Deep Space Nine: Holy Shit

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x01 "The Search, Part I" - Sisko takes his new warship, the Defiant, into the Gamma Quadrant to seek out the Founders of the Dominion in order to avert a war. Big changes here... the arrival of the Defiant gives DS9 the teeth it formerly lacked, Odo finally finds his people... and everyone gets the nifty new 'Generations'-style commbadges. This is a solid episode, but I really only have one problem with it - the battle against the Jem'Hadar features some nice special effects, but aboard the ship it's almost painful to watch. The ship is nearly blowing apart, but the crew is spouting awkwardly long lines of technical dialogue. It really needed to be streamlined, because it just pulls me right out of the action.

3x02 "The Search, Part II" - While Odo learns about his changeling abilities, Sisko and the others realize they may have to sacrifice everything to stop the Dominion from gaining a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant and avert a war. This episode is somewhat slower paced than the first part, but no less intriguing. The ultimate twist is a little unfulfilling considering how well the drama is building, but at the same time I recognize that it was sort of necessary... especially since I don't think I could ever accept Garak's death in such a fashion. Regardless, this is a fine episode.

3x03 "The House of Quark" - When Quark accidentally kills a drunken Klingon in self-defense, he finds himself embroiled in a plot to destroy a prominent family of the Empire. I find this one pretty humorous. The scene where Quark tries to explain how D'Ghor has been stealing from Kozak's house, and Gowron's disdain for "money" are pretty hilarious. This is a fairly light-hearted episode to follow on the two-part opener that got fairly dour at times.

3x04 "Equilibrium" - Repressed memories begin to cause serious damage to Dax, but Sisko discovers that the Trill government may let Dax die in order to keep a dangerous secret. I like this episode; it's another good look into the lives of Dax, while also presenting a nice mystery. Dax's nightmares are pretty well-directed, especially the strange figures with multiple masked faces.

3x05 "Second Skin" - Kira is kidnapped by Cardassians who try to convince her she's actually an undercover agent and the daughter of a powerful military leader. This is a great episode. Nana Visitor puts in a great performance (the scene where she cries and smashes the mirror is excellent), and the storyline is well-conceived. It's always great when Garak gets to show off his spy skills.

3x06 "The Abandoned" - A Jem'Hadar infant is found in a debris field, and Odo attempts to raise the young man to ignore his violent impulses and embrace a life of peace. This is an alright episode, there's just nothing very surprising about it. It feels very by the numbers, and doesn't really take any chances.

3x07 "Civil Defense" - When O'Brien accidentally triggers a Cardassian security program, the entire station is put in danger by the crew's attempts to turn it off. This episode is tons of fun. It has some pacing issues, as it seems to forget about Sisko and O'Brien for a good long while until they become convenient again, but there's a lot of fun stuff going on here. Things get even better when Dukat shows up acting all smug, only to find that he himself is now trapped along with the crew. His antagonistic exchanges with Garak are pretty hilarious, too.

3x08 "Meridian" - The Defiant encounters a world that phases in and out of our reality and falls in love with a local scientist just before the planet will disappear for the next sixty years. Pretty solid episode; I'm always wary of these ones because the characters, because of the length of the episode, have to fall in love pretty much immediately, and that rarely feels natural to me. This episode does alright, but it's nothing spectacular.

3x09 "Defiant" - Thomas Riker, transporter duplicate extraordinaire, manages to steal the Defiant and takes it into Cardassian territory on a disastrous suicide mission that could ignite a new war between Cardassia and the Federation. This one starts out alright, but ends up rushing at the end. The Riker character doesn't really get explored as deeply as he should, and I think it's mostly a pacing issue. The other problem with the episode is that Sisko and Dukat spend a lot of time staring at computer screens where there's action going on, which we are not seeing. It's another one of those episodes like "Battle Lines" that I wish the show had followed up on later on, but didn't.

3x10 "Fascination" - As the Bajoran Gratitude Festival gets underway, the crew suddenly begin to fall in love with each other, causing a lot of strained relationships. Meanwhile, O'Brien and Keiko struggle to work out their marital troubles. This episode is pretty hilarious. The mystery is well-paced, and the resolution is just as harmless as the rest of the episode. It's all pretty light-weight, except for the Keiko and O'Brien stuff. A lot of it is hilarious, too; watch Odo trying not to dance with Lwaxana Troi, Bashir and Kira making out constantly, etc.

3x11 "Past Tense, Part I" - A transporter accident traps Sisko and Bashir in the early 21st century at a time when economic downturn led to a social upheaval. This is a great episode, overall. It has a couple of problems that it can't escape, but its positives outweigh its negatives. It leads nicely into...

3x12 "Past Tense, Part II" - Sisko assumes the role of doomed Good Samaritan Gabriel Bell just as the Sanctuary District of the 21st century explodes into a riot. This episode seems more and more important now, in the face of global recession and Occupy Wall Street. It's not so hard to imagine slipping into a world where the poor and the undesirable are locked up in ghettos and out of sight. The problem with the episode is that it simply doesn't have the budget to show the scale of the situation, meaning that much of the picture we get of the world of 2024 has to come through Sisko explaining history to Bashir while they walk through a depressing ghetto. That's all fine, but it's essentially just expository dialogue, and it happens several times. But otherwise, this is a finely written episode with some great themes behind it.

3x13 "Life Support" - Vedek Bareil is gravely injured in an explosion aboard his ship on the way to Deep Space Nine, and Bashir struggles with the ethical dilemma of keeping him alive while taking away his quality of life. Aside from my hatred of Bareil, I dig this episode. It has some important themes behind it, which it handles well... again, save for the terrible performance of the guy playing Bareil. Man, am I glad he's friggin' dead.

