Another video project - this time, SG-1

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
After I was kinda disappointed by "The Ark of Truth", I kinda got the idea in my head that there already existed a better SG-1 movie - "Lost City". This episode was everything "Ark of Truth" should have been - a taught, focused, and epic story. It certainly feels much more like a movie than "Ark of Truth" ever does. But I wondered if it could be even more.

I'm not sure if this will work. But here's the idea:

The first twenty minutes are SG-1 on Abydos in "Full Circle", defending the temple from Anubis and discovering the tablet that talks about the lost city.

The next ten or fifteen minutes is the discovery of the Ancient ruins and the subsequent (and awesome) gun battle against the Jaffa (minus the stuff with O'Neill being injured) from "Heroes". Then we'll just play "Lost City" straight until the end, where the final battle will be beefed up by Mitchell's flashbacks from "Avalon" in Season 9.

Thoughts? I felt like including bits of "Full Circle" as a prologue works to introduce the Ancients as the ascended beings and who Anubis is as well as the first mentions of the lost city. It also opens the movie with a bit of a bang, which continues into the "Heroes" segment. This might lead to pacing issues, since "Lost City" isn't exactly heavy on the action until the second half save for the scene where O'Neill sticks his head in the Ancient database device.

I've thought about cutting some of the more expository scenes with Dr. Weir - let's face it, those were basically done for anyone who'd never watched the show before, and the most obvious remnants that "Lost City" was hastily redone as a season finale instead the movie it was intended to be.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I like it, though I'm not sure about adding segments from "Heroes". Don't get me wrong, I love the episode, I just don't see what it has to do with the Lost City storyline.

Maybe since there's no CGI work you'll actually finish this one? :p

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Well, I finished "Best of Both Worlds", I just didn't update the effects like I wanted to.

As for "Heroes," there's a scene in "Lost City" where Daniel mentions that he was translating something that an SG team found on some ruins that leads him to believe the Ancient database is there. I thought the implication was that it was the ruins they found in "Heroes". Maybe I got it wrong... Still, it can probably be reasonably fudged. Those action sequences in "Heroes" were some of the best the show ever did, I thought.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I just realized I was never getting anywhere with it. I kept going back and redoing shots that I had previously been happy with. I never found a quality public mesh of the Galileo shuttle, nor am I good enough at modeling to have made on myself. I made some progress modeling the rock creature, but that sucked and I kept starting that over and over again, too.

I think ultimately, it was just too ambitious a project for my level of talent. Kinda like Shatner? I do really want to do it, but I just don't have what I need to get it done. And now that I have less free time than I've ever had in my life, it's just that much harder. So I can do these editing projects because they take up far less time than anything involving the CG work.

Which is kinda sad... I do love doing all those animations, and I made some good progress on the movie.

I guess anyone who wants to see the "Best of Both Worlds" thing can PM me an address and I'll start burning some DVDs.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I would really like to do the D at some point. It certainly would be a challenge. It would be a piece of piss if it wasn't all one big piece with smooth curves, and the saucer separation would be an even bigger nightmare. That was the biggest trouble I had with my reimagined 1701 - I was trying to build it all as one piece with smooth lines between the different parts.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
I definitely wouldn't do it all in one piece. I think you could easily segment it off into layers and still have it 'flow'. If you look closely there are plenty of places where they did that on the physical model. There's no place on the ship where you couldn't get away with it. That might be one of the best aspects of the ship's design is that it doens't look modular in the slightest, but it totally is.