I'm in a pissy ass mood

Jan 1, 1970
Columbus, Ohio
I know that...and outside of a few poor, deluded nations (like India) they all speak the American variant. :mallets:
Yeah... and this is why whenever you call a customer service number and get someone on the other end who is sitting in India, you can never understand a damn thing they're saying.

One time, I had a customer service rep in India on the phone whose accent was so thick, I actually had to tell him to put someone else on the phone because I couldn't understand a word of what he was saying.

*Fires a translating nuke at the Chase Bank Customer Service Center of India*

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
All English-speaking countries have their own spelling variations and unique vocabulary, so it's never really accurate to pin them to British or American standards. And when I say English-speaking countries, I include places like India where English is an important second language due to colonial ties.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
lol, I love hearing about how things come to a shutdown over 6 inches of snow. Seriously, keep the updates coming. It oughta keep me entertained all winter lol
That's only if it lasts all winter. Most years we hope for a white christmas in vain and end up getting a thin sheet of snow for a week in February, or even April. And it is funny, but we don't really have the infrastructure or know-how to cope with snow, so when there's a snow storm it fucks everything up, all the roads get clogged (a lot of people had to sleep in their cars Thursday night) and the country descends into chaos . Like I said, nobody here's ever heard of a winter tyre.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I went to visit a high school buddy down in Pennsylvania once, and it snowed about six inches and the place was freaking the fuck out like they'd never seen it before. I mean, we're not talking like, the desert here - it's Pennsylvania.

Jan 1, 1970
Columbus, Ohio
Cymro.... paralysied over 6 inches and people sleeping in their cars???? are you fucking serious??? That's just too funny! Geez! what would y'all do if you got hit with an ice storm? Start jumping off buildings thinking the end of the world is at hand?
Shit, around here NOTHING shuts down until a level 3 is called, and they don't call a level 3 until the snow is packed into you asshole.
Car incased in ice? Well, I guess you'd better get out the blowtorch and get your ass to work because we're only at a level 2.

Yeah, we only got a light dusting today. Rain/snow mix, so the little bit of snow we got had a nice thin layer of ice on top. The streets had a thin layer of ice too, but oh well. No need to call out the salt trucks yet.... we usually save those for later in the season when we get about 5 inches or more dumped on us.

*hurls winter TIRE at Cymro*
BTW.... around here, only people who can't drive in the first place runs out and puts wither tires on their cars.

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
Daxie, that might be true in the states, but it's the law to have winter tires in Quebec. And believe me, it's necessary. Despite you bragging about your snow proficiency to Cym, you guys don't get anything.

Winter tires are very useful when there's not only layers of snow, but black ice and other fucking hazards on the road, driving hundreds of K's to the next town cause you live in a huge, almost uninhabited country...

Jan 1, 1970
Columbus, Ohio
There are states here in the US where it's the law to have snow tires or chains, for the same reasons you have there, but her in Ohio, it's not a law, just an option. However there are laws in Ohio that if you do have snow tires, you can only use them between certian dates.

And I'm not bragging to Cymro, just making a statement of fact. I admit, I've gotten myself stuck spinning my tires more than once, wiggled my ass a few times, and even spun out (only once), but the fact is, freaking out over 6 inches is so laughable!

Shit, I love getting enough new-fallen snow and doing dounuts in a parking lot.... now that's some good ol' winter fun! :D

HEHE, just remembered a time when I was doing doughnuts after work in the parking lot. The next day when I went in, one of the security gaurds stopped me, asked if I had fun and told me good thing I didn't get caught by a supervisor. They saw it on camera.... woops.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I admit, I've gotten myself stuck spinning my tires more than once, wiggled my ass a few times, and even spun out (only once)
That's a weekly occurrence here Daxie. It's absolutely normal to be stuck on a regular basis. I spun out or went off the road 5 times last year. 3 landed me in snowbanks and 2 of them I stopped in the middle of the (thankfully empty) road. Again.. you know nothing of winter driving conditions. ;)

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
what would y'all do if you got hit with an ice storm?
It'd help me answer that question if I knew what an Ice storm was.

Cymro.... paralysied over 6 inches and people sleeping in their cars????
Ye, see what happens is you have busy arterial roads around London where traffic barely moves on a normal day, you add some unexpected heavy snowfall, numerous breakdowns and jackknifed lorries, people who've never driven through snow before and you've got a situation where there's no way for cars to move. People weren't "freaking out", there wasn't much else they could do because the roads were blocked.

It's also important to understand just how rare real snowfall here is, I mean we're on the same latitude as Scandinavia, much of Russia an Canada, but we don't get anything.

Update: The Eurostar train service through the channel tunnel to France has been shut down after 5 trains broke down and stranded thousands of people in a 25 mile underwater tunnel for several hours.

Last edited:

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
It'd help me answer that question if I knew what an Ice storm was.
Basically it's when you get a day or two of freezing rain or just rain, everything starts to melt, then you get a day of really cold temperatures and all the water that's accumulated freezes. It leaves everything coated in a thick layer of ice. Trees fall, power lines snap, roads become as dangerous as they can get. It's really pretty nasty. Worse than a snowstorm by far.

Update: The Eurostar train service through the channel tunnel to France has been shut down after 5 trains broke down and stranded thousands of people in a 25 mile underwater tunnel for several hours.
I'd lose my mind, being claustrophobic and all...

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Basically it's when you get a day or two of freezing rain or just rain, everything starts to melt, then you get a day of really cold temperatures and all the water that's accumulated freezes. It leaves everything coated in a thick layer of ice.
Yeah, I can't see that happening. Temps don't go down below -10 so you only get thin ice (though with our climate there's plenty of it). I've never seen a frozen lake here. We do, however get plenty of floods nowadays.

And BTW, they had trees and power lines falling over in South East England on Thursday, it left several thousand homes without power and contributed to the problems with the transport system.

I'd lose my mind, being claustrophobic and all...
Plus they had no air conditioning and ran out of food and water. But on the plus side, the Chunnel trains should be fairly roomy because they use them to take cars and freight over to the continent. But because of these closures, there are HUGE lines of lorries parked on the side of the motorways in Kent because they're waiting to unload freight onto the trains.

Oh, and my cousin who lives in Baltimore is stranded in New York because his flight got cancelled (due to weather conditions on both ends).

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
And BTW, they had trees and power lines falling over in South East England on Thursday, it left several thousand homes without power and contributed to the problems with the transport system.
Oh I believe you, I wasn't suggesting that these things don't happen anywhere else. Just answering your question as to what an ice storm is.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Yeah I know, I'm just pointing out that the problems here aren't just because people are afraid of driving in the snow; the storms have caused real problems with our infrastructure.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
Yeah, I can't see that happening. Temps don't go down below -10 so you only get thin ice (though with our climate there's plenty of it).
They usually happen right around freezing, 30-32 degrees, especially when cold air is subducted under a warm storm front and all that rain turns into slushy goopy shit on the way down. Cincinnati's right on the typical rain/snow line, so we usually get one or two a year, even when Daxie, only an hour and a half northeast of us, gets several inches of snowfall. The worst is when power lines and tree limbs are encased in a half-inch or more of ice, that's when people (especially children) start getting killed by falling tree limbs.

It really is quite beautiful, though.