Farscape review thread

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
1x10 "They've Got A Secret" - An explosion aboard Moya nearly kills Dargo, sending him into some sort of hallucinatory flashback. Meanwhile, the ship begins to react to the crew in increasingly dangerous ways. This was a pretty good episode. It gives us insight into Dargo's backstory without actually resorting to flashbacks, and the reason behind Moya's strange behavior is a cool twist. I liked this one more than the last couple episodes.

1x11 "Till the Blood Runs Clear" - Crichton discovers how to recreate the wormhole accident that brought him to the Uncharted Territories, but his ship is damaged and requires repairs before solar flares calm down and he loses his chance to study the effects. This is another decent episode, but parts of it are a little random. Zhaan has orgasms when the light from the solar flares hits her, and then later the flares temporarily blind Aeryn... but it happens basically right before the climax, so it feels entirely tacked on.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
1x12 "Rhapsody in Blue" - Zhaan discovers a colony of Delvians who ask her to sacrifice part of her soul in order to retake their world from the Peacekeepers. This episode is a bit weird, with lots of odd talk about souls and being driven mad by 'dark impulses'. The Delvians are also capable of altering peoples' memories telepathically, which is a far more interesting aspect to this episode than the main plot.

1x13 "The Flax" - Aeryn and Crichton are trapped aboard a disabled shuttle in some kind of energy field. Dargo enlists the help of a local scoundrel to help find them while Rygel and Zhaan distract hunters on the trail of the scoundrel. This one feels like a very 'Star Trek' episode in its setup and plot progression. The best part is the end, which hints clearly at a future relationship for Aeryn and Crichton. The ending is also totally hilarious.

1x14 "Jeremiah Crichton" - Crichton is stranded on an idyllic world where technology doesn't work. As the months past, he finds a local village's princess is falling in love with him, causing a power struggle. When Dargo and Rygel finally locate him, the villagers believe Rygel to be their prophesied savior. This is another episode that feels very familiar, even down to the happy ending where the villagers make peace with Moya's crew. The beginning of it feels a little awkward, with Crichton pissed off at the crew and throwing a tantrum.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com

The best part is the end, which hints clearly at a future relationship for Aeryn and Crichton.

Now, I've seen a lot of foreshadowing in a lot of tv series, but none of them have been as understated as the foreshadowing you're mentioning here. I'm not going to spoil it for you, but needless to say, what you're pointing out here has SIGNIFICANT repercussions later on.

It's odd, reading your reviews, I'm actually excited for you, and a little bit jealous that you're experiencing this for the first time lol

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Now, I've seen a lot of foreshadowing in a lot of tv series, but none of them have been as understated as the foreshadowing you're mentioning here.
Really? It feels like they're beating me over the head with JOHN AND AERYN ARE TOTALLY GONNA FALL IN LUUUUUUURVE!!!!!11!!1!!!!ONE!!!! He's always throwing himself on top of her for one reason or another.

I don't dislike it. The only problem is it seems like each time someone else steps into the picture for either one of them, I get aggravated because it's NOT where the show is obviously headed.

1x15 "Durka Returns" - After colliding with another ship, Moya's crew takes on new passengers - Chiana, an alien prisoner, an alien policeman and Durka, the man who tortured Rygel years earlier (and whose corpse Rygel thought he found on the wrecked Peacekeeper ship in "PK Tech Girl"). A decent, if predictable episode. For a ship on the run, Moya seems to regularly allow all sorts of strange people to come aboard. Chiana is a nifty addition to the cast, though. Oh, and I couldn't stop thinking of the phrase "durka durka mohammed jihad" from "Team America: World Police."

1x16 "A Human Reaction" - Crichton finds a wormhole that leads him back to Earth. At first, things seem ok, but when Aeryn, Rygel and Dargo follow him through, they're captured and mistreated by the military. Crichton slowly begins to realize that things are not at all what they seem. I liked this episode. It's well made, and the ultimate reasoning behind what's going on is a bit different. I mostly expected it to be some kind of Peacekeeper mind-sifter or something designed to get info out of Crichton, so I was glad it went a different direction.

