Deep Space Nine: Holy Shit

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I know there's already a thread like this, but I'm gonna restart it anyway.

1x01/1x02 "Emissary" - Commander Benjamin Sisko gathers his crew aboard the space station Deep Space Nine on the Federation border where he discovers the first stable wormhole known to exist, placing the station and the planet Bajor in jeopardy from the Cardassian Empire. 'Emissary' is, in my opinion, the best of the 'Star Trek' pilot episodes. It places less emphasis on action and adventure and makes Sisko's grief over the death of his wife the major obstacle to achieving peace with the mysterious wormhole aliens/Bajoran Prophets. A number of long-running story threads are introduced, including Sisko's role as the Emissary, the Cardassians vs Bajorans back story, Odo's mysterious past, Bashir's attraction to Dax, O'Brien's difficulties with the station's computer (more of a running gag than a story though). There is some action, though the episode is front-heavy in this regard - almost like the producers knew that they needed to start out with a bang if they were going to risk having a slower overall story for the rest of the episode. The opening Wolf 359 flashback is pretty badass, though. There are a lot of great scenes here, especially Sisko's first meeting with Picard; Patrick Stewart's performance is great as Picard keeps trying to be friendly to Sisko and keeps getting shut down.

1x03 "Past Prologue" - When a Bajoran terrorist who has a past with Kira requests asylum aboard the station, Bashir is drawn into a web of intrigue with 'plain, simple' Garak - the Cardassian tailor who seems to know more than he'll admit about the situation. In its second episode, DS9 wastes no time getting down to business with the struggles of the Bajoran Provisional Government, the former terrorists, and Kira's divided loyalties. This is a solid episode that lays an excellent foundation for Kira beyond "I'm angry and resentful about the Federation."

1x04 "A Man Alone" - Odo becomes the prime suspect in a murder investigation involving a man he sent to prison years ago, but some of the evidence doesn't quite make sense. A decent murder mystery, but mostly it serves to better define both Odo's character and his relationship with Quark. There's an excellent scene where Quark agrees that he's Odo's worst enemy, and replies that it's also the closest thing Odo has to a friend. There's also a scene between the two of them where there's a kind of mutual respect that neither will admit out loud.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
1x05 "Babel" - O'Brien accidentally triggers a device left behind on the station years earlier which releases a virus into the station's food supply that makes people lose their ability to communicate. This episode is kind of 'meh'. It's not that it's a bad episode, really, but the premise sorta stretches things. In terms of its structure, dialogue, direction, etc, it's all very well and good. But I just can't really get behind the idea of a virus that makes you talk funny before it kills you.

1x06 "Captive Pursuit" - The first alien to come through from the other side of the wormhole befriends O'Brien, but the crew soon discovers that this 'Tosk' is the prey in a dangerous hunt, and the Prime Directive may prevent them from saving his life. I like this one a lot. O'Brien is a great character, and he has good chemistry with Scott MacDonald playing Tosk. Macdonald would later play the Xindi Dolim on 'Enterprise'. The action sequences aren't spectacular, but the episode is written well enough that I'm not too disappointed, and they're short, too.

1x07 "Q-Less" - Q visits the station to try and convince Vash to go out with him again and the crew blames him for a series of increasingly dangerous power losses on the station. I don't care for this episode. Q simply doesn't belong on this show, and I think the producers realized it after this one. Sure, John de Lancie is still fun and having a good time, but the episode just feels wrong from start to finish. Part of it is taht the whole thing seems like a grab for TNG viewers.

