Metallica - "Death Magnetic"

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Metallica names new album "Death Magnetic" - Yahoo! News

Metallica names new album "Death Magnetic"

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Metallica's new album will be titled "Death Magnetic" and is expected in September. The news was revealed over the weekend via the band's Web site ( Metallica.com ).

No new material has been played live at the band's handful of recent shows, but British journalists have heard rough mixes of six untitled songs, several of which cross the seven-minute mark.

"Death Magnetic" (Warner Bros.) was produced by Rick Rubin and is the follow-up to 2003's "St. Anger," which has sold 1.76 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Following its Friday headlining slot at the Bonnaroo festival in Manchester, Tennessee, the band is taking a month off before hitting the European festival circuit through late July.
September. Can't wait.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Metallica.com

Track listing:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Broken, Beat & Scarred
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long
Cyanide
The Unforgiven III
The Judas Kiss
Suicide & Redemption
My Apocalypse

"The Unforgiven III"... ooooooookay? Ought to be interesting.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I've got it preordered, but I couldn't resist downloading...

This shit is awesome. It's hard and fast and fucking cool. And guitar solos! Yesss Kirk Hammett is back and kicking ass.

And I'm only on the third song. Heh.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
There are only 3 songs on this album shorter than 7 minutes, and of those three, only one is under 6.5 minutes.

I'll be posting stream of consciousness thoughts as time goes on.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Some of it is a real cool mix between the hard speedy thrash stuff from before "Metallica" and the catchy tunes of "Load" and "ReLoad". Track 5, "All Nightmare Long" is incredibly fast.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
"The Unforgiven III" doesn't sound much like the previous two "Unforgiven" songs. It's also the slowest song I've heard yet, though this solo is pretty rockin.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
"Suicide and Redemption" is a 10-minute instrumental. It's cool, but it has something I can't describe. Hammett's knocking it out of the park on this one, but the rest of it is... I dunno... I don't want to say "plain", but compared to say, "To Live is to Die" or "Orion", I'm not sure I'll be able to really remember it in the morning.

It sounds kind of like the heavy metal action movie scoring that's becoming popular these days, like "Iron Man".

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Well.

That was really fucking cool. "My Apocalypse" is a great way to end that album. It needs more listening to, at an earlier time of day so I can turn it way up, but color me extremely impressed.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
OMFG. I just downloaded it and first thing I listened to was Unforgiven III. The previous two incarnations of this song had the virtue of amazing guitar solos that you felt in your gut. This new one just fuckin blew me away. New favorite Metallica solo lol.