3x14 "Heart of Stone" - Kira is trapped in a cave with some kind of crystal growing over her body, and Odo becomes more and more desperate to save her as time grows short. Oh man, big episode for Odo - finally admitting that he's in love with Kira. There's a good twist at the end, too, though parts of this episode are a little too slow. It's definitely Rene Auberjonois' show, though, and he carries it. The musical score for this episode is boring as hell, which is part of the problem.

3x15 "Destiny" - Sisko must confront his role as Emissary when a Bajoran prophecy threatens the destruction of the wormhole. I didn't care for this one at first, but by the end, I realized I was actually kinda digging it. Sisko's struggle to balance his duty as a Starfleet officer and his role as the Emissary is a fascinating one, but also one that the show has mostly ignored for the first two seasons, so it's nice to see that stepping to the forefront here.

3x16 "Prophet Motive" - Grand Nagus Zek returns to the station a changed man, rewriting the Rules of Acquisition to be... charitable. Quark, of course, can't abide this and vows to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it. Meh. Ultimately, I like where this episode goes, and it has some funny bits, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as "The House of Quark."

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
3x17 "Visionary" - After an accident, O'Brien finds himself traveling to the future for brief periods, but each time he discovers something terrible will happen, and tries to stop it when he returns to the past. Part "All Good Things...", part "Cause and Effect," I like this one; the time travel aspect of it is a little convoluted, but it has some clever moments where O'Brien gets to interact with himself, and the escalating dire futures he encounters are fun. The only downside I saw was that the effects for the destruction of the station are lame as hell.

3x18 "Distant Voices" - After being attacked by a powerful alien, Bashir awakes to find the station deserted and its systems wrecked. The alien, some kind of telepath, roams the station killing anyone it finds. And, mysteriously, Bashir seems to be aging at an accelerated rate. I don't care for this one. The premise is fine, and certain aspects of it work really well, but the end result is less than spectacular. An episode that turns out to be little more than a bad dream about Bashir's dislike of turning 30... meh.

3x19 "Through the Looking Glass" - Sisko is kidnapped by human freedom fighters from the Mirror Universe who need him to take his dead counterpart's place, sneak aboard Terok Nor and stop the alliance from construction a sensor array that could spell the end of the rebellion. As I said before, I love the Mirror Universe, and I'm really glad DS9 decided to go back to this story. This episode expands the scope of the storyline, adding alternate versions of Bashir, Rom, Tuvok, Dax, and Sisko's wife, Jennifer. There's some cool action found here, Dax looks smoking hot, and the storyline is a blast. A winner.

3x20 "Improbable Cause" - Garak's shop explodes, nearly killing him, and Odo's investigation begins to uncover a plot by the Obsidian Order that could endanger the entire Alpha Quadrant. Love this episode! Odo and Garak work extremely well together as characters, and the convoluted Cardassian mystery is a pleasure to unfold. The revelation that Garak blew up his own shop is just awesome.

3x21 "The Die is Cast" - As the Cardassian and Romulan fleets prepare to attack the Founders, Sisko defies orders to take the Defiant into the Gamma Quadrant to rescue Odo and Garak. Another excellent episode, this time with revelations for Odo that are fascinating to watch. The scene where Garak tortures him by not letting him turn into a liquid is classic. The battle sequence is DS9's biggest yet, and it doesn't disappoint. This is also one of the few times Leland Orser doesn't play a nervous douche, so I'm glad to see that the man actually has range.

3x22 "Explorers" - Sisko builds a replica of an 800-year-old Bajoran spacecraft and tries to prove that the ancient Bajorans made first contact with the Cardassians. A fine, light-weight episode to come down after the big action and revelations of the previous two-parter. My only problem with it is that the trip from Bajor to Cardassia just doesn't seem to take long enough, even with the explanation given. Still, this is a nice display of the chemistry between Avery Brooks and Cirroc Lofton playing father and son.

3x23 "Family Business" - Liquidator Brunt arrives on the station to inform Quark that his mother Ishka has been brought up on charges for earning profit. Quark and Rom travel to Ferenginar to convince her to confess to her crimes before Quark's business is shut down permanently. My only problem with this episode is the actress playing Ishka; I don't care for her. Otherwise, this episode is pretty hilarious. Brunt is great, the little jokes about literally everything on Ferenginar costing money are a hoot. Max Grodenchik has really made a loveable doofus out of Rom.

3x24 "Shakaar" - Kai Winn nearly starts a civil war on Bajor when she usurps control of the Bajoran government and tries to take back much needed farming equipment from Kira's home province. God, Kai Winn is such a bitch. I say that a lot, but, man, she's such a fucking bitch. What a great character. This one is pretty well written, and I really like how the Bajoran militia tracks Kira's little resistance group ... and then both sides decide they just can't bear to start firing on each other.

3x25 "Facets" - Jadzia asks the crew to take part in a Trill ritual that will allow her to communicate with her past hosts. Meanwhile, Nog prepares to take important exams to allow him to enter Starfleet Academy. A fine enough episode; honestly I was more interested in the Nog subplot than I was in most of the Jadzia parts of the episode. The scene where Sisko plays Joran is great, and Rene Auberjonois is obviously having fun as Curzon, but otherwise a lot of this story seemed redundant. I loved the scene where Rom confronts Quark about rigging Nog's test. Great stuff.