1x08 "Dax" - An alien world tries to extradite Dax for crimes possibly committed by her previous host, forcing Sisko to defend her in court and Odo to dig into the truth about a man revered as a hero. This episode is very quiet, and reliant entirely on people standing around in a room talking to each other. Problematically, the show gives good arguments for why Dax both is and isn't the same person as she used to be, so it can feel a little wishy-washy about what to do with the Trill. Ultimately, though, it's still a pretty fascinating episode. But a very restrained one.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
1x05 "Babel" - O'Brien accidentally triggers a device left behind on the station years earlier which releases a virus into the station's food supply that makes people lose their ability to communicate. This episode is kind of 'meh'. It's not that it's a bad episode, really, but the premise sorta stretches things. In terms of its structure, dialogue, direction, etc, it's all very well and good. But I just can't really get behind the idea of a virus that makes you talk funny before it kills you.
I just find it kind of drags, and nothing really surprising happens.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
1x09 "The Passenger" - While the station prepares for an important incoming shipment, an alien security agent warns them that a dastardly criminal plans to steal it. The only problem is that according to all their evidence... he's dead. Honestly, this isn't a bad episode but the big problem is that Alexander Siddig's performance in the final act is awful. I mean, really, really freaking bad. And the whole mapping someone's brain onto someone else's is a little overboard, too. Ultimately, I have to go 'meh' on this one.

1x10 "Move Along Home - ...the fuck?

1x11 "The Nagus" - Quark is shocked when Grand Nagus Zek arrives on the station and names Quark as his successor. But Quark soon finds that power and success are not all they're cracked up to be. I think Wallace Shawn as Zek is freaking hilarious. I've never held the disdain for the Ferengi comedy episodes that others have, so even though this one was kind of predictable, I liked it.

1x12 "Vortex" - Odo arrests a man from the Gamma Quadrant accused of murder, but the situation becomes more complicated when the man claims to have met other shapeshifters like Odo. I like that this one delves a bit into Odo's desire to meet others of his race, but otherwise it's not a particularly awesome episode by any stretch. Randy Oglesby, who would later play Degra on 'Enterprise,' plays a Miradorn set on killing the alien liar, and does a pretty good job of it, too.

1x13 "Battle Lines" - Sisko, Opaka, Kira and Bashir take a trip through the wormhole, but their ship crashes on a prison world where the prisoners are engulfed in an unending war, since none of them can die. I like this one; the characters aren't very deeply drawn, but I really like the story involving Opaka and how important she is to Kira and the Bajorans. I only wish it had been followed up on later, but Opaka only reappears later as a Prophet phantom. Boo.

1x14 "The Storyteller" - Bashir and O'Brien visit a town on Bajor to treat a dying leader, only to find that the entire village is threatened by a strange energy creature and O'Brien is tapped as the new leader to defeat it. I appreciate what this one is trying to do, and I like that it shows us the beginnings of the friendship between Bashir and O'Brien, but otherwise it doesn't really work all that well. It tries to justify its weird premise by mentioning the orbs, but overall I'm not that impressed.

1x15 "Progress" - Kira befriends an elderly Bajoran who is standing in the way of a construction and mining project that will supply much-needed energy to the planet. I like this one. Kira's struggle between her duty and her feelings is well-played, and the guest actor is up to the job of the crotchety but lovable old man. Sisko's scene where he cuts through her indecisiveness and tells her she's "on the other side now" is great.

1x16 "If Wishes Were Horses" - Figments of the crew's imagination begin taking corporeal form, including a famous ballplayer hero of Sisko's, fairy tale character Rumplestiltskin and a horny version of Jadzia Dax. Like "Babel" and "Q-Less" this one just seems too silly for DS9. It'd work well on almost any other Trek show, but here it feels out of place. And it seems to take the crew too long to figure out how to solve the problem of the subspace anomaly. I do like that it wasn't the anomaly that caused their problems, but the other way around. The ending is a nice touch.

1x17 "The Forsaken" - While the crew deals with strange malfunctions around the station, Odo is trapped in a turbolift with Lwaxana Troi. I like this one. As a TNG guest star, Troi works a lot better than Q did on DS9. There are some nice moments between her and Odo, though the other plot involving O'Brien's 'computer puppy' isn't as interesting.

1x18 "Dramatis Personae" - The crew begins to act strangely after a Klingon ship returns from the Gamma Quadrant and explodes. This one's pretty good. The script and the cast do a good job setting up all the paranoia and weird behavior. It's solid, but not really all that remarkable.