Also, Crichton and Aeryn fuck.

1x17 "Through the Looking Glass" - Attempting to starburst, Moya tears a hole in the fabric of space and splits herself into four separate dimensions. The crew must figure out a way to put her back together while some kind of alien force seems to be trying to break into the ship. This is another really cool episode, with some clever ideas. It reminded me a lot of a "Voyager" episode where the ship is broken into different time zones, except I think this one comes across as more cohesive and less fan wank-y. I liked that each of the dimensions had different effects on different crewmembers.

1x18 "A Bug's Life" - A group of Peacekeepers commandeers Moya on some kind of secret mission to stop an intelligent virus that can control a person's body. This episode is a fairly typical paranoia story, with no one sure who they can trust and yada yada yada. It's alright, but it's been done a zillion times before.

1x19 "Nerve" (Part 1) - Aeryn's wound suffered at the end of "A Bug's Life" will kill her within several days unless Crichton can infiltrate a Peacekeeper base and obtain a compatible tissue graft. This episode brings back Crichton's Peacekeeper love interest from "PK Tech Girl", Gilena, and also introduces Scorpius (who is AWESOME) and semi-crazy prisoner Stark. Very cool episode, I liked this one a lot.

1x20 "The Hidden Memory" (Part 2) - Moya goes into labor while Crichton and Chiana are stuck on the Peacekeeper base, and Aeryn's condition worsens. Scorpius uses a Peacekeeper torture device to sift through Crichton's brain and Crais arrives to collect Crichton. These two episodes are pretty heavy on the "does John love Aeryn"? In fact, it's a question voiced out loud more than once. This episode, for all the world, feels like a season finale. I'm almost confused by the fact that there are two more after it, it seems weird. It's easily the biggest episode of the season so far.

Last edited:

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
1x21 "Born to Be Wild" - While hiding in an asteroid field from Crais and Scorpius, the crew receives a distress signal. They find an asteroid with a habitable interior and meet a young woman who claims to be chased by a crazy beast. But the beastly creature also claims the supposedly harmless young woman is the dangerous one. Who to trust? I didn't really care for this episode. The ongoing storyline is relegated to a subplot while Crichton, Zhaan and Dargo dick around on this asteroid and deal with sentient plants (and revelations that Zhaan is, in fact, herself a sentient plant). It tries to have some shocking twists, but it just gets annoying about halfway through.

1x22 "Family Ties" - Crais defects from the Peacekeepers after Scorpius usurps his control of the command ship. John and Dargo concoct a dangerous plan to lure Scorpius away from Moya and Talyn so they can starburst to safety. Y'know, this episode has some nice emotional moments for the crew, but honestly I think it's a bit of a letdown in terms of being a season finale. I think "The Hidden Memory" would have been a better place to end on, leaving this episode to open Season 2 rather than close Season 1. It was weird to see Crais sitting at the dinner table with the gang, and his ultimate betrayal of them is somewhat unsurprising. Scorpius continues to be my favorite of any villain introduced this season, his smooth patience a total mirror image of Crais' hot-headed impulsiveness. They're like an evil Spock and McCoy... awesome.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Scorpius continues to be my favorite of any villain introduced this season

Scorpius is an amazing character.

I've twice re-written my post now, I had an entire paragraph in response but then realized that even the most minor of hints I was giving you would completely ruin some very emotional surprises/revelations etc..

lol. So, suffice it to say, glad you're enjoying the series. It only gets better :)

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Yeah, I'm quite tempted to give this a go too, since I've finally gotten around to finishing SG-1.

I'm unsure whether or not I should try finishing Atlantis, which I stopped watching after season 2...

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I'm unsure whether or not I should try finishing Atlantis, which I stopped watching after season 2...
Honestly, "Atlantis" never got any better than its first season. Once they introduced the Replicators it just got even worse, and the constant cast changes didn't help, either. I like "Universe" a lot better, but, sadly that's coming to an end far sooner.

