Okuda on HD TNG

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
OKUDA LOG

To remedy the situation, CBS is painstakingly rescanning the original film negatives and reassembling the episodes in high definition. We’re frankly amazed at the amount of work it takes to do this, but we think the results are well worth it.

The studio is also biting the bullet and rebuilding all of the show’s visual effects, using the original film elements wherever possible. We’re proud to be working with CBS on this project, helping to preserve the artistry of the original production designers, cinematographers, visual effects creators, and everyone else who worked so hard on that show.
Can't wait.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Apparently some of the original film negatives can't be found. At the moment, it's a relatively minor 13-second section of one episode that's been announced. That footage will be up-rezzed from SD video masters. Hopefully it won't be a regular occurrence.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
"Rebuilding all of the show's visual effects"

Would someone a little more technically apt explain this to me. Does that mean replacing all the effects with newer ones ala TOS remastered?

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Not quite. For TOS, they had to re-do all the shots of the Enterprise etc. in CGI because the blue-screen technology of the time was rather primitive and would look shit in HD, and the film was pretty badly degraded, again mostly due to the technical limitations of the time.

When they made TNG, blue screen technology had improved immensely, as had the methods for preserving film. The only problem is that the compositing was done on low-res videotape. This means that they have a load of good, clean footage of the Enterprise-D model, and all the various alien ships etcetera, but the footage would be just the Enterprise on it's own with a blue screen behind it. So they'll be using these shots and mixing in other film footage of, say Romulan Warbirds, and phaser beams and so on to recreate the original effects, but this time it'll be done digitally in high resolution.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
The Enterprise model shots will likely look fantastic, and so, too, will the Warbirds and the Birds of Prey, but the one-off and stock models will probably look terrible and will likely have to be redone digitally. Let's face it, most of those looked pretty dull even in standard def.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
The only thing being redone digitally is stuff like phaser beams, images of planets in orbit (those were done digitally to begin with). Otherwise all the original model work is intact.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
The different sized birds of prey never really bothered me. The only time it got to me was the difference between ST3 and ST4. In 3, the BOP while not as large as the Enterprise, is still massive. It's a rival to the Enterprise at least.

In 4, it fits snugly inside a park, yet all the interior shots make it look even bigger than the original one in 3.

As to the model shots, I'm thrilled that they're keeping them. That was one thing I always loved about TNG, the models. As good as CGI is, it still hasn't progressed to the point where it hits the "realism" of well done models. Now if they want to redo all of the "stock ships" digitally I'd be happy with that, maybe even get a better variety in some cases instead of seeing that same stock ship used over and over again, flipped upside down, pieces added etc.. we all know which one I'm talking about.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I'm sure even that one will look nice in HD.
I'm sure it will, it's more the dozen or so reuses of the model throughout the series that I was talking about. I can understand there being a "common" type of ship, but they way overdid it with this particular one.

IIRC it was even used by races that they'd never encountered before, or there were references to it being "of unknown design" blah blah blah.. Despite the fact that we'd seen it a dozen times already.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
A budgetary limitation, of course. But it's one that's survived even into this day of 100% CGI - computer models are modified and reused all the time. Xindi ships were reused later in 'Enterprise,' ships built for the 'Firefly' TV series were modified to be part of the Reaver fleet in 'Serenity.' Kit-bashing is a long-standing and common practice.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
As I recall, that little pirate scout ship that Kruge blew up early in Star Trek III was used a shitload on TNG and early DS9, and then re-built in CGI and used in Voyager and late DS9