An excerpt from a reboot ep I'm working on...

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
I think he'd raise an eyebrow, but it's a tough choice. Writing this is an interesting experience, because I'm trying to write new material for these legendary characters without changing them. On of the problems with TV is that characters can sometimes act differently to usual, in order to serve the story, and the problem is picking what choice they'd make. For instance, Kirk was known for breaking the rules, but he's also known for upholding them. In this episode, he sides with Spock and sticks with the Prime Directive.

I think McCoy definately believes in God, just that he's not over the top about it. I think it's important in Trek at this time that there's some dealing with religion, since it's such a big issue at the moment. I think Ro mentioned something about making Uhura a muslim, with an accent, for the same reason they put a Russian on the bridge in TOS, and I think that's a good idea.

Last edited:

Deslok

regruntled and reemployed
Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
Cymro said:
I think he'd raise an eyebrow, but it's a tough choice. Writing this is an interesting experience, because I'm trying to write new material for these legendary characters without changing them. On of the problems with TV is that characters can sometimes act differently to usual, in order to serve the story, and the problem is picking what choice they'd make. For instance, Kirk was known for breaking the rules, but he's also known for upholding them. In this episode, he sides with Spock and sticks with the Prime Directive.
I think that he'd raise an eyebrow too, because his mind is focused on something that is troubling him. If he were distracted, then he would have no revelation of thought. And that would influence the direction of the story as well. Some people make the mistake that scriptwriting is the act of writing a lot of words. But so much more can be said by the exposition of the characters actions IMO.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
It was Seven's second year on the show, and I'd tend to agree. It had plenty of bad ones, but it had more good ones than any other season of Voyager. Season 4 would be a runner up.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
The important thing about Spock is that his role is that of the Devil's advocate. Deep down, he probably feels just the same way as McCoy, but he has to be the rational voice, because that's who he is and the role he serves both on the ship and dramatically, Spock and Bones are almost as if Kirk had a Devil and an Angel on each shoulder. As far as the eyebrow raise goes, I just think it's feel right, as the realisation aspect, and it also looks to McCoy as if Spock's dismissing the comment, which is what Spock would do.

Brikar

The Dude
Jan 1, 1970
Massachusetts
Deslok said:
I don't really remember which episodes were from which season of VOY. Was season 5 with Kes or Seven?
"Night" - Janeway secludes herself from the crew. Morale drops as Voyager tries to cross a 2-year expanse with no stars or planets.
"Drone" - A transporter malfunction melds the Doctor's mobile emitter with some of Seven's Borg nano-probes, creating an ultra-advanced Borg Drone.
"Extreme Risk" - Torres, depressed after hearing about the slaughter of the Maquis at the hands of the Dominion, begins turning off the safeties on dangerous holodeck programs.
"In the Flesh" - Voyager encounters Species 8472 training as human-form infiltrators.
"Once Upon a Time" - Neelix attempts to comfort Naomi as the Voyager crew attempts to locate the missing Delta Flyer.
"Timeless" - 15 years in the future, Chakotay and Harry defy Starfleet to change history and avert Voyager's tragic end.
"Infinite Regress" - Seven experiences multiple personality disorder.
"Nothing Human" - Torres life hangs in the balance as the Doctor activates a holographic representation of a supposed mass-murderer to save her.
"Thirty Days" - Tom Paris, demoted to ensign, spends a month in the brig after breaking the Prime Directive.
"Counterpoint" - Voyager smuggles telepathic refugees through enemy territory.
"Latent Image" - The Doctor suffers the consequences of having to choose between treating two equally wounded patients.
"Bride of Chaotica!" - Janeway must participate in Tom's holodeck sci-fi fantasy to save the ship from aliens who think it's all real.
"Gravity" - Tom and Tuvok are stranded on an alien planet where time moves at a slower pace.
"Bliss" - Seven and Naomi must save the ship from a creature capable of projecting fantasies into the crew's minds while it devours them.
"Dark Frontier" - The Borg Queen returns, and blackmails Seven into returning to the Borg.
"The Disease" - Kim has an affair with an alien woman, and becomes biologically linked to her.
"Course: Oblivion" - The crew races to save themselves as the ship "de-molecularizes."
"The Fight" - An alien race communicates with Chakotay through hallucinations.
"Think Tank" - A group of alien geniuses offers to help Voyager in exchange for Seven of Nine.
"Juggernaut" - The Voyager crew races to stop a Malon freighter from exploding.
"Someone to Watch Over Me" - The Doctor realizes he's falling in love with Seven.
"11:59" - Janeway's ancestor plays a key role in the future of space travel on Earth.
"Relativity" - Seven of Nine is recruited by temporal agents to travel to the past to save Voyager.
"Warhead" - A sentient missile takes control of the ship and sends it on a mission of destruction.
"Equinox, Part 1" - Voyager encounters another Starfleet ship in the Delta Quadrant which is murdering innocent aliens to fuel a new type of engine.

