Arik Re: Pms

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
Arik, I've sent you a couple of PMs over the last week, to which i have recieved no response, have you not gotten around to reading/replying yet, or have they gotten lost in the mail?

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
OK, just checked my sent items, apparanty the one I typed out 2 days ago was never sent, so I'll ask you now: if I want to make a "back end" for my own website, which programming language is best and caould you recomend any books?

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
PHP/MySQL if you're not going to be on a Windows server.

ASP.NET/MSSQL or Access if you're going to be on a Windows server.

Check out sites like Hotscripts for any already made scripts (chances are, someone's already made one).

As far as books, Rasmus Lesdorf (the guy who wrote PHP) has a good one from O'Reilly. I learned from a slightly more advanced book, "PHP and MySQL Web Development". However, the manual (I linked above) has a lot of good information for free.

I don't know ASP, so I couldn't reccomend any books for that.

Arik

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 1, 2010
Perl is basically a text-processing language that was mangled into working on the web. Both PHP and ASP are languages that were developed to run websites.

I dislike Perl for running websites because of the fact that your backend is running out of a different folder than the rest of your site (the 'cgi-bin' folder) which I think creates more problems than it solves.

But yeah, Perl is a more mature language. You'll find, however, that many sites are going more towards a PHP solution than a Perl.

Stag

It's me again
Jan 1, 1970
Florida
Unrelated, really, but when I first read the topic post, I thought Cym was asking you if you had PMS and that's why you weren't responding to him.

Take some Pamprin MAN!!