviser seems to only be an empath like Troi even thought it's not stated. (I know...) Just seems odd. Lwaxana can read specific thoughts, this guy can't.

Ok, so they find out that there was no sabotage, and the Admiral and her Betazoid tool continue to push the idea that there's a conspiracy.. This isn't really a complaint as again, we as the audience are supposed to hate these people. Just felt like pointing it out.

The guy that plays Crewman Tarsis, well done. When they confronted him about his Romulan heritage.. nicely done.

Worf is getting a power trip out of this.. bugs the shit out of me.

Picard confronting Worf.. sweet. Stewart is awesome.

Oh wow, it just occurred to me! Admiral Seti = Sarah Palin!

Mr Worf starts walking threateningly towards the Betazoid interrogator after he calls Worfs father a Romulan collaborator. First time I haven't been annoyed with Worf in weeks...

"Tell me Captain, have you completely recovered from your experience with the Borg?"
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!

Picard starts a speech, she loses her fucking mind, the Admiral from starfleet gets up and walks out. Swear to god, I wanted to yell How do you like THEM apples bitch!?

"But she, or someone like her, will always be with us. Waiting for the right climate in which to spread fear, in the name of righteousness." I get it now, she was a Republican! (On a serious note, this is one of the best current affairs commentaries TNG ever did, and it still holds poignant and true a quarter of a century later.)

Really good episode. I was starting to miss the TNG social commentaries.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
No, this is when I was noticing the writers difficulties being consistent with a fairly simple premise throughout the series. I liked the episode, and I don't think that gripe detracts from it, but like the title of the thread says, these are just random thoughts that occur to me while I'm watching.