1x19 "Duet" - Kira attempts to get to the truth when a Cardassian boards the station who may be a vicious war criminal responsible for the deaths of thousands of Bajorans. Wow. What a great episode, filled with excellent dialogue and a really rockin performance from Harris Yulin as Maritza. Kira's struggles to decide between vengeance and justice is also well-drawn. After the pilot, 'Emissary,' this is probably the best episode of the whole season.

1x20 "In the Hands of the Prophets" - Vedek Winn comes aboard the station and stirs up trouble regarding the Federation school. Meanwhile, O'Brien tries to solve the murder of a young engineer and uncovers a dangerous plot that could destroy the relationship between Bajor and the Federation. Another great episode; Winn is a total bitch, but exactly the kind of slimy character this show needs. The mystery is well written, the cast is all doing a great job, and the tension is palpable. The only problem I have is that there's this great slow-motion climax... nearly ruined by Sisko's "Noooo!" and awkward slow-mo dive to save the day. Pulls me right out of a great scene. Oh well. Season One still goes out on a high note.

Jun 13, 2006
I've always liked "Move Along Home" precisely because it's one of those weird, TOS-ish high-concept episodes that actually seems to work in the DS9 framework. Other attempts, like "The Storyteller" just don't seem as at home on DS9.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x01 "The Homecoming" - Kira rescues a Bajoran war hero from a Cardassian prison camp. Meanwhile, a dangerous group of extremists begins plotting a takeover of the Bajoran government. The first part of three, (and Trek's first three-parter) this one, to me, feels like it's still part of season one. It builds right off the ideas presented in "In the Hands of the Prophets." It's well-written, with a little action and some political intrigue that keeps things moving.

2x02 "The Circle" - Relieved of her post, Kira spends time at a Bajoran monastery and grows closer to Bareil. Meanwhile, the Circle continues their plans to overthrow the Bajoran government and orders the Bajoran military to seize Deep Space Nine. Second part, just as good as the first. Vedek Winn once again makes me want to punch her in the face. Frank Langella as Minister Jaro is a little meh... there's not much life in his performance; he seems disinterested.

2x03 "The Siege" - Sisko, O'Brien and the DS9 crew hide aboard the station and conduct guerilla warfare against the Bajoran military while Kira and Dax make a desperate run to Bajor to expose the Cardassians as the suppliers of the Circle's weapons. In all honesty, I think this episode should be the first season finale. This three-parter flows so well right after "In the Hands of the Prophets," that I don't think they should've been separated by a 3-month hiatus. Of course, the benefit of watching them on DVD is that the hiatus is negated. Still, it's all well and good. This episode moves along at a nice clip, has solid performances from the cast, nice action and special effects, etc. A very finely-produced hour of television.

2x04 "Invasive Procedures" - The crew is held hostage when a group of mercenaries boards the station and demands that Dax give up her symbiont. Not a bad episode by any stretch, but not a great one. It's the second episode in a row to feature the crew alone on the station under duress, and also repeats some of the same themes as last season's "Dax." But it has its moments, a couple of short little fights, etc.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com

1x13 "Battle Lines" - Sisko, Opaka, Kira and Bashir take a trip through the wormhole, but their ship crashes on a prison world where the prisoners are engulfed in an unending war, since none of them can die. I like this one; the characters aren't very deeply drawn, but I really like the story involving Opaka and how important she is to Kira and the Bajorans. I only wish it had been followed up on later, but Opaka only reappears later as a Prophet phantom. Boo.

Oddly enough I watched this ep last night on a whim. I couldn't help but think the exact same thing about a follow up episode. The episode itself was only average, but generally when DS9 did an episode like that and had a loose thread left at the end it was a setup for a future episode.

This one just seemed to much of "we need to replace the actor" or something.