3x26 "The Adversary" - Newly-promoted Captain Sisko is ordered by a visiting ambassador to patrol the Federation border, but the ambassador is actually a changeling who has sabotaged the Defiant, sending it on a course that could plunge the Federation into war. It's hard to measure up to the epic-ness of "The Jem'Hadar," but this is a fine enough episode that features some nice paranoid scenes with everyone trying to guess who the shapeshifter is. The ramifications of Odo killing the other changeling aren't readily apparent, which makes this one seem kind of small somehow, though obviously that becomes important later.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
3x24 "Shakaar" - Kai Winn nearly starts a civil war on Bajor when she usurps control of the Bajoran government and tries to take back much needed farming equipment from Kira's home province. God, Kai Winn is such a bitch. I say that a lot, but, man, she's such a fucking bitch. What a great character. This one is pretty well written, and I really like how the Bajoran militia tracks Kira's little resistance group ... and then both sides decide they just can't bear to start firing on each other.
It's strange, this is one of those ones I always forget about, despite it being quite good and a fairly unique episode.

3x25 "Facets" - Jadzia asks the crew to take part in a Trill ritual that will allow her to communicate with her past hosts. Meanwhile, Nog prepares to take important exams to allow him to enter Starfleet Academy. A fine enough episode; honestly I was more interested in the Nog subplot than I was in most of the Jadzia parts of the episode. The scene where Sisko plays Joran is great, and Rene Auberjonois is obviously having fun as Curzon, but otherwise a lot of this story seemed redundant. I loved the scene where Rom confronts Quark about rigging Nog's test. Great stuff.
I felt the same way, but then I always like Nog stories. It was always satisfying to watch him exceed everyone's expectations, and the fact that he did get scared and upset (unlike Wesley or Icheb) made him likeable.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I felt the same way, but then I always like Nog stories. It was always satisfying to watch him exceed everyone's expectations, and the fact that he did get scared and upset (unlike Wesley or Icheb) made him likeable.
An argument one might be able to make about DS9 in general.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Nog is one of those characters that did the opposite development for me. He was a great character in the beginning, but by the end I was sick of him. His stuff in the last season was really irritating to me.

His high point I think was about the 5th season.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
There were actually a few little Nog B-Stories that I enjoyed, like that little gag where he gets annoyed with Martok for ignoring him, or that one where he loaned out Sisko's desk to get starship parts for O'Brien. The "In The Cards" type stuff with him and Jake were a lot of fun too.

Nog is one of those characters that did the opposite development for me. He was a great character in the beginning, but by the end I was sick of him. His stuff in the last season was really irritating to me.

His high point I think was about the 5th season.
You mean the "Siege of AR-558" and "It's Only a Paper Moon"? Cause I count them as being among the show's best...

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
There were actually a few little Nog B-Stories that I enjoyed, like that little gag where he gets annoyed with Martok for ignoring him, or that one where he loaned out Sisko's desk to get starship parts for O'Brien. The "In The Cards" type stuff with him and Jake were a lot of fun too.

You mean the "Siege of AR-558" and "It's Only a Paper Moon"? Cause I count them as being among the show's best...

AR-558 was really good. The one where Nog "gets Martoks respect"... close, but tolerable... everything else sucked ass. Particularly the one where they traded away Siskos desk. That one was pure stupid.

They went too far with the character. Beating us over the head with the fact that he was "REALLY SUPER ULTRA COMMITTED TO STARFLEET ARGHHHH!!!!!"

It just got fucking irritating.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x01/02 "The Way of the Warrior" - A Klingon fleet arrives at Deep Space Nine led by General Martok. Sisko recruits Lt. Commander Worf of the Enterprise to get to the bottom of the Klingons' plans, and discovers the Empire is plotting to invade Cardassia. When Sisko responds to Dukat's distress signal, he puts the long-standing peace treaty between the Federation and the Klingons in jeopardy. Classic episode. Martok is a great character, the plotting is excellent, and the action sequences are rockin'. DS9 tops itself again with the battles in the second half, first with the Defiant taking on the Klingons in Cardassian space and then the Klingon fleet getting pounded by the station itself at the climax. If I have one problem with it, it's that so many Klingon ships are destroyed with single shot, but it all looks very impressive and is well-edited, so I won't bitch too much.

4x03 "The Visitor" - After an accident in engineering, Sisko is trapped in a layer of subspace outside normal time, appearing only briefly over the course of decades of Jake's life. Another classic episode. It's probably one of the most openly emotional episodes of 'Star Trek' in general, with lots of crying and weeping. Of course it all turns out happy in the end, but man this is one friggin' sad hour of television. It's very well-played by the entire cast, and the reset button by suicide is tragically disturbing.

4x04 "Hippocratic Oath" - Bashir and O'Brien are captured by a group of rogue Jem'Hadar and forced to work on a cure for their addiction to the White. This one's alright, but mostly it gets points for fleshing out details about the Jem'Hadar, who are still mostly pretty mysterious. Scott MacDonald, who played Tosk, guest stars, which is fun. But the episode itself isn't all that special.

4x05 "Indiscretion" - Kira tracks down a Cardassian ship that disappeared years earlier, and is forced to go on a rescue mission with Dukat who makes an astonishing confession: his half-Bajoran daughter is also on the ship, and he intends to kill her to spare himself the shame. I like this one. Any time Kira and Dukat get to interact is a ton of fun, because you can tell how much they hate each other, but at the same time, there's some kind of weird friendship going on there. The climax where he nearly kills Ziyal is well-played all around.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x06 "Rejoined" - Dax is reunited with another Trill with whom she has a romantic past, endangering both their futures if they rekindle their relationship. This episode is... I dunno. Much like an earlier TNG episode, it seems to try and present Trek's progressive ideas regarding same-sex relationships, but in the end isn't capable of pulling the trigger. It goes through a lot of the motions, but ultimately Dax and Kahn chicken out, giving in to the societal pressures against them. In the early 90s, that seemed tragic; watching it now in 2011, it seems frustrating and even a little outdated.

