DS9 HD discussion

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I'm sick of using the shoutbox for long dicussions, so:

Bean said:
I would imagine if the TNG Blu Rays end up raking in the cash, DS9 isn't too far behind.
Sam Cogley said:
DS9 is going to take a lot more work (on the order of TOS remastered), with all of those low-res kitbashes and 480i CGI shots...
DS9 would be nearly as much work as TOS and TNG combined. Remember that TOS benefited from being edited the old fashioned way by cutting and splicing film, so when they did the remasters all they had to do was scan in the original master reel for the episode, do some digital clean up and edit in the new CG effects.

TNG, DS9 and VOY were all shot on film, but were edited together on low-res videotape, meaning there is no master film reels for the episodes. So the people who are remastering TNG are having to go back to the Paramount archives to find the original film reels from the cameras, sort through multiple takes to find the one that was used in the final episode, scan it in, re-composite any VFX or blue screen work, and then edit the whole episode again. They will also need to re-do the limited amounts of CGI that were featured in TNG

For DS9 they would have to do everything they're doing for TNG, but with effects shots that were far greater in scope than anything on TOS or TNG, and much more of it originally done in CGI, necessitating much more brand new CGI. Voyager would probably be slightly more difficult again, due to more use of CGI from the outset.

This is also why shows like Buffy, Angel or SG-1 probably won't be getting a Blu-Ray release any time soon. Though it would be cool if they packed the whole series onto one Blu Ray disc in SD.

Last edited:

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I have to admit that I have a deep desire for TNG on blu-ray, and I'm going to purchase every season (yes, every) ... but god I would kill whole groups of nuns and orphans for DS9.

But it's not even that I think they won't do it because it's too much work... I think they won't do it because it's too much work for a series that had only a fraction of the viewership of TNG. :/

But as huge and iconic as TNG is, DS9 is really on a different level. Beyond all the talk about the special effects which, as you mentioned, are of a different scope... the show's artistic direction was fantastic. There were so many detailed, incredible sets. The DS9 station itself is sort of ugly and beautiful at the same time, with lots of really awesome nooks and crannies and cool design work all over the place, and with far more dramatic and interesting lighting schemes than we ever saw on the Enterprise.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I have to admit that I have a deep desire for TNG on blu-ray, and I'm going to purchase every season (yes, every) ... but god I would kill whole groups of nuns and orphans for DS9.

But it's not even that I think they won't do it because it's too much work... I think they won't do it because it's too much work for a series that had only a fraction of the viewership of TNG. :/

But as huge and iconic as TNG is, DS9 is really on a different level. Beyond all the talk about the special effects which, as you mentioned, are of a different scope... the show's artistic direction was fantastic. There were so many detailed, incredible sets. The DS9 station itself is sort of ugly and beautiful at the same time, with lots of really awesome nooks and crannies and cool design work all over the place, and with far more dramatic and interesting lighting schemes than we ever saw on the Enterprise.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I mentioned this to Brikar when he first posted the news about TNG on his facebook. This is the only DVD set I've ever actually been truly excited for, and like him, I intend on buying every single season. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who has NEVER purchased a single season of any tv show. Ever.

DS9... I'm not sure. I think I'd buy the later seasons from 4 on, when the Dominion story line started up, but I really wasn't a huge fan of earlier episodes. I'm not saying they weren't fantastic (they were for the most part) but they just don't hold the interest for me that TNG does, and I think that mentality will be the biggest stumbling block for an H release of the series.

That being said, the type of people that watched DS9 religiously, the hardcore DS9 fans, are also the type of people who will shell out dollar after dollar on DVD sets. So I suppose it's possible that a DS9 release could make up for the smaller target audience by the fact that a higher percentage of that audience are likely to purchase the sets. Obviously I don't have any hard numbers or facts to back up that assumption, but it seems fairly sound logic.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I have bought box sets before, but not trek due to the higher price point. But this I will be buying (also my first blue ray purchase), though I'm iffy about season 1. DS9 I would have no problem buying in its entirety.