And as for "Move Along Home". I swear to god... this one ranks right up there with Spocks Brain and Threshold for me.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
And as for "Move Along Home". I swear to god... this one ranks right up there with Spocks Brain and Threshold for me.
Incidentally, Robert Hewitt Wolfe just called "Move Along Home" his least favorite DS9 episode (that he didn't write).

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
in my mind, it's the only flat-out bad episode of the first season. there are some that don't really work, some that have one element or another that drags it down... but that's the only one that's just really bad.

Tupperfan

Forgot to bring booze...
Sep 16, 2009
The bush, Canada
I'm also going back and watching DS9, albeit at a way slower pace. Duet is next (I'm excited!) and I must admit there's a decent amount of episodes I just never watched (trying to get to watch or record Trek was quite the challenge in my family back then). That said, DS9 is by far the one I watched the higher percentage of episodes of them all (and yes, I call myself a Trek fan)

As for Move Along Home. Yeah, it's a complete waste. As Brik assessed, others don't always work, but that one!

I mean: A society of gamer geeks?!? No, Star Trek, no: You don't need to cater to your demographics that much!

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
See now it's not the concept that bothers me. An entire species who's singular goal in life has become newer more challenging games, and gambling etc... There's nothing more unrealistic about that than the Ferengi or the Klingons.

It's the implementation of it in the episode that sucked. And it sucked bad. There seemed to be no coherence to it at all. And we all knew it was a "game" so at the end when everyone is fine there's no relief because we all saw it coming anyways.

It was just a badly implemented concept.

Spock's Brain - Awful concept

Threshold - Half decent concept that you can tell Braga just didn't have the chops to flesh out, so it completely lost its focus.

Move Along Home - Decent concept, handled in such a "one off" measure that nobody seemed to care about how it was done.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Point agreed on Spock's Brain.

I think you can further separate the other two by saying Move Along Home is the kind of awful that's just plain boring.

Threshold at least had the virtue of holding my interest until after the warp 10 flight when it got ridiculous.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x05 "Cardassians" - Garak and Bashir investigate the case of a Cardassian war orphan who may actually be the son of a prominent Cardassian politician and enemy of Gul Dukat. The concept of the war orphans is an intriguing one, and though it's only touched upon briefly in a greater scale than just the one boy, it makes for a pretty interesting premise for the episode. Garak, of course, is awesome. Andrew Robinson plays him with such delight that he's just incredible to watch. And the ultimate twist regarding Dukat's long-con is pretty awesome, too, a really good precursor to showing us just how twisted and sick he can be later on in the show.

2x06 "Melora" - Bashir falls for a young ensign he's treating to improve her muscular structure after years growing up in a low-gravity environment. This one's alright, there are some sweet romantic moments but otherwise it's not a particularly great or important episode. The subplot involving Quark and Odo is more fun, since those two characters are pretty great together in general.

2x07 "Rules of Acquisition" - Quark is tasked by Zek to open negotiations with alien traders from the Gamma Quadrant, but soon realizes there's more to the mission than he originally thought. As I said, I enjoy the Ferengi comedy episodes more than most. This one's not too great, though Zek gets a few good scenes. The alien traders are weird, they just look human but with very TOS-looking face paint. Really the best part of the episode is that this is the first time the Dominion is mentioned. I recall when watching the show back when it was first airing that meant nothing to me, but now it gives me a little chill of anticipation.

2x08 "Necessary Evil" - An attempt on Quark's life re-opens an investigation Odo failed to solve years earlier and one that may make him reevaluate his relationship with Major Kira. This is a pretty good look into what makes Odo tick, and gives us a glimpse into his past with both Kira and on the station. I like the direction and design of the flashback sequences; Terok Nor seems like a really friggin' shitty place. It kind of makes me wonder what prompted Quark to open a bar there, though.

2x09 "Second Sight" - Sisko falls for a mysterious woman he meets on the Promenade only to discover she has a doppelganger married to a prominent Federation scientist. I don't care for this one. It moves too slowly and ultimately doesn't do enough to dig into Sisko's feelings regarding the death of his wife or Jake's feelings about Sisko dating someone else.