4x07 "Starship Down" - While in the Gamma Quadrant to negotiate a trade agreement with the Karemma, the Defiant is attacked by Jem'Hadar. The ship is heavily damaged, and Sisko badly injured, forcing Worf to take command. Great episode here. Reminds me a bit of TNG's "Disaster," with the crew trapped in different sections of the ship, but with the added danger of combat with the Jem'Hadar. It's cool to see Worf learning to be a commander, and the submarine feel to the episode works well.

4x08 "Little Green Men" - Quark, Rom and Nog take a trip to Earth to deliver Nog to Starfleet Academy, but a warp core accident sends them back in time to the early 20th century. I've seen this one get some flack, but I find it pretty hilarious. Quark's attempts to appeal to the greed of 20th century humans is a riot. The appearance of Odo partway through is a welcome addition, since I always love the way those two get along. This is a nice, light-weight time travel story.

4x09 "The Sword of Kahless" - Kor returns to the station, claiming to have found a clue to the location of the legendary lost Sword of Kahless, and brings Worf and Dax along with him to the Gamma Quadrant. But after finding the sword, the group is ambushed by the son of Duras, who wants to use the sword to usurp control of the Klingon Empire. I don't really care for this one; it has the right ideas, but too much time is spent on bickering between Kor and Worf and not enough on Duras' men hunting them. This episode should have been a taught thriller, instead it just kind of plays around with a 'power corrupts' kind of idea. Meh.

4x10 "Our Man Bashir" - A sabotaged runabout nearly kills much of the command crew, but their transport is interrupted and the patterns stored in Bashir's James Bond-inspired holodeck fantasy. Bashir and Garak must work their way through the program without harming their friends while Eddington and Rom figure out how to save the crew. All the little James Bond 60s spy movie flourishes in this one are a hoot to watch. The cast is clearly having fun with all the silliness, especially Nana Visitor who gets to put on an exaggerated accent, and Andrew Robinson's Garak who seems overly amused at how his 'real' spy life seems entirely at odds with Bashir's spy fantasy.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
4x11 "Homefront" - After a diplomatic conference is bombed, Odo and Sisko are recalled to Earth when the evidence points to changelings being the culprit. This episode is a great first part, but it really functions best with its conclusion...

4x12 "Paradise Lost" - Sisko discovers that the changeling threat to Earth may be part of a conspiracy within Starfleet. This is a fantastic episode, and one that feels all the more prescient post-9/11 (god, though I hate using that phrase). The look on Sisko's face when he realizes he didn't trust his own father is priceless, and the whole storyline that even the best of us can be swept up in the paranoia is fantastic. Though some of the special effects aren't all that great for the battle between the Defiant and the Lakota, the episode in general holds up damn well.

4x13 "Crossfire" - Odo's feelings for Kira cause him pain when he's forced to watch her grow closer to First Minister Shakaar. This episode is pretty painful to watch; Odo is totally in love with Kira and she's completely oblivious to it. In the end, it's not tied up in a neat little bow nor is there a happy ending, which is one of the great qualities of DS9 over, say, 'Voyager' or to an extent even TNG.

4x14 "Return to Grace" - Now toiling in disgrace, Dukat ferries Kira to a diplomatic meeting between Cardassia and Bajor, but they are hunted by Klingons. I may have mentioned this before, but what's great about Dukat is that they spend so much time having him straddle the line between sympathy and villainy; he does awful things, but the writers always give him just enough 'good' to make you care for him. Here, he's pathetic and depressed about having lost his power, and a caring father. You almost forget that he's a power mad, vicious murderer. Gah.

4x15 "Sons of Mogh" - Worf's brother Kurn arrives on the station, having been exiled from the Empire after Worf's perceived betrayal of Gowron, and asking that Worf take his life. Tony Todd is great as Kurn, and the story overall is interesting. This episode does an excellent job deepening our understanding of Klingon culture, and how they deal when confronted with the dishonor they speak about so often.

4x16 "Bar Association" - Rom organizes a strike of Quark's employees, which threatens his business with the FCA. While the episode is enjoyable enough, it has one problem that really sticks with me: the ultimate solution to the problem is painfully obvious from the start, so it makes the whole thing seem kind of stupid to take so long to arrive at that idea. Still, it's a big leap forward for the Rom character, which is nice.

4x17 "Accession" - A Bajoran is suddenly released from the wormhole claiming to the the Emissary, but Sisko regrets giving up the position when the new Emissary forces Bajor to return to a restrictive old caste system. This is a solid episode that forces Sisko to confront his role as the Emissary, and has some interesting revelations for how the Bajorans see and treat the Emissary. The ending doesn't make a whole lot of sense, though, even taking into account the non-linear nature of the Prophets.

4x18 "Rules of Engagement" - Worf is accused of destroying a civilian Klingon ship, and Sisko must defend him at an extradition hearing. This is a fine episode that explores the Worf character and his tendency toward violence. Ron Canada puts in a fine performance as the Klingon lawyer, and the best scenes in the episode feature his interactions with both Sisko and Worf. He puts a lot of energy into his performance, and it shows.

4x19 "Hard Time" - O'Brien is convicted of being a spy on an alien world and has years of false memories of his incarceration implanted in his mind. When he returns to the station, his post-traumatic stress begins to tear his life apart. This is a damn powerful episode. It goes to dark places, both in the prison flashbacks and in the present. O'Brien's contemplation of suicide is a huge, riveting moment. Great performances and great writing all around.

4x20 "Shattered Mirror" - Sisko and Jake travel to the Mirror Universe to help the Terrans finish construction of their version of the Defiant and defend Terok Nor from the Alliance fleet commanded by Regent Worf. This episode is a lot of fun. Another cool jaunt to the mirror universe, and a nifty battle sequence at the end between the Defiant and Worf's flagship. It's not my favorite of the Mirror Universe episodes, though. I think that honor might go to the previous one; the conditions seemed more dire, yet here things seem a little too hunky-dory.

