Me Joining a Facebook group is not going to stop child abuse

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
And neither is the Facebook group, or any of the associated charities, or the government. The latter two can REDUCE it, but the Facebook group certainly won't, so stop asking me to join, you fucking idiots.

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
Ok, sorry man. Won't do it again.

But will you join my petition to go back to the old facebook layout, or my group telling you how to get the application that tells you how to know who creeps your profile? All you have to do is join, invite ALL your friends, they must ALL join, and then, it will magically install itself. Why we don't have a wall on our group, but lots of advertisements? Hahaha...invite your friends and we'll tell you, but only when ALL of them will have joined!

Come on, it's super fun!

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
It does my nut in. I'm fine with groups like "Save our local Hospital", or more trivial things like "Let's get RATM to #1"; there's a good chance that it will help organise people to take action towards a goal that can actually be achieved in the near future (before these groups fizzle out). But groups on long standing issues like child abuse, crime, or climate change are completely pointless. Once someone joins the group they'll post something stupid like "I think they should just hang the bastards!", or something sickeningly naive like "We can put an end to it if we work together" on the wall, then forget about it. And to me it actually cheapens the issue, because people seem to be joining these groups to show off that they're against (bad thing), and that already goes without saying. I mean, do they think that they can do with Facebook what thousands of long-established organisations dedicated to these problems have failed to do over decades and even centuries?

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
I mean, do they think that they can do with Facebook what thousands of long-established organisations dedicated to these problems have failed to do over decades and even centuries?
Yes...no...wait...yes...errr...no. Yes, they might believe it, but no, they probably don't. Maybe, I think.

That's why I just join fan pages supporting a fellow tree-planter's dog.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
It's the same thing with breast cancer awareness. I can't not be aware of it, there are reminders everywhere. If the activist groups toned down their campaigns, they'd actually get noticed more because it'd be less ubiquitous.

But the people running these things are idiots, so nothing will change.