Cold Earth

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
This is thread will be dedicated to my creation, Cold Earth, which has really sparked my imagination, I've been randomly coming up with great ideas recently, so it looks like this shit is happening.

Cold Earth is to be written like a TV show. The premise is that an accident caused the earth to fall into a new ice age, and as a result humanity has been forced to unite (reluctantly) and work together to keep everyone alive. Most humans live in gigantic shelters, designed to hold thousands of people, which they are not allowed to leave unless they're specifically told to(this is to make sure valuable skills aren't lost, and in all likelyhood they'd die). Food is limited, as the Entire population must survive on what is produced in a network of biodomes. Due to the fact that everyone must depend on eachother, lazyness is not tolerated, everyone must do whatever work they are assigned, or will simply not be fed. The series itself will be around a group of characters who are being moved between shelters, and their helicopter crashes, leaving them to fend for themselves in the cold, and they find that there is more going on outside the shelters than a major climate change....

Oh, and if this were a real TV show, the theme song would be Coldplay's "Politik" with the lyrics reordered as follows:

Look at earth from outer space
Everyone must find a place
Give me time and give me space
Give me real, don't give me fake

Give me strength, reserve control
Give me heart and give me soul
Give me peace of mind and trust
Don't forget the rest of us

And open up your eyes
Open up your eyes
Open up your eyes
Open up your eyes

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Everything humanity has created over the last 5000 years is being systematically catalogued, recorded and destroyed. They see evidence of this in the first episode but they won't really know what's going on until later in the season, but the pilot episode will leave them wondering about it.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Cymro said:
Everything humanity has created over the last 5000 years is being systematically catalogued, recorded and destroyed. They see evidence of this in the first episode but they won't really know what's going on until later in the season, but the pilot episode will leave them wondering about it.
Well you spoiled it for me now. Bastard.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
The thing's shaping up. It's almost completely different to how I originally saw it. Originally, it was going to be set in the 2030s, and in the first episode we'd see the original accident that caused the ice age in 2015, they'd be in a helicopter crash, and the few survivors would try and find their way to the nearest shelter thingy, and they'd inadvertantly discover people scanning a building, and the villains would take them in and struggle to explain what was going on. The lead character would see a landmark in the distance and realise that the whole city's being recorded and destroyed and turn on the villains. Then they'd end up wandering the icey planes trying to reach the nearest shelter so they could tell someone.

That wouldn't have worked.

So now it's going to start out as a cop show action drama set in one of these shelters, where I'll be dropping a few hints here and there that lead to a big revelation later on, and eventually it will end up nothing like it was at the beginning.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Still in the uber complex mental picture stage. Every time I start writing a pilot episode I decide to change the premise and the principal characters, but I'm definately getting happier with it. As with pretty much everything I try to create, the finished product has barely anything in common with the original idea as far as direction goes. The original lead is now a reccurring character, one of the supporting characters has been elevated to the lead character and has had a gender swap, most of the other regulars have been replaced and I'm still tweeking it. I'll be a while, and I haven't even mapped out the storylines properly.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Take your time man, I'm sure GR didn't come up with the premise for Trek in the first draft, hell they were still tweaking it 5 or 6 episodes in. United Starship Enterprise anyone?