Bockfest - an Astrobar original text-based documentary

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
Bockfest, an annual Cincinnati festival celebrating the ability of Cincinnatians to get boozed up by encouraging them to get boozed up, takes place next weekend. The festival was created to celebrate the beginning of bock season, when German monks began brewing dark, nutritious, high-alcohol lager that literally replaced food during the Lenten fast.

Cincinnatians decided the best way to celebrate this tradition was complete irreverence, leading to one of the strangest and, not coincidentally, most awesome beer festivals on the planet.

In this thread, I'll post pictures - some may even be my own, if I can remember to take them in my drunken stupor - to illustrate the oddity of this festival. I may even present factual (or "factual") tidbits to give you an idea of the absurdity of what's happening.

The lunacy actually starts the weekend before Bockfest, when organizers burn a snowman in effigy to ward off bad weather in an event they call, "Precipitation Retaliation." I missed this bit, as I'll miss the parade, because of my stupid fucking job, but here are pictures nonetheless.

(Photo courtesy someone else - probably a drunk bastard)

Bockfest proper kicks off with the world's strangest parade, save perhaps some that occur in San Francisco. Leading off the parade is a goat pulling a barrel of bock.

Following that is a giant goat made of bock barrels.

(Don't drink Hudepohl, it's vile.)

Yes, those responsible for pulling the giant goat, as well as leading the real goat, dress as monks.

During the parade, the Sausage Queen is presented. The Sausage Queen is determined during a pageant held during the week, for which I'm sure there's no discernible criteria.

(The Sausage Queen from some undetermined year last decade)

The Sausage Queen is sponsored by Little Kings. Don't drink Little Kings, it's vile.

iamspenagain

Cymro's Bitch
Jan 1, 1970
The Nast 'Nati, Ohio
Following the Sausage Queen is a motorized bathtub, because why not?

Following the bathtub are a bunch of nobodies who show up to the parade starting point an hour beforehand. Sometimes, they're groups that build cool floats or papier-mache goats or something. Sometimes, they're drunk dudes who want to be in a parade. Doesn't really matter to the Bockfest organizers.

One of the coolest things to come out of Bockfest, though, is the art. The posters are always spectacularly awesome.

Plus, Bockfest gives me an excuse to drink Moerlein Emancipator. If you can find Moerlein, drink it. It's not vile.

Hopefully, more pictures to come, and they may even be original!