Awww...my new computer's growing up!

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
In other words

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

FUCK

FUCK FUCK

Yeah, so the new PC's had it's first major spaz. The Primary HD has gone completely psycho, probably because I fucked around with the boot sector too much, but it seems to be working now. I had noticed that the XP partition was coughing up a shitload of disk errors but I thought it was just Azeureus being shitty.

Only problem is I can't install XP because my best mate has the disk and the fucker's in France (this post brought to you by Windows Vista: Ultimate Crapfest Edition), and I've probably lost most of my Game save data, as well as some minor bits and pieces that are replaceable, but I'd rather not. Yipeee!

Good news is my second HD, where I store most of my crap like Software installers, Music, Films etc. is working perfectly, and nearly all of that stuff is backed up on the old machine anyway. But still, this is totally fucked up - I was planning on reformatting the fucking thing THIS WEEKEND and I could have avoided the data loss.

Worst thing is, this is what happened to my old PC when I fucked around with Linux on that too.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Moral of the story is that if you do fuck around with your hard disks, back up first.

I don't really understand how this happened though - I partitioned the drive into 3 parts when I first got it, cause I knew I wanted one XP, one other OS and one for Application installs, the only one I used for Linux and Vista was the second one - which was working fine, but I noticed yesterday that the XP bit was choc-full of errors and before I could fix it stopped rebooting.

This cheered me up though:

link

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
See, this is why I'm glad software piracy exists. Someone has my discs, I can't get them back, so I just download a new one. It's great, it's not illegal and the only way of doing it is via filesharing because nobody else offers a similar service.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I own a copy of the game, I have the receipts to prove it. It actually is illegal in this country, but technically so is downloading and burning off from iTunes - it's not enforced and will be changed.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
So, I've just done my fourth or fifth reformat in the last three weeks. I've changed the SATA cable incase it was faulty, but if this install gets corrupt I'm gonna have to take advantage of the warranty and rob an IDE drive from the old machine for the time being. I should NOT be having these kinds of problems with a 3 month old HD.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Well, the CPU's been redlining on temperature while rendering on LW and playing COD4 (i.e. prolonged periods of heavy CPU loads). I took the Heatsink off and the thermal gel stuff seems to have vanished(?), and it's been warm recently. I can still run the thing but I don't want to risk it overheating so I'm running the old machine till I can buy more of that shitty paste for the CPU.

Needed to do some maintainance on this old piece of shit anyway, I leave it in the Living Room as a media center and it keeps crashing. Seems to have been a software issue as I've reformatted and it's running fine now. I suppose that's what I get for setting it up half assed.

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Well, old PC is working fine. New layer of thermal paste has my new CPU running at a nice temp. I also fucked with some BIOS settings and managed to get an extra 500 rpm out of my CPU fan (when I want to)

Everything's awesome, I rule.

Last edited:

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Well, not at the same time. Though now that you mention it I might try it for shits and giggles :p. The thing is, it was hitting 70-75 degrees (C) the other day, and redline's at 65, meltdown's about 80, and it starts kicking apps at 75 (annoying crashes). It's been nice and warm today again, but it hasn't gone over 59.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Erm...ok. I can see it now; "Got Menopause? Try new Thermal Gel for Women, guaranteed to prevent hot flashes when you need it the most!" *Images of some middle-aged housewife trying to seduce a buff young plumber* "Get yours now, only 6.99 at all good pharmacies!"

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
So erm, I blew my graphics card up last week by being lazy with a power cable. The best thing is, the card model has now been discontinued, so now I have credit equal to the price I originally paid for it. As you can imagine, technology's moved on in the last 9 months and so what I'll be getting will in fact be superior to what I've lost.

Mwahaha

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I'm not saying that. I mean, I turned on my Mac once and haven't powered it off since, but still... Not saying that.

I'm just expressing sympathy cuz it sucks to keep losing drives and cards.