2x10 "Sanctuary" - Millions of alien refugees come through the wormhole, believing Bajor to be their prophesied chosen land. Unfortunately, the Bajoran government refuses their request to resettle. This episode is noteworthy for having Walter Koenig's son Andrew as a guest star. Much of the episode isn't that great, but the second half is better than the first. I definitely like the climax and the ending, where both sides part with remorse and regret.

2x11 "Rivals" - An El Aurian con-man opens a rival gambling establishment that threatens to put Quark out of business, but his games may be doing something strange to the crew. I don't really care for this one. The subplot involving O'Brien and Bashir's racquetball game is a lot more fun, mostly because I enjoy watching those two characters interact. I just get a big 'meh' from this episode, though.

2x12 "The Alternate" - Dr. Mora arrives on the station claiming to have found Odo's homeworld, but a trip to the Gamma Quadrant nearly kills the away team and may have done something strange to Odo. There are some pretty crappy special effects at work in this one, and the story contains no real revelations about Odo's people, so it's ultimately kind of empty and disappointing. I do like the glimpses into Odo's past, however, and Dr. Mora himself is a well-written and well-played character.

2x13 "Armageddon Game" - Bashir and O'Brien are hunted by an alien military attempting to kill all the witnesses to a scientific experiment they participated in. This episode pretty well cements O'Brien and Bashir's friendship, so it's great for that one. Top it with some nice action and special effects, as well as a cool story premise, and this one is a winner.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
2x10 "Sanctuary" - Millions of alien refugees come through the wormhole, believing Bajor to be their prophesied chosen land. Unfortunately, the Bajoran government refuses their request to resettle. This episode is noteworthy for having Walter Koenig's son Andrew as a guest star. Much of the episode isn't that great, but the second half is better than the first. I definitely like the climax and the ending, where both sides part with remorse and regret.
I really hated the alien costumes in this one, especially the hair.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x14 "Whispers" - After returning from a mission to the Gamma Quadrant, O'Brien begins to notice the crew behaving strangely, even conspiring against him. I really like this episode. It works at a nice pace, and the ultimate twist is satisfying - the O'Brien duplicate is so good it actually derails the assassination plot. We learn a lot of this right at the end, but much of the episode is devoted to O'Brien trying to figure out the truth and the crew trying to shut him out. It's all very well-played. Props.

2x15 "Paradise" - Sisko and O'Brien are stranded on a world where technology doesn't work, and under the thumb of a woman who will do anything to make sure they don't leave. Not a bad episode. It's pretty well made, but it doesn't really rise above the level of "okay". The leader of the colony is a total bitch, and I'm glad Sisko saw her for the criminal she is.

2x16 "Shadowplay" - Dax and Odo investigate a series of disappearances on an alien world where the inhabitants are not all they seem. This episode was pretty well-ripped off later on 'Enterprise', but it works a bit better here. But like the last episode, it's mostly a pretty disposable entry.

2x17 "Playing God" - Dax and her new Trill Initiate encounter engine trouble in the wormhole and discover a proto-universe that could eventually destroy their own. I like this one for the glimpse into Dax's character and how difficult it must be to reconcile the differences of seven lifetimes worth of pushy personalities. The climax also features some nifty special effects.

2x18 "Profit and Loss" - Quark is reunited with an old flame, but he discovers she's embroiled in dangerous political work that could reshape the Cardassian Empire. I don't care for this one. The characters are fun, I always like having Garak around because he adds such an air of unpredictability to things. But I don't care for the romance between Quark and Natima.

2x19 "Blood Oath" - Kang, Koloth and Kor reunite with Dax aboard Deep Space Nine to settle an old blood feud between them and a terrorist called "The Albino." I really like this one; bringing back some of the TOS Klingons and exploring some of the history of Curzon Dax... and then having some killin' at the end make this one a lot of fun.