4x21 "The Muse" - An alien woman sucks the life out of Jake. Meanwhile, Lwaxana returns to the station seeking Odo's help to save her unborn child from an oppressive father. Ugh. This episode is pretty bad. The Lwaxana portion of the episode seems ill-conceived, though well-acted, while the Jake plot is just dull as dirt. Easily the worst episode of the season.

4x22 "For the Cause" - Odo and Eddington suspect that Kasidy Yates is a smuggler for the Maquis, which puts Sisko in an awkward position as important cargo for Bajor is soon to arrive on the station. Solid episode; the reveal of who the actual traitor is caught me by surprise back in the day, and it still works today. I'm not sure I'm really a fan of the evolving effects for the Badlands. What strikes me about the episode is that Sisko loses, hard, in this episode: his girlfriend goes to jail and he fails to secure the cargo from the Maquis. Bravo, writers.

4x23 "To the Death" - The crew is forced to team up with a band of Jem'Hadar in order to track down and destroy an Iconian gateway guarded by rogue Jem'Hadar. Great episode. Not only is it fun watching the crew interact with the Jem'Hadar, and some fun hand-to-hand combat at the end, but this episode introduces one of DS9's best characters: Weyoun!

4x24 "The Quickening" - Bashir dedicates himself to finding a cure for a Dominion plague that is ravaging a world in the Gamma Quadrant. This is a good episode. The scene where Bashir discovers his instruments are slowly killing his patients is fantastic, and their distrust of him afterward is well-played. Even the 'happy' ending comes with strings attached, which is a fine way to leave things.

4x25 "Body Parts" - Quark believes he is dying, and sells his remains on the futures market. Unfortunately, Brunt is the buyer, and he intends to collect even after Quark discovers he's not really dying. Meh. This episode is pretty weird. It's another solid step on Quark's journey toward becoming a terrible Ferengi. The subplot involving the O'Briens' baby being transferred into Kira is kind of awkward, obviously constructed to hide Nana Visitor's real-life pregnancy.

4x26 "Broken Link" - When Odo gets sick, the crew tracks down the Founders who pronounce judgment over him. Not a huge fan of this episode. It seems mostly just build-up for the next one, rather than being anything important or dramatic on its own. The best scene is when Garak asks the Founder if there are any survivors of the Cardassian/Romulan attack in Season 3.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x01 "Apocalypse Rising" - Sisko, Odo, Worf and O'Brien infiltrate a Klingon facility after learning that Gowron may have been replaced by a changeling. Pretty good episode. Sisko makes a pretty good Klingon, and I liked Gowron's sort of grudging respect for what they do for him, even though he still hates Worf and doesn't plan on calling off the war against the Federation.

5x02 "The Ship" - The crew is stranded in the Gamma Quadrant after their runabout is destroyed, and they hole up in a crashed Jem'Hadar ship. Also a pretty good episode. Part of what's great about DS9 is that it's willing to give hard endings to an episode. Here, a changeling is dead because Sisko and the Vorta simply can't trust each other. Sisko gets his prize, but at a high cost to his own morals.

5x03 "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places" - Quark's Klingon wife returns to the station and Worf helps Quark attempt to woo her. This one has some funny bits, but I think the parts I like best are scenes between Worf and Dax. The whole remote-controlled bat'leth fight seems kinda silly though.

5x04 "...Nor the Battle to the Strong" - Bashir and Jake respond to a distress signal from a Klingon colony under attack by the Klingons, and Jake learns about the horrors of war. Fantastic episode. The shelling scene seems a little lame, but I chalk it up to budgetary limitations and the era in which it was produced. But still, great script, great performances. The scene where Jake looks disgusted after he finds out the human soldier shot himself in the foot, excellent.

5x05 "The Assignment" - Keiko O'Brien is possessed by a Pah-wraight who orders O'Brien to help her destroy the wormhole. Big meh on this one, though the Pah-wraith concept is one that will become important later on.

5x06 "Trials and Tribble-ations" - The Defiant is sent back in time, and the crew must search the original Enterprise for an assassin who plans to kill the legendary James T. Kirk. A great episode. A funny script, cleverly weaving in and out of the TOS episode and even mixing new and old footage together. This one's a winner. The cast is clearly having fun, and the episode itself is a lightweight, good time.

5x07 "Let He Who is Without Sin..." - While on vacation to Risa, Worf becomes involved in an extremist group that nearly destroys the entire planet. Dullllllllsville. I guess it has an important statement to make about the Federation becoming complacent in the face of such dangerous enemies, but the episode itself just isn't very compelling other than getting to see Dax and Leeta in revealing clothing.

5x08 "Things Past" - After an accident on a runabout, Sisko, Dax, Odo and Garak find themselves in the past aboard Terok Nor, in the identities of a group of doomed, falsely accused criminals. I liked this one a lot, mostly because it's a good look into a major blunder in Odo's past, one that he still feels the repercussions of years later. The final scene between Kira and Odo and she's so disappointed in him is excellent.

5x09 "The Ascent" - Odo and Quark crash on a barely habitable world and must climb to higher ground to send a distress signal. There's a lot about this episode that's very... obvious. But the interactions between Quark and Odo are such a pleasure to watch that even a very run-of-the-mill premise doesn't bring this one down.

5x10 "Rapture" - Sisko begins having visions of the future that foretell of doom just as Bajor is prepared to join the Federation. Lots of cool foreshadowing in this episode. Sisko's vision of locusts heading for Cardassia is foreboding. And his sad response after Jake decides to go through with the surgery is poignant. Oh, and everyone gets the cool 'First Contact' style uniforms.

