Capitalism, or facism? One more reason I'm glad to be Canadian and not American.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Link

My god, this is absolutley ridiculous. So by this ruling, a town could bulldoze your home to put in a coffeeshop, and justify it by saying that it will create jobs and is good for the community.

Could someone tell me when the US went from Capitalist to communist? The Patriot Act is one thing, but this is completley absurd, compensation or not this is completley in the face of common sense.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
I know, and it's not even on a federal level. You're LOCAL govt can do it. Meaning that someone in the same town who stands to profit from it directly can do it. I mean, it's possible that even a business owner who is also a politician could use this to his advantage in what seems like a very unconstituional way. Again, I'm not American, and I'm not very well versed on your rights etc, but doesn't this fly in the face of your almighty constitution?

Space Goat

"It's a faaaake!"
Jan 1, 1970
Washington, D.C.
www.hypersyl.com
Bean said:
I know, and it's not even on a federal level. You're LOCAL govt can do it. Meaning that someone in the same town who stands to profit from it directly can do it. I mean, it's possible that even a business owner who is also a politician could use this to his advantage in what seems like a very unconstituional way. Again, I'm not American, and I'm not very well versed on your rights etc, but doesn't this fly in the face of your almighty constitution?
You're right, Bean. It violates the Fifth Amendment. I wrote about the issue here today.

Closet Racist

Aug 2, 2004
Vortex 4.
Bean said:
Link

My god, this is absolutley ridiculous. So by this ruling, a town could bulldoze your home to put in a coffeeshop, and justify it by saying that it will create jobs and is good for the community.

Could someone tell me when the US went from Capitalist to communist? The Patriot Act is one thing, but this is completley absurd, compensation or not this is completley in the face of common sense.

You are obviously a communist AND a terrorist... :greengun:

Space Goat

"It's a faaaake!"
Jan 1, 1970
Washington, D.C.
www.hypersyl.com
iamspen said:
You mean the Fourth Amendment, right?
The Fourth Amendment is protection from search and seizure without a warrant.

Fourth Amendment said:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Cymro said:
I think the US constitution needs to be changed into a dynamic webpage, so your government can add, remove and edit any time it wants.
Actually, that isn't a bad idea...a Wiki of the Constitution...

That could be fun.