2x20 "The Maquis, Part I" - When a Cardassian ship is destroyed by a terrorist bomb, the Deep Space Nine crew discovers that Federation colonists have banded together to start a new war against the Cardassians in the Demilitarized Zone, and one of Sisko's oldest friends is their new leader. Love these ones; I've always really liked the Maquis concept. Voyager never really went anywhere with it, which is too bad, but DS9 has a number of great episodes featuring them.

2x21 "The Maquis, Part II" - Sisko tries to save his friend's career and reputation while still bringing down the Maquis and exposing the Cardassian Central Command's role in supplying weapons to Cardassian colonists. Again, great episode. The scene where Sisko lies to Admiral Necheyev about Hudson is well-played. I also love the scene where Sisko tells Dukat the Central Command hung him out to dry. Marc Alaimo's performance, as usual, is spot-on.

2x22 "The Wire" - An implant in Garak's brain is killing him, but he tries his best to refuse treatment from Doctor Bashir, who is desperate to save his friend. I love this episode. Garak is such a fantastic character, and Andrew Robinson plays him perfectly. The different versions of the story he gives Bashir about why he's exiled are fantastic (and suddenly I'm reminded of the Joker's "wanna know how I got these scars?" in "The Dark Knight"). The final lines of the episode are also classic: "My dear Doctor, they were all true." "Even the lies?" "Especially the lies." So awesome.

2x23 "Crossover" - Upon returning through the wormhole, Bashir and Kira find themselves stuck in the Mirror Universe where the evil Terran Empire has fallen, and humans are treated as slaves by an Alliance of Bajorans, Klingons and Cardassians. Love this episode. Unlike previous TOS throwbacks, this episode works great. The direction helps; there are a lot of weird, awkward angles to illustrate the strangeness of the Mirror Universe, and the script is good, too. The cast is clearly having fun playing their evil counterparts, especially Kira and Sisko. I'm also really glad this became a recurring storyline in the show, too. Oh and Bashir totally explodes mirror Odo!

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
2x24 "The Collaborator" - A Bajoran who collaborated with the Cardassians tries to return home, claiming that Vedek Bareil may have given information to the Cardassians that led to the deaths of Bajoran resistance fighters during the war, information that could derail Bareil's bid to become the next Kai. This is a great episode, I just have two problems with it: Firstly, Bareil's orb experiences grow repetitive. He seems to have the same dream a couple different times in this episode, and after the first one I was pretty much like, "I get it already." Secondly, I kinda hate the actor playing Bareil. He's so wooden, he has no charisma at all and no chemistry with Nana Visitor. Otherwise, this is a great episode and just makes me hate Winn all the more. It's amazing how she can say such incredibly insulting things to people right in front of her, in that almost cheery "it's good for you, child" tone... Awesome.

2x25 "Tribunal" - O'Brien is arrested and put on trial on Cardassia Prime, charged with selling photon torpedoes to the Maquis. While Odo attempts to break through the Cardassian bureaucracy, Sisko and the others race to find evidence to prove his innocence. Man, the Cardassian legal system is a fucking joke. It's so absurd, I really wanted the characters to show more contempt for it than they do. The best part is easily O'Brien's overly-theatrical "lawyer" and his reaction at the end when Odo says, "You won."

2x26 "The Jem'Hadar" - On a trip to the Gamma Quadrant, Sisko and Quark are captured by the vicious soldiers of the Dominion, the Jem'Hadar. Kira and the rest of the DS9 crew get backup from Starfleet to mount a rescue mission, with disastrous consequences and a dark omen for the future. Wow. A great episode, from start to finish. The Jem'Hadar are extremely menacing, the twist regarding Eris is great, and the climactic battle is awesome. The Jem'Hadar's suicide run to destroy the Odyssey is a huge moment for the series, and the show gives it all the gravity it needs. Epic.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Couldn't agree more Cymro. The entire episode was built up to give us that feeling of "Oh they've got a Galaxy class ship, you're fucked now!" and then they completely snatch that away from you.