Deslok

Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
That was a good year for Voyager. I remember all of those. There were some decent concepts in that year. Thinking back on that now, I can't see why they went back to do a prequel after VOY, especially when it was done in such a way that made no sense. One thing is certain, VOY didn't lose the audience like ENT did.

Bean

The Awesome One
Jan 1, 1970
Canada eh!
cheese.com
Cymro, I just reread your new version. I've read alot of fanfiction as I'm sure we all have, but this one has a depth that most don't. I love it. I can just picture Spock and Bones having this conversation. Wether it be the new reboot actors, or the originals. It FEELS like TOS. I can't wait to read the whole thing.

And as for starting with the ending, in the little bit of writing I've done, I actually found this to be easier, because you know right wherre the story is going at all times, it tends to limit you from wandering or going off on a tangent.

Deslok

Jan 1, 1970
in front of the computer
@ Brikar:

Yes, since your posting, I've taken a good look at all the seasons of VOY, and in hindsight, I can only think that the purpose of ENT was to make VOY look good.

I guess the further we go forward from the death of the creator, the more it's going to change no matter who is in charge. I think the message has gotten distorted over time. I was watching the episode of VOY this weekend where Seven is the only one awake while everyone else is in suspended animation while the ship goes through a nebula, and it was better than I remembered it. Not one of my favorite episodes, but it struck me while I was watching it that Seven was treated far more respectfully than T'Pol was on ENT. They also didn't break from canon on VOY as much as they did on ENT.

Another thing occurred to me also, the episode featuring NOMAD seems almost like a predictive allegory to what happened with the whole Star Trek franchise. Two entities with different purposes fusing together to form a single misguided entity, that's what ENT was during the first two years. The Xindi arc was a step toward a solution, even though it seemed like they were borrowing heavily from Star Wars at the time. But ENT, like NOMAD, wound up self destructing once it realized that it had become faulty, even though there was still the chance it could be repaired.

Another thing about VOY in comparison to ENT was that VOY was (with the exception of Janeway) fairly consistent within its own premise. But the general outline and mission of Voyager was to simply get back home. Creating the story of the first Federation starship was apparently to daunting for TPTB.

Cymro

Religious Fanatic
Nov 30, 1999
Shitsville, CF63
The more I think about it, the more I realise that Paramount, Rick Berman and Brannon Braga, without resorting to namecalling, were just not right for the job. They ran the franchise to the ground by refusing to take risks where risks mattered and just misinterpreting Trek altogether.

And Bean, thanks a lot. Those are the kinds of moments that I loved on Trek, and when I was writing the first scene for this episode, this final scene popped into my head and I had to write it down before I forgot it.

It now looks like the story will be a two parter, and I've practically re-written everything except this scene. I'm a perfectionist, so I'm constantly criticising myself, which is a gift and a curse, because most of the time it means I just get pissed off and quit altogether. Hopefully when I'm finished it'll be excellent.