5x11 "The Darkness and the Light" - Kira's old resistance friends are being murdered, and whoever the killer is keeps sending Kira taunting messages. Great episode! The highlight has to be Randy Oglesby's crazed Cardassian killer at the climax. It's a fabulous performance, with great dialogue to bolster it.

5x12 "The Begotten" - Odo tries to raise an infant changeling, but is frustrated by the arrival of Dr. Mora, who has different ideas on what to do with it. Meanwhile, Kira delivers the O'Briens' baby. I'm disappointed in this one because I feel like nothing was really ever done with the "Odo is a solid" storyline. It barely seems to last long enough for it to be any kind of real punishment for him, and mostly all they do with it is give him aches and pains and let him drink a bit.

5x13 "For the Uniform" - Sisko becomes obsessed with capturing Eddington, whose Maquis raids grow more and more dangerous. Great episode. Some cool special effects and action, but really it's the interactions between smug Eddington and pissed off Sisko that are the draw. The holographic communications thing is weird because it appears in this episode and one other, and that's it, so it feels very out of place. But it also helps make the scenes between Sisko and Eddington that much better, so I'll allow it.

5x14 "In Purgatory's Shadow" - Garak intercepts a Cardassian distress signal from the Gamma Quadrant and he and Worf go in search of survivors from the attack on the Founders. The pairing of Garak and Worf doesn't work as well as the pairing of Garak and Odo, in my opinion, but this is still a fine episode. I'm not sure the revelation that Bashir has been a changeling since before 'Rapture' makes a lot of sense, but it's still a pretty impressive twist.

5x15 "By Inferno's Light" - Garak, Worf, Martok and Bashir attempt to escape the Jem'Hadar prison camp while Dukat reveals that Cardassia and the Dominion are now allies. There's a lot of big changes in this episode. The Klingons and the Federation become allies again, the Dominion becomes a major part of the Alpha Quadrant, and Dukat will never again be an ally to Sisko or to Bajor. Solid episode all-around.

5x16 "Doctor Bashir, I Presume?" - Bashir's past is thrown into the harsh light of day when his parents come aboard the station at the request of Dr. Zimmerman, who wants to make an EMH out of Bashir. A funny enough episode, Robert Picardo is fun to have around, Leeta is hot as hell, and the revelation that Bashir was genetically engineered works out fairly well.

5x17 "A Simple Investigation" - Odo falls for a woman who is in trouble with the Orion Syndicate. I fell asleep.

5x18 "Business as Usual" - Quark finally gets into arms dealing to make the big bugs, but discovers that he can't quite stomach it. Slept through this one, too.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
5x19 "Ties of Blood and Water" - Ghemor arrives on the station to visit Kira, and tells her that he is dying, and that he wants to tell Kira all his secrets before he passes. Dukat and Weyoun arrive on the station to try and stop him. A fine episode, and one which reintroduces the Weyoun character. I like that Ghemor has taken on a father figure relationship with Kira, and I'm so glad the producers decided Weyoun was worth keeping around.

5x20 "Ferengi Love Songs" - Quark learns Moogie is dating... Grand Nagus Zek. -shudder- It's pretty interesting that Ishka turns out to be the power behind the Nagus, and it's always fun to have Brunt around. Jeffrey Coombs plays such great characters on these shows. He's a real gem for this franchise.

5x21 "Soldiers of the Empire" - Worf and Dax join Martok on his first command since returning from the Gamma Quadrant. But the crew is full of misfits who don't trust Martok. I like this episode, despite the somewhat tedious setup. The ship full of losers isn't so awesome, but the idea of Martok having to regain his honor and confidence after suffering at the hands of the Dominion is a great one. And this episode is important for the strong bond that forms between Worf and Martok.

5x22 "Children of Time" - The Defiant crew finds a planet full of people who are their descendants and learn that the ship will be thrown back in time. Sisko must make the difficult choice of leaving and eradicating the settlement from time. Pretty good episode. I really like that the older Odo is still around, and Dax as well. The crew gets to check out which way their lives might go. Much, much better than the 'Enterprise' episode E^2 that rips it off almost wholesale.

5x23 "Blaze of Glory" - Sisko recruits Eddington to help him stop a Maquis doomsday plan that could plunge the Alpha Quadrant into war. ...And so Eddington comes to an end. I like that this episode redeems him a little for Sisko, and the tone of the episode is well-played. It feels very apocalyptic, as the Jem'Hadar are just slaughtering the Maquis.

5x24 "Empok Nor" - O'Brien, Nog, Garak and a team of engineers go to an abandoned Cardassian station for parts, but end up running afoul of an Obsidian Order experiment that could kill them all. Cool episode, well directed. The shots of Empok Nor look fantastic, and Garak gets pretty downright scary towards the end.

5x25 "In the Cards" - Jake tries to get an important baseball card to cheer up his dad, and he and Nog end up cheering everyone up in the process. I like this one. I know you guys were ragging on it a bit earlier, but I think it's kind of important to put a little uplifting episode like this one right before the finale.

5x26 "Call To Arms" - Sisko decides to mine the entrance to the wormhole, and the Dominion declares war to stop him. Fantastic episode. The war is on, and the back half of this episode is just flat-out awesome. Big battle, abandoning the station, and joining the fleet... This one is full of cool moments.

6x01 "A Time to Stand" - Three months later, the Federation is losing the war. Sisko and his crew are given command of a captured Jem'Hadar ship in order to infiltrate Dominion space and take out an important supply facility. I like that this episode skips ahead a few months instead of picking right up after the season six finale. The tone of it is pretty perfect, too, with the crew demoralized after so many losses already. It also features some fine special effects work.