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Honestly, "Atlantis" never got any better than its first season. Once they introduced the Replicators it just got even worse, and the constant cast changes didn't help, either. I like "Universe" a lot better, but, sadly that's coming to an end far sooner.
The thing that sticks out to me when I think about Atlantis is how weak the main cast was. Whether that was the actors, the writing or both I'm not sure, but it was a huge problem considering it was largely derived from SG-1's formula - which was heavily dependent on the interactions of the main cast.

I was thinking about that a lot when I was watching the final two seasons of SG-1, because despite there only being a year between the beginning of Atlantis and the major cast changes on SG-1, SG-1's new cast members fit in perfectly and actually rejuvenated the show. I don't know how they could screw it up so badly for Atlantis.

But I'd at least like to see how it ends.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
You could probably just skip to the last episode. It doesn't build from or resolve any long-running storylines.

I also decided to keep 'Farscape' going in this thread instead of starting a new one for each season. The second season episodes are also presented hilariously out of order on Netflix, with the season premiere listed third. I'll try my best. Stupid.

Here goes:

2x01 "Mind the Baby" - While Scorpius tries to draw Crichton and the others out of hiding, Aeryn strikes a dangerous deal with Crais regarding Moya's baby. This is a decent enough resolution to the first season cliffhanger, but there's nothing particularly surprising about any of it. I still can't help but think that "Nerve" and "The Hidden Memory" would have been more effective in this regard, and these episodes could have opened season two. But oh well.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x02 "Vitas Mortis" - D'Argo particpates in a Luxon ritual that restores an old woman to a younger age. Unfortunately, this begins to sap the life out of Moya, artificially aging her toward death. Honestly, I didn't care much for this episode. Everything about it seemed kind of forced, and I'm not really sure what the point of any of it was. There's some decent acting from Simcoe as D'Argo, but otherwise this one was pretty meh.

2x03 "Taking the Stone" - Chiana decides to participate in a ritual that involves jumping into an underground pit, possibly to her doom, after the death of her brother (or something). This episode was a lot like the previous one, with Crichton barging in on some kind of alien ritual, ostensibly out of caring for his friends. Like the last episode, I didn't think it was anything all that special, though there's a nice scene at the end between Crichton and Chiana bonding. A subplot with Rygel thinking trinkets he stole from a royal graveyard are cursed is played for laughs, but is only marginally funny.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Crichton kind of becomes unhinged in those episodes. It kind of bugged me...despite the positive endings on both...that no one would stop him from imposing his beliefs on alien cultures.

Not quite the human ideal from Star Trek. :)

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x04 "Crackers Don't Matter" - The crew hire a mechanic who claims he can make Moya invisible to Peacekeeper sensors. Meanwhile, Chiana returns from a commerce planet with a whole lot of ... crackers. Soon after, the crew begins to exhibit strange, paranoid behavior. I liked this episode a lot more than the previous two. Watching the crew slowly go insane was fun, even if a lot of it was kind of predictable. Crichton gets to go batshit insane by the end, which is great, especially the costume he's made to wear. And his hallucination of Scorpius in a hideous Hawaiian shirt and insisting on doing Margarita shooters is a frickin' riot.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Oh man... I really want to spoil it for you lol. Remember the name Harvey. That's all I'm saying lol.
I sort of vaguely recall "Harvey" from an episode I saw years ago where I think he was dressed as Albert Einstein.

2x05 "The Way We Weren't" - Chiana discovers video footage of Aeryn and a squad of Peacekeepers murdering Moya's original Pilot. When the current Pilot sees it, he flies into a rage and disconnects himself from Moya, putting the entire crew at risk unless Aeryn decides to leave and never return. This is probably my favorite episode of the season so far. It's really well made, the performances are great (especially from Lani Tapu as the voice of Pilot) and a great look at the remorse Aeryn is feeling regarding the things she used to do simply because it was her duty.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x06 "Picture If You Will" - Chiana finds a picture frame that appears to predict the future - specifically, her own demise. Not long after, the frame begins to show the deaths of the other members of Moya's crew, as well. This episode was alright, there's nothing really wrong with it save the prop for the picture frame itself, which came off as kind of cheap and lame. But it's a decently written return for season one villain Maldis. It also lays on the "D'Argo wants Chiana" kinda thick.

