Let's talk 'bout hockey, eh?

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
Well, the season's starting tonight. Will be watching the Canadiens-Maple Leafs game and all I can say is...

Go Habs Go!

Also, do you guys now why Torontonians never play beer pong and flip cup drinking cames?

Cause all the Cups are in Montreal!

Yeah, I know...

Oh and for people a little green when it comes to hockey (particularly Habs-Leafs rivalry), here's a quick tutorial:

Then

Now

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Well, the season's starting tonight. Will be watching the Canadiens-Maple Leafs game and all I can say is...

Go Habs Go!
Oh you and Sirgets are gonna get along nicely.. he's a HUGE Toronto fan. Like, the biggest, most loyal Leafs fan I've ever known. His house is decked out in Leafs merchandise. He even has Leafs underwear.

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
Arsenal? FC...wow! Yeah, Cym, you definitely have a point there!

Besides, we forgive you if the "colonials" outsmarted you in sports entertainment...

Also, Habs win tonight!

I'm happy.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Your funny bean....GO HABS GO!!!!
You don't have to hide it buddy. We all know the truth, you were sitting there in your Maple Leafs underwear cheering your team on.

I went to visit him a while ago, he has it that bad for the Leafs that he wouldn't buy any sandwich meat unless it was produced by Maple Leaf.

That tainted meat incident had him in tears...

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
Dude, they have all the money they need, and there's really no other explanation for it. You think that players WANT to go play in Montreal? *snicker*
Dude!

Also Cym, the names origins you gave me (which I were aware of, thanks to a friend unhealthy relation ship with Premier League...) are making my point.

Montreal Canadiens are named after...the French Canadians, known back then simply as Canadiens, which were the original members of the club. The official name is Club de Hockey Canadien (Canadian Hockey Club)

As for some other names in the league, they are referring to a place characteristics or an old nickname, some don't make as much sense, like the Leafs, some are basic clothing references, like the Red or White Sox in baseball and some are referring to a traditional trade of the area surrounding the team, like the Edmonton Oilers. In the end, I like the various origins of naming a professional club and I just think you simply display cultural favoritism towards your own sports...

Sirgets

AKA SIRGETS
Jan 1, 1970
CANADA EH!
Dude, they have all the money they need, and there's really no other explanation for it. You think that players WANT to go play in Montreal? *snicker*
You could almost ask any player in the NHL if they would want to play for the most storied team in all of sports history!!!! and they would say yes but montreal cant always pay them what they want because they can make more money playing in the US market where they are payed in US dollars. Hence you have teams like New York and Detroit that can BUY all the players they want!!

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I like the various origins of naming a professional club and I just think you simply display cultural favoritism towards your own sports...
Well no, because my favourite sport is rugby and unfortunately a few years ago the WRU decided to make up new teams and give them stupid names. In fact, rugby as a whole has been going down hill, probably has something to do with it trying to fight for market share since it turned professional.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2006
Dude!

Also Cym, the names origins you gave me (which I were aware of, thanks to a friend unhealthy relation ship with Premier League...) are making my point.

Montreal Canadiens are named after...the French Canadians, known back then simply as Canadiens, which were the original members of the club. The official name is Club de Hockey Canadien (Canadian Hockey Club)

As for some other names in the league, they are referring to a place characteristics or an old nickname, some don't make as much sense, like the Leafs, some are basic clothing references, like the Red or White Sox in baseball and some are referring to a traditional trade of the area surrounding the team, like the Edmonton Oilers. In the end, I like the various origins of naming a professional club and I just think you simply display cultural favoritism towards your own sports...
Or, in the case of my favorite hockey team, the original franchise owner loved a song that contained the name of the city...so the whole thing became the name of the team. I like the rather off-the-wall approach to naming.

On that note...1-0! Suck that, Detroit - you actually have to play three periods!