6x02 "Rocks and Shoals" - The crew is marooned on a barren world deep in Dominion territory, but they are not alone: a contingent of Jem'Hadar and an injured Vorta are nearby, and the Jem'Hadar are running dangerously low on Ketracel White. Another great episode. The treachery of the Vorta is fantastic, and Sisko's disgust at having to kill all the Jem'Hadar, even in self defense, is nicely played.

6x03 "Sons and Daughters" - Worf is reunited with his estranged son, Alexander. Meanwhile, Ziyal tries to get Kira and Dukat to become friends. I love the B-plot of the story, since I always found the triangle between Ziyal, Dukat and Kira fascinating. The A-plot, though, with Worf and his loser kid isn't all that interesting. I'm also not sure how Alexander seemed to age a decade in just a couple years. And the actor playing him isn't very good at all.

6x04 "Behind the Lines" - Kira tries to sow discord between the Jem'Hadar and the Cardassians. Meanwhile, Sisko concocts a dangerous plan to destroy a Dominion sensor array, but is told he will not be commanding the mission himself. Back to form, this episode has a lot of cool ideas behind it. Kira's little resistance cell aboard the station has some fun starting fights, and Sisko's frustration at not being the man in the center chair works nicely.

6x05 "Favor the Bold" - Damar has finally figured out how to take down the minefield, and Sisko realizes the only way to save the Alpha Quadrant is to retake Deep Space Nine. This one's all setup, but it's got a lot going for it. The rift between Odo and Kira, specifically, is well played.

6x06 "Sacrifice of Angels" - The Federation fleet engages the Dominion. Meanwhile, Kira and Rom must figure out how to keep Dukat from bringing down the minefield and allowing thousands of Dominion ships to enter the Alpha Quadrant. Bam! Loaded with huge special effects, this one is a classic for the series. Retaking the station is awesome, Dukat going insane over his failure and the loss of his daughter is excellent. Great how the loss of Ziyal affects him, and also Kira and Garak.

6x07 "You Are Cordially Invited..." - Worf and Dax prepare to marry, but Martok's wife doesn't approve and could derail the whole thing. There are some funny bits in this episode, but it feels... off somehow. I've heard rumors that the producers attempted to get the entire cast of 'The Next Generation' to make a silent cameo, which would have been awesome. But in general, something about this episode doesn't seem to work.

6x08 "Resurrection" - Bareil arrives from the Mirror Universe, and Kira falls back in love with him even though it's not really her Bareil. Ultimately, the twist that Bareil is evil seems entirely too obvious and I never liked Bareil to begin with so having him back isn't all that interesting to me. I find this one to be the weakest of the Mirror Universe installments.

6x09 "Statistical Probabilities" - A group of genetically enhanced misfits working with Bashir determines that the Federation will lose the war, and must surrender. Not too bad. I like the little fair tale that they construct around Damar, and the plotting works well. But the individual characters are a little too one-note, and the performances a little too over-the-top.

6x10 "The Magnificent Ferengi" - When Moogie is kidnapped by the Dominion, Quark assembles a ragtag team of Ferengi to rescue her. This episode is pretty hilarious. The Ferengi team are a riot, and the episode succeeds mostly on their performances. Brunt is a source of much comedy, so is the crazed assassin. Iggy Pop is kind of annoying as a Vorta, though.

6x11 "Waltz" - Sisko and Dukat escape a Dominion attack, only to land on an inhospitable planet. Dukat has gone insane, and the Defiant has only a short time to locate them before it must return to the front lines on an important mission. Great episode! Marc Alaimo does a great job as crazy Dukat, and Dukat's revelation of his deep, deep hatred for the Bajorans is well played. I love that Dukat and Sisko are finally past being polite to each other and are now openly hostile.

6x12 "Who Mourns for Morn?" - Quark learns that Morn has been killed, and left everything to him - including a huge sum of money that a bunch of unsavory characters are also trying to get. This one's pretty funny. Morn is such a hilarious character, and I love that his backstory now includes a life of crime. The final shootout is pretty funny, too, and Quark's reaction to the empty gold bricks. "Nothing but worthless GOLD!"

6x13 "Far Beyond the Stars" - Sisko has a vision of himself as a writer named Benny Russell in the 1950s who tries to sell a story of a better future where black people are equal. Great, great episode. It's all so well-played and produced. The cast really gets into it, and it's awesome to see so many of them out of their alien makeup just playing regular humans.

6x14 "One Little Ship" - Dax, O'Brien and Bashir are shrunken to just a few inches tall and are the only hope when the Defiant is captured by the Jem'Hadar. ...Oy. I dunno, I mean... It's just too silly, really. It has some funny bits, sure, and some clever moments. But the premise of the episode is just a little too lame, even though the script itself isn't that bad.

6x15 "Honor Among Thieves" - O'Brien is ordered to infiltrate the Orion Syndicate, and ends up befriending a kindly gangster. For a while, I really just didn't understand why this episode existed. It takes far too long to get to the point, but once it does it redeems itself. The performances are nice, but the script is poorly paced.

6x16 "Change of Heart" - Worf and Dax are sent on an important mission together, but Dax is injured, putting everything in jeopardy. A great episode. The scene between Worf and Sisko at the end is excellent, especially when Sisko reveals that he doesn't think Worf made a bad call even if he has to punish him for failing the mission.

6x17 "Wrongs Darker than Death or Night" - Kira travels back in time to discover the truth about her mother: that she was the lover of Gul Dukat during the Occupation. I don't care for this one. It's not poorly produced, but connecting Dukat and Kira's mother in such a fashion feels really cheap. I just can't get behind it.

6x18 "Inquisition" - Bashir is accused of being a Dominion spy by a man named Sloan, but it turns out Sloan is trying to recruit him into a secret spy agency known as Section 31. The introduction of Section 31 is pretty intriguing; a sort of black ops Starfleet Intelligence, but without even the rules that they have to follow. William Sadler does a great job playing Sloan, getting just the right amount of douchiness in.