2x07 "Home on the Remains" - Moya has run out of food, and the crew is starving. Their only hope is to visit a mining colony where Chiana used to have friends that she screwed over at one point. No sooner do they arrive than do they discover that Zhaan will soon die if she doesn't get meat, and has infected Moya with spores that may kill the Leviathan if they can't get rid of them. This episode was just too messy, with too many subplots going on, honestly. It fully admits that D'Argo is in love with Chiana, which is a nice leap forward for that character, but the rest of the script is just too stuffed full of things to really allow that idea to breathe. But it has some nice effects work and some really hilarious moments with Crichton and Rygel.

2x08 "Dream a Little Dream" - Stuck on a malfunctioning transport pod, Zhaan recounts the days between the season one finale and season two premiere where she was arrested and charged with murder on a world where 90 percent of the population are lawyers. This episode is pretty pointless. There really aren't any important revelations made, nor are Zhaan and Crichton in any danger in the present day, so the whole episode is kind of a wash. It would have been better served (and likely more entertaining) if they spent their time making up stories for each other instead of dealing with tepid flashbacks to lawyer world. The end of the episode features a nice moment for Crichton and Zhaan, but the rest of it is totally 'meh'.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x09 "Out of Their Minds" - Moya is attacked by an alien ship whose weaponry causes a strange effect - it switches the crew's minds! Now they must figure out how to get their minds back in the correct bodies before the aliens can recharge their weapons to destroy Moya. This episode is really light and silly, which is great. The cast is clearly having fun impersonating each other, even if for the most part it's just that - impersonations, rather than truly attempting to BE that character. Gigi Edgley does an excellent job mimicking Lani Tapu's vocal inflections for pilot, while Anthony Simcoe does a great Chiana. Claudia Black's best scene involves Crichton having fun with Aeryn's body, and Browder's is when Rygel needs to pee. The design and puppetry work on the alien villains is also pretty cool. Very fun episode, all around.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x10 "My Three Crichtons" - A strange ball of energy engulfs Crichton and then spits him out along with a neanderthal version and a super-evolved version, then begins to attempt to suck the ship into another dimension while the crew scrambles to dislodge it from within Moya. This episode was alright. It gives Ben Browder a way to try out a couple different things with Crichton, though the alternate versions are pretty thinly scripted. The ultimate resolution was a little too predictable and neat for my tastes, but overall this was another fun episode. I have no real complaints, but not much special praise, either.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
2x08 "Dream a Little Dream" - Stuck on a malfunctioning transport pod, Zhaan recounts the days between the season one finale and season two premiere where she was arrested and charged with murder on a world where 90 percent of the population are lawyers. This episode is pretty pointless. There really aren't any important revelations made, nor are Zhaan and Crichton in any danger in the present day, so the whole episode is kind of a wash. It would have been better served (and likely more entertaining) if they spent their time making up stories for each other instead of dealing with tepid flashbacks to lawyer world. The end of the episode features a nice moment for Crichton and Zhaan, but the rest of it is totally 'meh'.
I really hated this episode. One of the very few problems I had with Farscape was Zhaan. She never really worked for me as a character. In fact she annoyed me more often than not. I had a hard time deciding on what it was that bothered me in the show until I saw this episode for the first time.

The thing about the episode that really bugs me, is that it seems like one of those forced stories where the actor starts whining that he/she didn't get enough screen time, or enough development so TPTB shoe horn in an episode to shut the actor up. For the record I have absolutely no information that would confirm any of that in this particular case, and I've never really heard anything about the actor her portrays Zhaan. It's just that the episode has that feel to it.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I can't argue with anything you've said. Zhaan is often inconsistently portrayed - peaceful at one time, wild and nearly out of control at others, in seemingly similar circumstances. I don't know anything about the actress wanting more screentime, but I do know that she began to suffer health issues because of her extensive makeup, which lead to her costume changes for season two.