6x19 "In the Pale Moonlight" - Sisko sacrifices his morals in order to get the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion. Great, great episode. Great performances, great writing. The Romulan senator's "It's a faaaake!" is a little overdone, but who cares? This episode is a pure gem.

6x20 "His Way" - Holographic lounge singer Vic Fontaine teaches Odo how to woo Kira. James Darren injects a lot of fun into the Vic character, and I love how he interacts with the DS9 crew. This is a great episode for how it furthers the relationship between Odo and Kira and finally gets the two together after a couple years of them sorta waiting for each other. I remember this one being my ex's favorite episode of the series because "it's about love."

6x21 "The Reckoning" - A showdown between the Prophets and the Pah-wraiths is coming, one which will challenge Sisko's commitment to the Prophets. A solid episode all around. Kai Winn is slimy as ever, and the fact that it's her that stops the reckoning and not Sisko is a great twist for the episode. Also, the fight between Prophet-Kira and Pah-wraith-Jake has some nice special effects.

6x22 "Valiant" - Jake and Nog are rescued from a Jem'Hadar attack by a group of Red Squad cadets in command of a Defiant-class ship. While Nog fits right in with them, Jake notices that their captain is dangerously over-confident, and putting them all in danger. Meh. There are some nice special effects in this one, and it's not that the idea is bad, either. I do have one problem with it: Jake says that his dad would never go on such a dangerous mission. ...Except that I think he would. Sisko has gone on plenty of crazy missions by now, so Jake's speech rings hollow.

6x23 "Profit and Lace" - Quark must pose as a woman to help Zek regain control of the Ferengi Alliance. ...My god. There are some funny bits here, but man, what were they on when they made this episode? So bizarre.

6x24 "Time's Orphan" - Molly O'Brien disappears into some kind of time portal, and re-emerges as a feral teenager. I like the first half of this episode, when Molly is missing. Once she comes back and they're trying to communicate with her and rehabilitate her, it just loses all its steam. I'm not sure if it was avoidable, though, because I'm not sure an entire episode could be built around O'Brien tinkering with a time portal.

6x25 "The Sound of Her Voice" - The Defiant crew talks to a marooned starship captain while on their way to rescue her, and she helps them sort through the problems in their lives. I love this episode. We never get to see Cusak, but she still seems like a great character. And the way it dissects the crew's lives in such a neat fashion is great. The ultimate twist is very effective, but I have just one problem: At the wake, O'Brien says a line about how some day someone in the group will be missing- and the episode cuts right to Jadzia. Way to be blunt, guys.

6x26 "Tears of the Prophets" - Sisko defies the Prophets to lead an offensive against the Dominion to capture an important star system, but pays a heavy price. Great episode. DS9 really knocks it out of the park with their season finales. The battle sequences are pretty incredible, especially when the Jem'Hadar make their initial suicide run against the Klingons. The loss of Jadzia is keenly felt by the crew, and Sisko leaving for Earth makes it all feel much more dire.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
5x21 "Soldiers of the Empire" - Worf and Dax join Martok on his first command since returning from the Gamma Quadrant. But the crew is full of misfits who don't trust Martok. I like this episode, despite the somewhat tedious setup. The ship full of losers isn't so awesome, but the idea of Martok having to regain his honor and confidence after suffering at the hands of the Dominion is a great one. And this episode is important for the strong bond that forms between Worf and Martok.
I really liked this episode as well, for the reasons you state as well as the fact that it was nice that Worf never felt like an outcast again.

5x25 "In the Cards" - Jake tries to get an important baseball card to cheer up his dad, and he and Nog end up cheering everyone up in the process. I like this one. I know you guys were ragging on it a bit earlier, but I think it's kind of important to put a little uplifting episode like this one right before the finale.
Who was ragging on it? I think it's great.

6x19 "In the Pale Moonlight" - Sisko sacrifices his morals in order to get the Romulans to join the war against the Dominion. Great, great episode. Great performances, great writing. The Romulan senator's "It's a faaaake!" is a little overdone, but who cares? This episode is a pure gem.
Yeah, but if he hadn't been so over the top it wouldn't have been as memorable. I mean, it's almost up there with "KHAAAAAAAN!!".

Jun 13, 2006
6x20 "His Way" - Holographic lounge singer Vic Fontaine teaches Odo how to woo Kira. James Darren injects a lot of fun into the Vic character, and I love how he interacts with the DS9 crew. This is a great episode for how it furthers the relationship between Odo and Kira and finally gets the two together after a couple years of them sorta waiting for each other. I remember this one being my ex's favorite episode of the series because "it's about love."
This is one of my favorites. James Darren and Rene Auberjonois have great on-screen chemistry (and are very close in age, with Darren being 4 years older), and for once in a Trek series, the romantic relationships aren't handled in a ham-fisted manner. On top of that, Darren does Sinatra almost as well as Frank did.

With Odo's makeup, it's hard to remember that Auberjonois and Visitor are 17 years apart in age.

6x22 "Valiant" - Jake and Nog are rescued from a Jem'Hadar attack by a group of Red Squad cadets in command of a Defiant-class ship. While Nog fits right in with them, Jake notices that their captain is dangerously over-confident, and putting them all in danger. Meh. There are some nice special effects in this one, and it's not that the idea is bad, either. I do have one problem with it: Jake says that his dad would never go on such a dangerous mission. ...Except that I think he would. Sisko has gone on plenty of crazy missions by now, so Jake's speech rings hollow.
I think it would be more accurate to say that Sisko wouldn't have ordered such a crazy mission without better analysis and contemplation. Outside of his Eddington problem, we never saw Sisko acting quite as deranged as the Red Squad kid.

Last edited: